PDA

View Full Version : Natural Balance Recalled

elizabethann
04-15-2007, 09:01 PM
The Dogster Forum is saying some of Natural Balance has been recalled.

When will this madness end!

buttercup132
04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
I feed my cats wet Natural Balance:eek: !

elizabethann
04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Here is a link that is on Dogster:
http://www.itchmo.com/

Alysser
04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I can't tell you how much times I've had to switch food because of this recall! UGH! I'm not sure if that's what she is on, now but it's "natural" something. I've switched food two times already, this might be the third. :rolleyes:

elizabethann
04-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Natural Balance isn't recalled because of Menu Food. It's that some of their foods have caused some gastric issues with pets.

I went to the pet food store yesterday and asked the owner if business has picked up since the pet food recall and he said business has picked up dramatically.

Vela
04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
They aren't pulling it because of melamine in the product due to wheat gluten, thankfully. Some dogs perhaps got sick when eating it so they are trying to be safe. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it. MIne eat strictly raw at the moment, and I use EVO RM kibble when I use kibble.

Yeah my natural food store said the same thing hehe. I really hope this does raise awareness that we need to be careful what we feed our pets, and at least a good majority, hopefully, with switch to better foods, if they fed any of that other stuff before. Unfotuatnely what a sad way to get a better outcome=(

Craftlady
04-15-2007, 09:19 PM
This mess with Menu had no boundries it effected cheaper quality foods to supreme quality foods for our animals. Example: store brand to Nutro, Science Diet.

Kfamr
04-15-2007, 09:25 PM
There is nothing on their website about a recall, so I'd be a bit wary of that info. http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

It's a horrible way for awareness to be brought but hopefully it will sway the general public away from foods like Science Diet, Ol Roy, etc.

wolf_Q
04-15-2007, 10:25 PM
&*%^%$$$*(%^

Natural Balance Venison and brown rice is the food I feed Nebo. Venison based foods are the only ones that haven't made him sick all the time. Kay's right, it doesn't even say anything on the website about it....I guess I'm going to have to call them tomorrow.

Vela
04-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Hopefully it's nothing serious Amy, and he will be okay. Let us know what you hear.

cmayer31
04-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I feed this food to my dogs and have not had an issue. I will call them tomorrow to find out what is going on. Natural Balance Venison and Rice does not even contain wheat, so it has nothing to do with Menu foods.

mugsy
04-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I can tell you that business has skyrocketed!! Mike can't keep up with it all! We have run out of things because so many people are coming in now!

We do sell the Natural Balance and no one has reported any problems, but, I did send the link to Mike and I'm sure he will research it today.

As far as Science Diet and Nutro being good foods....check their ingredients. Science Diet's top 2 ingredients are ground yellow corn and chicken by-product meal. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking it's good food. Nutro has added soybean oil to their food and Mike threw it out of the store! He has switched 42 dogs off of that because of ear infections and weepy eyes, etc. Neither of those foods are good.

Craftlady
04-16-2007, 08:22 AM
As far as Science Diet and Nutro being good foods.... Neither of those foods are good.

My furry kids (cats) have been on Nutro Weight Management for cats going on 5 plus years and they are thriving a-okay. They hated Science Diet LOL

Zippy
04-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Not another food.
I returned my natural balance food and switched to Blue Buffalo.As did my grandma for her cocker Bandit.I am not taking any chances.

mugsy
04-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I just talked to Natural Balance. They told me that they had some customer complaints that their dogs were throwing up. NATURAL BALANCE is asking that stores pull the batch labeled Sept 28, 2008 off the shelf until they figure out if something is wrong or people are just panicking (my words not hers) because of everything that has happened. Panic mode is not the correct way to approach this.

Just an FYI, Natural Balance rates higher and scores higher than Blue Buffalo on the Whole Dog Journal and the pet food grade card.

I commend Natural Balance for having the fortitude to pull the food from that week to see if there is something wrong.

