PDA

View Full Version : New here! Anyone with crabs? ;)

CrabbyMomma
04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
HERMIT CRABS! I started crabbing back in December and now have five different species and a total of 25 crabs. They are fascinating little creatures and each has there own personality and behaviors. If you care to see pics of the crabs and their crabitats click here! (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/ACD_Mom/)

I also have a Australian Cattle Dog, a cat, and 2 Blue Gourami fish, but really it's all about the crabs. :D I'm sure I'll share more pics as time goes on.

I look forward to seeing everyone's critters!

sweetpatata6
04-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I have two hermies. Cermit, and Michelle. They both love me and others, and love baths, to be sprayed ((misted evryother day pretty much)), and held.

Chilli
04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
How neat! I've always thought Hermit Crabs were pretty neat, but never ventured into the world of owning one. I love the habitat(or should I say Crabitat!) you have for them in the 55g. It looks really great! :D

Welcome to PT. =]

Genny
04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
my mom's friend got her little girl one the other day. I've nevr had one--- I've had a little crab in my tank before--but not a hermit crab. I like all animlas, but I'm just not a crab person I guess ;) your crab is cute though!

critter crazy
04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I am sorry, but I just had to laugh at the title!!! Ha ha ha ha!! Never owned any crabs, but i think they are pretty neat!

ramanth
04-17-2007, 08:58 AM
I owned two hermit crabs years ago. :) I'm always tempted when I see them, but the Inn is a bit full right now. *laughs*

Though I must say... Cattle Dog love!!! I have a Husky/ACD mix. :D

Twisterdog
04-17-2007, 09:33 AM
My son had two hermit crabs when he was younger. They were pretty cute little guys. My son was about three when we got them and I asked him what he wanted to name them. I was expecting Bob and Joe or something like that. He thinks a minute and says, "Ummmmm .... HorseyJoat and MinnieOat." LMAO! And those were their names, for years and years.

We also had a couple of little crabs, don't know what kind, that lived in our fish tank. They were SO cute.

I had an ACD for twelve years. She was quite the personality.

Welcome to PT.

Miss Z
04-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm still LMAO'ing at the title :D ;)

Welcome to PT, I think that your crabs are really cool little things! My name is Zara, and I see you already had a look at my rodent lot. :) I look forward to seeing more of your pets.

CrabbyMomma
04-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I know, not everyone is crabby. Some people look at my crabs and get a little creeped out (DH included! LOL). Most think their tanks are cool and the crabs are OK. And everyone pretty much thinks I'm out of mind for the way I care for them. I prepare their food ahead of time, cutting and freezing various organic fruits and veggies, the get organic baby food, and I order various herbs online for them. Worm castings, oyster shell, cuttlebone. I make them tuna and scrambled eggs (with the shell of course), and a special oatmeal just for them. Shrimp, krill, silversides and even the occasional crawfish. Yes, it's true...the crabs eat better than we do most of the time! :D

Alysser
04-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I have had 6 hermit crabs in total, and they do make wonderful pets. Very easy to care for, yet you can take them out of their cage and they can be fun. We always bought them around the NJ shore though, we never caught our own. Are your "wild" ones tamed?

Mine were named Maryann, Gilligan, Scooby, Scrappy, Big Joe, and Shelldan.

Marie Elizabeth
08-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Got hermit crab myself has seem 3 month