PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Tragedy in Blacksburg, VA (VA Tech)

Logan
04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I have heard that as many as 32 are dead as a result of a shooting at VA Tech. How horrible.

:(

Karen
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
They keep revising the number, maybe 21 dead, ten injured ... I have emailed Ceph, the Pet Talk member who attends Virginia Tech, and I'll let you all know if and when she responds.

DrKym
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Prayers that she is unhurt and unharmed....how awful for all involved!

pitc9
04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
They keep revising the number, maybe 21 dead, ten injured ... I have emailed Ceph, the Pet Talk member who attends Virginia Tech, and I'll let you all know if and when she responds.

OH NO!! :eek:
I pray we hear from her SOON!!!

king2005
04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
How sad :(

Alysser
04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I hope Ceph is okay! :eek:

From what my mom told me, the sicko was looking for his girlfriend. He shot 31 people and injured 29. This is so sick, I feel terrible the students families. Barley any details yet, on this case.

I hope the sicko rots in hell! :mad:

Daisy and Delilah
04-16-2007, 01:58 PM
CNN reporting 31 dead now. :( I hope Ceph is okay too. I feel so bad for everybody up there and their families. How tragic :(

elizabethann
04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
How horrible. I hope the PTer is okay. Please keep us posted.

JenBKR
04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I feel so sick over this. I just read the article online. I am praying for everyone at VA Tech and their families. I hope we can hear from Ceph soon and all is well.

Logan
04-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Fox News is reporting 32 dead. :( I had forgotten that Ceph was there. I prayer for all of them, too.

Logan

Karen
04-16-2007, 03:01 PM
I have heard from Ceph. She is okay, but in shock, and needs time to think before she posts anything.

ramanth
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
SO happy to hear Ceph is okay.

Prayers to the families of the dead and injured. :( So sad. :(

Alysser
04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Thank god Ceph is okay! :D I can understand her shock though, she is probably very upset, as most of the people there are. :(

DrKym
04-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Glad to hear Ceph is ok. I am certain she is in shock , what an awful thing to deal with!

Prayers for all those touched by this horror.

Randi
04-16-2007, 03:14 PM
It really is sad!! So many young people die for no reason!! :( :(

I'm glad to hear that Ceph is OK. :)

My thoughts go out to the families and friends of the victims.

lvpets2002
04-16-2007, 03:18 PM
:( Oh this is just so horrible.. So glad Ceph is ok.. I still am at witts end on Why Why do people do stuff like this.. Why Could This SOB take his own life before he took anyone elses.. No One No One Has The Right To Take AnyOne's Life.. These people had familys & their lives to live.. I am sorry I am just upset with all of this.. Please Let Us All Pray for the Lives Lost & for their Familys.. Lets Pray for the Lives Left to be able to come out of this trauma..

cmichael88
04-16-2007, 03:26 PM
This is indeed horrible. It is absolutely senseless. Fox News is saying 32 dead, and I believe around 29 wounded with at least 2 in critical condition.

What I don't understand is that they didn't send an email out to students until 2 hours after the first shooting. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

Karen
04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, Ceph just asks that everyone pray for those who were killed and injured. I will add and their friends and families as well.

Marigold2
04-16-2007, 04:22 PM
All those poor people, this sicko has hurt hundreds of people, those that lived will be traumatized for life. I have no pity for that person at all.

Ginger's Mom
04-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes, I was in line at the Post Office when I heard people talking about this. I still haven't had a chance to turn the news on yet (will do so now). One of my co-workers took off a few days last week to visit three colleges in Virginia with her son. :( And that was the first thing I thought of. Can you even imagine sending your child off to college and getting a call like this. I am almost in tears now. Prayers for the family and friends of those killed, and for the recovery of those that were injured. :(

Edwina's Secretary
04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I have a friend whose only child attends there. I am so sickened by the whole thing. Horrible, disgusting, and I wish I could say unthinkable...

When will we as a nation figure out that handguns are usefully only for killing people????