I reiterate that it was the company that decided to pull the food...no one else and it is NOT because it has contaminated wheat since they don't use it.

wolf_Q
04-16-2007, 11:26 AM
It's up there now. :(
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
Nebo hasn't acted sick at all but I'm not taking any chances at "kidney problems" gahh so I'm going to go buy some new food. I wonder if they will reimburse for the food? I don't think I have a receipt but I still have the bag. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, I'm almost up to my free bag of food too. :rolleyes:

Anyone heard any problems with this food? http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1326&-session=naturesvariety:D0BA86670a2871B3A7rPS3767F6 A Nature's Variety Prairie Venison Meal & Millet Medley? I've mixed that in with the Natural Balance before and Nebo liked it, its the only other venison based food I've been able to find.

Of course, if the problem is the venison...they both say its "New Zealand" venison, what if they get it from the same supplier?

elizabethann
04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
I haven't heard anything about Nature's Variety (at least anything bad). In fact, the pet food place I go to is selling it.

Kfamr
04-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Nature's Variety have some good formulas, I was going to feed their Raw Instinct food. The only thing is though, the Venison formula also has Lamb, so make sure he doesn't have any allergies towards lamb.

mugsy
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Nature's Variety is another great food. And Mike has talked to the rep and Natural Balance directly and all they are saying is we need to pull the bags until they determine if it is operator error (changing food too quickly) or if they got a bad batch of venison. None of our customers who regularly buy it are having issues. I personally think it's operator error, but, better to err on the side of caution.

As far as Nature's Variety goes...we have a customer who has a 60 pound lab and buys the little bags of the food and rotates the flavors so she doesn't get bored! She has the Salmon and Brown Rice and Venison and Millet this time! :) There are 5 different dry formulas (not including Raw Instinct).

krazyaboutkatz
04-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I just got an e-mail from Starr's foster mom and both the Venison & Green Pea cat dry food and the Venison & Brown Rice dry dog food. Here's the link to the news report:News Report (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=2947823&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1).

I've been feeding some of my cats the Venison & Green Pea dry food but I haven't noticed any vomiting. Although Pearl hasn't been eating very well lately but she just started eating well again last night after I stopped feeding her this food. When will this horror ever end.:(

mugsy
04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
The FDA did NOT recall the food. Natural Balance ,as a PRECAUTIONARY measure ,asked that the retail stores pull the Venison formula off the shelf until the problem can be resolved.

It's obviously not related to the wheat gluten scandal since they don't USE wheat or wheat gluten in their foods.

Oh well, I'm done now...

mugsy
04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
OK, I lied, I'm not quite done....

I just got to the store and this is the latest news from Natural Balance...what individual stores do is up to them...

Natural Balance will replace their venison formulas with any of their other formulas, but, will NOT support a refund or exchange for another food.

Mike has had calls all day about it. The people we have on it have said that their dogs and cats are fine and Mike told them to watch them.

Here's a thought...could it be that these animals that are showing distress are showing symptoms of the recalled foods from Menu Foods? They said that it could take from 6 to 8 weeks for symptoms to show up.

And as far as the FDA getting involved...Natural Balanced ASKED the FDA to set up an independent investigation....not the other way around. Also, Natural Balance took it upon themselves to ask that the foods be pulled out of concern for the animals, unlike Menu Foods who covered their poisoned foods up for MONTHS and the CFO sells 1/2 of his stock 3 WEEKS before the recall.... Let's keep it in perspective here people. Don't villianize Natural Balance. I still believe wholeheartedly that these are either symptoms of the recalled Menu Foods crap or the sudden switch upset their systems. At least Natural Balance was PRO active not RE active.

I wonder how many people have bothered to THANK Natural Balance for caring enough about pets to issue the pull themselves without waiting for the FDA (who wasn't planning on doing anything). Probably NO ONE!

Ok, NOW I'm done with this discussion...I've said my peace and if anyone listens, great. If not...oh well, I've done my part.