Lady's Human
04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
This was a tragic, pointless event. Can we please leave the politics out of it until at LEAST after the school has figured out what happened?

lizbud
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
This was a tragic, pointless event. Can we please leave the politics out of it until at LEAST after the school has figured out what happened?

What politics LH ? The availabilty of Handguns in this country is hardly a
secret to anyone who ever watchs news on TV.

This is a terrible tragedy & I pray for all the students and their families.

Edwina's Secretary
04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Those kids weren't killed with politics (directly at least!)...they appear to have been shot with two handguns....

So, so, so sad.....and senseless...

rg_girlca
04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Such a senseless tragedy indeed. I've been watching it on CNN and the video they showed where you actually here to the gunshots, just sent chills down my spine.

Prayers being sent out to all the familys.

Miss Z
04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
What a tragedy, I heard about this this afternoon and have now just seen the news report. You are right, rg_girlca, that footage with the gunshots is blood-curdling stuff. I'm relieved that Ceph was unharmed but my thoughts are with her and all those who have been affected by this unspeakable and senseless act of violence. :(

davidpizzica
04-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I feel so sick over this. I just read the article online. I am praying for everyone at VA Tech and their families. I hope we can hear from Ceph soon and all is well.
Jen, I was just watching KDKA news and they said one of the wounded girls is from Pittsburgh. My prayers are that Ceph is unharmed and safe through this ordeal.

BCollie_Kelly
04-16-2007, 05:55 PM
My cousin also attends VA Tech, but was thankfully visiting his friend in West VA today and is alright.

Such a horrible horrible thing to happen. My heart goes out to all those who were lost, as well as their families. :(

DrKym
04-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Karen has heard from Ceph and she is ok but in shock, from Karens post I think Ceph will be posting after she settles down a bit.

Giselle
04-16-2007, 09:19 PM
It is absolutely horrific and senseless and deeply saddening. What I fail to comprehend (as another poster already said) is how the university thought sending out e-mails two hours after the initial murders would be of any help. Reports say the two incidents are not connected, but does that make the murders any less significant because it was 2 people and not 30-something? How sad :(

Karen
04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Thank you, Cate, for sharing with us. Thank you for letting us know how you are feeling. Thank you for defending your school and community against the onslaught of second-guessers and commentators. You, and your whole community will be in our prayers throughout the coming days. Sending you a hug, store it for when you need one if it isn't welcome right now.

Daisy and Delilah
04-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Thank you Cate. It means alot to me that you took your time to sit down and write about your experience. You and everyone else in this tragedy will remain in my heart and mind. What a terrible day in the life of that school and this nation. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} :(

cyber-sibes
04-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Cate, you and all the students affected are in my p rayers along with the families & victims of this tragedy. It's just unthinkable.

gini
04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Thank God you are alright Cate. How courageous of you to sit down and write your thoughts.

I was just talking to someone this evening about the media and how hard they tried to dig out the negative and blame the University.

You have my prayers.......prayers that you can go on.......find some peace for yourself.

And so many many others to pray for........what do you say? Their losses are huge - the families that have lost beautiful young men and women in the prime of their life.

May God have mercy on us all.

sandragonfly
04-17-2007, 02:19 AM
you and everybody else involving are in my thoughts. :(

remember to take care of (((cate))) too.

wombat2u2004
04-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi Cate,
So Sorry to hear that you have been so close to this terrible event.
We are all so glad that you are safe and sound.
You take care mate, .......k ???
Wom

Pawsitive Thinking
04-17-2007, 03:39 AM
My heart goes out to you all - what an appalling tragedy.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-17-2007, 04:28 AM
This is making we so sad.... . Thanks so much Cate for what you wrote here; it is coming right from your heart :( :( :(
Take care

Alysser
04-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Thank you, Ceph, for you outlook on things. I'm truley sorry for your losses and how your heart aches right now. :( I'll continue to pray for the students & their families.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-17-2007, 07:13 AM
I see something now....you need to speak to people every day like it was their last...you cant be rude...you cant call names...because you never know if those will be the last words to that person....you never know if those words will follow them to their grave...

{{Cate}}

I am so very sorry that you have had to experience such a tragedy!!! I'm sorry your and so many families lives will be forever changed by this!!!!

i've been thinking about this since yesterday.. I feel such a deep sorrow. I will never understand why a person would feel like that would be an answer to any problem.. The world is such a sad place and i thank God for wonderful people.. like the people here at Pet Talk who have love and caring in their heart...

buttercup132
04-17-2007, 07:21 AM
:confused: I'm sure I sound really dumb for asking this..but..what happened?

ramanth
04-17-2007, 08:44 AM
*HUGS* to you Cate.

Trinityagain
04-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Ceph,

I am so sorry for what you, and the entire community (and nation for that matter) are going thru right now. I will definitely be keeping you all in my thoughts....

I work at a university and this has once again made me wonder "what if...."

Trinity

Pawsitive Thinking
04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Will be thinking of you all. This song could apply worldwide....

Throw these guns away
Throw these guns away
They've caused this world too much pain
Let the children play
Let the children play
For the bairns of Dunblane

ramanth
04-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Many prayers for Matt's family and friends. RIP Matt. You were taken too soon. :(

Pawsitive Thinking
04-17-2007, 10:22 AM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070417/tts-uk-usa-crime-shooting-d1d4700.html

slick
04-17-2007, 10:32 AM
This tragedy is all over the news up here too. Cate....I'm struggling for words and really want to come up with something encouraging or at least comforting to say, but like the others, I'm trying to understand this whole situation. The media is saying that there is no motive. What could possibly prompt someone to carry out this senseless act???

Prayers going out to all concerned and especially to you Cate. RIP Matt! Another young life taken too soon. What is this world coming to?

Karen
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh, Cate, I know you were worried about him. Rest in peace, Matt, another light snuffed out too soon.

You are all still in our prayers.

sparks19
04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Ceph.... I am amazed that you were even able to sit down and write such a well thought out post. You are a much stronger person that I suspect I could be at such a time. It seems impossible now but you will heal..... those students, those families and those friends will be forever changed by this but they will find a way to go on. I cannot imagine the pain this has caused.

Hind sight is 20/20 and a lot of people want to place blame... but there is no blame to be placed except for the person that did this. Like I said to you earlier.... it is easy to talk about the right thing to do when you are not the one that has to do it. There is nothing that could have prevented this horrible tragedy.... this.... evil man had a need to fulfill and no amount of planning, warning, or laws could have prevented this monster from doing what he came to do. It is just unfortunate that he had to take the lives of so many innocent people just because he didn't get his way in life.

I am continuing to pray for you and for everyone in that community. This is definately a time to be with those you love, tell them you love them, hold hands, hug and just be together. You all need each other right now. I lit all my candles last night for all of you.... I will do so again tonight. It is just a small gesture but it is the best I can do right now.... I wish I could help some other way. But just know that my family and I are thinking of you all and praying for you. I'm so sorry

cassiesmom
04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Cate, I am thinking about you this morning. My prayers have joined everyone else's. I wish there were something more I could do or say. Take good care. ((hugs))

Husky_mom
04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Maybe I just didnīt want to see what the world has come to, so I had stayed away from this and any "news" as the like........ but knowing a Pter was right there made me sad....... someone we "know" someone we care someone we talk to....... please do know Ceph, you are in our thoughts..... may peace be back soon........ Iīm sorry for all those lives taken...... R.I.P.

DrKym
04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Candles and prayers are being sent, I truly hope you find some healing, and those that have also been touched by this. I am very glad that you are alright physically, my prayers and hopes for your mental and emotional health to recover.

RIP the innocents.

Pembroke_Corgi
04-17-2007, 12:44 PM
This is such a tragedy. I'm so sorry that you had to experience it, Ceph. :(

CountryWolf07
04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Matt is in my prayers.