Jadapit
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Mugsy,

I've been feeding my fur kids Timberwolf and raw at night. We live in a really small town, there is no good dog food sold here so I was ordering the Timberwolf online. It was costing us $72.00 a bag by the time we paid the shipping. I'm feeding three big dogs, the cost was killing us.

My husband had to go work in Aspen last week, they do have good pet food in that area. They didn't have the Timberwolf but the pet store owner told my husband Natural Balance was a very good food so he picked up two bags of the Natural Balance Ultra it came to $92.00. I could not believe my eyes when I saw Natural Balance had been recalled.

This is from USA today. It says that Melamine was found in the rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods. I'm at my wits end here. Do you think they used the same rice in the Ultra food?

I dont know what to do about feeding my dogs the Natural Balance at this point and time. I feel like crying, I really do. What do you think?

Here is the link to USA today.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalled_N.htm

Freedom
04-17-2007, 04:46 PM
So they have to recall because there is melamine in the RICE!

What the heck???

Jadapit
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
So they have to recall because there is melamine in the RICE!

What the heck???

I guess so! I was reading on a blog, a lady called NB today, they told her the rice they had used was only in the venison not any of the other brands. I just dont know what to believe. :(

mugsy
04-17-2007, 04:59 PM
I stand corrected and offer my apologies!

I just spoke to Natural Balance...

They tried a new rice protein and it was tainted with melamine.

This affects only the Venison and Brown Rice for dogs (dry, canned, and treats) and the Venison and Green Pea for the cats (dry only) for the batch labeled Sept 28, 2008.

They said that if the consumer wants to bring any of the Natural Balance food back the store should give them an exchange or their money back without question...even if they bring it back in a garbage bag!

Oh, and Timberwolf is excellent, however, there are a lot of great foods out there. Feel free to call the store at 260-483-0944 M-Th 10-7 10-6 Fri and Sat and 12-5 Sun EDT and talk to Mike about foods and he can check availability closer to you.

Jadapit
04-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Thank you Mugsy! Does that mean you can take back any brand of the NB or just the venison?

lizbud
04-17-2007, 05:06 PM
This today article was the latest about this natural Balence recall. It has
a link to the company's web site to check info .

PET FOOD RECALL
Video: Who's Responsible?
Video: Unscrambling The Pet Food Recall
Video: New Chemical In Pet Food Scare
Video: FDA: Plastics Chemical Found
Video: PETA: Expand Recall

Recall: Dog Products | Cat Products | Del Monte
PETS

New Issue Forces Pet Food Recall
Natural Balance: Issue Not Related To Melamine

POSTED: 8:27 am EDT April 17, 2007

The Food and Drug Administration said Natural Balance Pet Foods is recalling two kinds of pet food after getting reports of animals vomiting and experiencing kidney problems.

The recall includes all date codes of Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food. The company doesn't know the cause of the problem, but said it is focused on one particular lot.

Natural Balance Pet Foods said it is working with the FDA to investigate the matter and is urging consumers to not feed either product to their animals.

Last month, Menu Foods recalled 60 million cans of dog and cat food after the deaths of 16 pets, mostly cats, that ate its products. The FDA said tests indicated the food was contaminated with an industrial chemical, melamine. It is believed the contamination came from wheat gluten.

Officials said the Natural Balance foods did not appear to be related to the issue with menu foods.

The company provided a notice about the recall at

http://www.adn.com/24hour/business/story/3600562p-12877827c.html

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Just when you think the recall is over, another food goes on the list. I have been feeding my cats Orijen, it is formulated with a biologically correct (75/25/0) ingredient ratio of 75% meat, 25% fruit and vegetables and 0 grain. I was feeding Felidae, but now I am terrified to feed anything other than Orijen. DH was shocked when he went to the pet store and saw that Orijen went up in price nearly $3.00 - he was almost ready to give up and buy a cheaper food.