Daisy and Delilah
04-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Cate, I hope you're doing as well as can be expected today. If you don't mind me asking, are you a student or teacher there? Sorry if I missed a post of this earlier. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I saw Matt's name on the list of deceased people on CNN. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the families of all the others. :(

ChrisH
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
My mind cannot comprehend how anyone could do such a terrible, terrible thing, or indeed how the family and friends of those killed will be able to cope with the pain and loss. My heartfelt condolences, my prayers, go out for them all.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I had to take a break from watching the coverage. It just breaks my heart!!! :(

Prayers on the way for everyone. I can only imagine the horror of it all! :(

By the way, it makes no difference if you use a gun or strap a bomb to yourself; killing others is just plain WRONG!!! :(

K9soul
04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I just don't have any words right now.. except I want to say Cate, Matt and his family, and all of the people involved in this horrific tragedy are in my prayers. I will light a candle. There's just no way to express how sickening and heartbreaking this is. *tears*

ETA: I found a virtual candle page for Vtech here. Candles for Virginia Tech (http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=VTech)

Lighting one and praying :(

Roxyluvsme13
04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
This is so sad. We had to do a news report from usatoday.com in a class of mine at school, and the gunman was a South Korean student at Vt. They said something about he was searching for his girlfriend when he shot all these people. *sigh* My teacher said she was praying for him, too, because he's obviously really lost. And I agree with her. I pray for the families of all these students, and you ceph, ((HUGS)), and to the guy that did this. :(

Karen
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Cate, you and your community are still in our prayers.

gini
04-17-2007, 07:18 PM
We are fortunate here at Pet Talk, Cate. We can use you, one of our own members to funnel all of the love and compassion and sorrow that we feel due to this horrific event.

I am so sorry that you have lost your special friend, and all of your friends.

It is like a bad dream - and you wake up - and it is far too real.

You have my ongoing prayers.

Edwina's Secretary
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I have been traveling all day and have just been able to check and see if the name of my friend's daughter was on the list. Thankfully, it was not. It was so difficult to look through the list.

I looked at a letter she wrote me in February. How happy her daughter was at Virginia Tech. What a great school and how lucky her daughter is to be attending.

I will not be able to call her until the weekend.

Such a senseless, senseless tragedy....

slick
04-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Such a senseless, senseless tragedy.... This is what I've been thinking all day long. My heart goes out to the families and friends left behind. :( Candle lit.

CathyBogart
04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Wow...just...wow...

Cate, I'm so glad that you are unhurt, and I was heartened to hear about how the community is pulling together. Here is an article about some of the heroic things people did during this senseless rampage....a positive article to temper all the negative.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070418/tts-uk-usa-crime-shooting-heroism-d1d4700_1.html

trayi52
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Cate, so glad you are safe. You and all are in my prayers.

Willie

Karen
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Oh, Cate, thank you so much for sharing the photos with us, and your words as well. I can feel your strength and pride in every word you wrote. And you will prevail, and be even stronger for it.

We are all with you in spirit.

slick
04-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Big time LES..... :( :( :(

Catty1
04-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Cate - I heard that "We will prevail. We will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech." And all the applause that followed, so strong. It was on CBC radio at every broadcast today.

I was so amazed at the certainty, the lack of ANY doubt in that woman's voice.

She made it sound like VT had ALREADY prevailed.

I cannot begin to understand where your head is....but I am sending {{{{hugs}}}} and prayers.

sandragonfly
04-18-2007, 12:44 AM
touchy. very special and worthy pictures...heart les.

not to hjack - I read this email, from our school this afternoon and found out it was a person who I classmated with. :eek: :confused: :(

Crime Alert
04/17/2007

On April 17, 2007 at approximately 11:25 AM, a staff member at the RIT Inn & Conference Center (right off NTID campus) reportedly heard a suspicious sound coming from inside a student’s room. The alert staff member contacted RIT Public Safety.

RIT Public Safety and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office responded to the room, where a student admitted possessing two unloaded illegal firearms that he said he had just assembled. No live ammunition was found in the guns, however the Sheriff’s Office found ammunition inside the student’s parked vehicle. The student was suspended from the university and the Sheriff’s Office investigation continues.

ceph, this even hadn't happened on our campus (yet) and I already can feel the shock. and you are mending very well. ((hugs))

thank you cate again for your words and pictures.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Moved to tears again - especially by the way people pull together to comfort each other

Lilith Cherry
04-18-2007, 04:09 AM
Even here in China many of my students are asking about how this could happen and they are very sad for the people at V Tech. This is a Technical University too and they feel very deeply for you ,Ceph and all your school mates and teachers. They asked me to let you know they are thinking of you all and hope your heartache will mend. Best loving thoughts from the teachers and students at Guangdong Institute of Science and Technology in Zhuhai, China

Daisy and Delilah
04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the great pictures Cate. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

ramanth
04-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos, Cate. *HUGS*

Logan
04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Cate, this situation is heartbreaking for all, but I know that one who is personally touched by this horrible shooting must feel it so much more deeply. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us, and pictures, too. Thank you for your willingness to share your pictures and feelings.

Much love to you and your "family".

Logan

CountryWolf07
04-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Keep my friend in your prayers... her cousin is one of the 32 killed.. thanks.. she was only 19 years old.. 20 in June.. and she just transferred.. and she was excited... all she was doing was walking to her next class.. she was just passing through.. and she just was shot. Thanks..

Pawsitive Thinking
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Many prayers heading your friend's way :(

Karen
04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Prayers continuing ...

Dorothy39
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I've remained seated in front of the television more than usual, since learning of this National Tragedy~ I knew I could find a place to voice my feelings about it.

My Prayers continue for each friend and family member ~

lvpets2002
04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
:( I just saw Matthew LaPorte's & others profiles on MSN of In Memory.. God Bless to all.. Many Prayers being sent..

momoffuzzyfaces
04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Ceph thank you for sharing the pictures of Matt and his friends with us. As hard as all this is, this experience will bind you and all your classmates together in a special way forever. You are the ones who are intrusted to tell the story of the ones who are gone and let the world know how truely special and loved they are.

Prayers continuing here for all of you.

Alysser
04-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Thank you so much, Ceph. I am again so sorry for everyone involved, this is so sad. :( RIP Matt LePorte.

Kfamr
04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
It's so sickening. I can't even find the words over the past few days. And now I hear that there is a threat in New Jersey and Minnesota?? What is this world coming to????? :( :(

Pam
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Ceph, thank you for sharing. Through you we can begin to feel the depth of the loss. I believe Matthew LePorte was from New Jersey. I heard this morning that another NJ student (from Mullica Hill, not far from me) is in critical condition after being shot in the face. We need to keep those survivors in prayer as well. They have, in many cases, a long road ahead of them both physically and emotionally.

My husband and I were just saying this morning that some of the media coverage is just awful. I won't mention any names of the people on these programs, but some of the questions that are being asked of the families like "how do you feel?" "what do you remember most about your loved one?" just seem so shallow. I wish they would let these people have some privacy. :(

davidpizzica
04-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I learned today that another wounded student is from the Pittsburgh area. He is the one that was shot in the right leg and saved himself by making a makeshift tourniquet out of an electrical cord. There were pictures of him being carried out by paramedics. He was a former eagle scout.

finn's mom
04-18-2007, 06:52 PM
It is incredible to have such a strong voice as Cate's to speak loud, clear and proud on behalf of Virginia Tech. I am so glad that the school is pulling together the way they are, it is a nice contrast to the madness of one ill boy.

Thank you for writing and sharing, Cate.

cassiesmom
04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
I just heard on the news that Friday will be Maroon and Orange Day in honor of Virginia Tech and the people that were killed in the campus shootings. So, if you have something maroon and/or orange, wear it that day.

Thanks.

CountryWolf07
04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I just heard on the news that Friday will be Maroon and Orange Day in honor of Virginia Tech and the people that were killed in the campus shootings. So, if you have something maroon and/or orange, wear it that day.

Thanks.

I definitely will. I will wear my orange hat, too as well.

KittyGurl
04-18-2007, 08:44 PM
This is just horrible. Cate: I'm sooo glad you aren't hurt...
and CountryWolf07: I am so sorry about your friends cousin. :(

What goes through people's minds when they do this. Do they feel horribla or do they think it feels good? Poeple are just...errrr :mad: It makes me so mad! 32 innocent people died! Why!? I wish the killer was alive and the police could torture him FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then we can see how he likes it :mad:
The students and teachers are in my prayers...

Karen
04-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Why!? I wish the killer was alive and the police could torture him FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then we can see how he likes it :mad:
The students and teachers are in my prayers...

KittyGurl, the man/boy who did that was clearly mentally ill. It is quite likely that his life was already torture to him. That does in no way excuse what he did, but no good would come from trying to exact "revenge" on him.

The best way to deal with this is to support the survivors, the families and loved ones of those killed, and the entire Virginia Tech Community. One cannot fight darkness with darkness, but it can be conquered with light.

Catty1
04-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Kittygurl - if we could do that, we would be the same as him.

Revenge is the most natural thing in the world - but as a minister at the memorial said, we have to turn from the 'seductiveness' of revenge.

Loving and supporting, however we can, shows we know better, and do not go down to that dark level.

I wonder how his parents are, among all the others? They are innocents who have also lost.

Prayers to all.

Pam
04-19-2007, 06:01 AM
I wonder how his parents are, among all the others? They are innocents who have also lost.

I have thought of his parents several times through all of this. How will they ever go on? They have suffered tremendous shame as well as loss. I wasn't aware until I saw on TV yesterday that they were not able to be advised of the school's concerns regarding his writings, etc. because of *confidentiality.* I feel that is something that must be changed. Maybe they could have helped. :(

Pawsitive Thinking
04-19-2007, 06:08 AM

Prayers to all.

I hope they are not forgotten in people's prayers

wombat2u2004
04-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Good on ya Ceph, for hanging in there, and sending us all those wonderful pics.
Wom

K9soul
04-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Thank you for the photos and your writings that truly show the beauty of the indomitable human spirit.

Countrywolf, your friend and the victim's family will also be in my prayers.

All remain in my thoughts and prayers.

There are over 2500 candles from 46 countries lit right now for the students and families of Vtech here: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=VTech

cassiesmom
04-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I wonder how his parents are, among all the others? They are innocents who have also lost. Prayers to all.

I do too, Catty1. I saw on Anderson Cooper's show last night that some of the writing he had done for his course work rattled his professor so much that she showed it to the University police. They could not do anything about it because no direct threats were made. They also couldn't show it to the health service because of confidentiality. Anderson Cooper was saying that these events may focus national attention on issues of gun control again. But I hope something is done to protect potential victims when it's identified that there is risk of a crime, or a person is having serious mental health issues that jeopardize people's safety (that person's or others). At some point the safety of others comes up against an individual's right to privacy and that's not an easy place to be.

DrKym
04-19-2007, 04:32 PM
In Florida they have something called the Baker Act, if a person is deemed by a family member, teacher ,clergy, friend etc. To pose a threat to themselves or others they can be involuntarily committed for 72 hours while Mental health proffessionals from several fields attempt to assess the risk and if it is actual or simply being faked for whatever reason.

I know there are a few other states that have similar Acts, it is time we have that availability in all states.

And before anyone goes off on a phone call can lock up your annoying little brother etc. You do have to provide clear and cincise statements, that would make a reasonable person fear for their health and/or safety or that of the person in question.

Alysser
04-19-2007, 05:40 PM
I just ordered a VA tech sweatshirt, to show support. I think everyone around America should to show support for those who were lost in this tragic fit of rage.

cassiesmom
04-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I heard on the news today that funeral services have begun to be held for the Virginia Tech victims. That must be so difficult for their families.