We pay almost $20.00 for a 2.5 KG bag of Orijen, and it lasts us 2-3 weeks. I convinced him that it is safer to feed Orijen because it contains no grains. He agreed to buy the largest bag (saves money) from now on. I am thankful my husband cares as much about our cats as I do.

In June, Orijen will have 6 Fresh Fish with Sea Vegetables (for dogs), a single protein kibble. I wish they were making it for cats too. I hope and pray that no other animals get sick/die from food. It is a tragedy, I couldn't imagine losing any of my cats.

It is a Canadian food, but they do carry it in some parts of the US...

Florida
Washington
Georgia
Oregon

Here is the site: Orijen Pet Foods (http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/)

mugsy
04-17-2007, 05:42 PM
They said at Natural Balance that if the consumer brings it in a garbage bag we are to take it back and offer our apologies regardless of what kind of NB it is. That's straight from the customer service department and she checked with her supervisor.

Anyone with questions is free to call Mike at the store!

Kfamr
04-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I was feeding my dogs Timberwolf but I just do not trust them anymore. They are a very... off.. company. They refused to tell us yes or no when asked if they were associated with MenuFoods. It took them literally MONTHS to tell us how much Iodine was in their foods. Their customer service is just off and I was sick of finding different colored, sized, and looking kibbles in almost every single bag of food. I had to change formulas because it took my retailer a month or so to get in the Ocean Blue just because Timberwolf decided to change the packaging.

I finally switched my dogs to Innova EVO Red Meat with their usual occasional raw meals. No issues so far and I am pleased with the ingredients.

Sophist
04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
:eek: Are you TRYING to give me a heart attack?

Fortunuately, I do not use the canned at all, and I have never fed them any of the venison ones.

My three would be crushed if I had to take away their Natural Balance rolls.

ramanth
04-18-2007, 09:04 AM
My three would be crushed if I had to take away their Natural Balance rolls.

I hear ya. I've been using the venison NB rolls as training treats for Chipper.

Vela
04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
OMG I fed Soda the canned venison when she first came home before she was transitioned to raw!!! Thank GOD above she only ate half a can, she didn't like it, I fed the rest to the other two. They ALL had diarrhea and one of them threw up, but I wasn't sure which. Ugh CRAP. I am going to have soda's kidney's tested to make sure there was no damage that might show up later. I'm just disgusted. Home made raw (i just bought a heavy duty meat grinder) and premade raw and EVO RM is ALL my dogs get from now on. The only treats they get are homemade and chicken jerky. I can't beleive this.

Jadapit
04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Honestly, at this point and time I dont think I would feed any of the Natural Balance. Take a look at what the president of the company had to say on the matter:

Natural Balance President Herrick was so shaken by the melamine finding that he imposed a new policy Tuesday to hold all company foods in a warehouse until an offsite lab tests each batch for melamine. He won't ship anything until it has tested clean, he said.

My husband is going back to Aspen today. I'm sending the two bags of NB back with him, I dont trust any of it right now. I hope the pet shop owner will let my husband get a different brand or give him the money back.

This whole thing is a nightmare, how many more foods with the brown rice could be affected? Here is something else that scares me to death.

Local veterinarians who've tracked kidney ailments nationwide have tentatively identified five more foods, not at this point under any recall, that they plan to have tested as soon as possible.

What five foods could it be? How many of us could be feeding one of those to our beloved fur kids? Grrrrrr..... :mad:

Here is the article.....

Fears grow on pet food
New findings expand the threat beyond wheat gluten.
By Carrie Peyton Dahlberg - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:08 am PDT Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A1

The monthlong pet food recall expanded Tuesday with a troubling twist, for the first time involving foods that do not contain wheat gluten but still tested positive for a potentially lethal chemical.

The finding makes it much tougher to tell people what to safely feed their pets and fuels suspicions that the chemical melamine is being deliberately added to some pet food ingredients to bolster apparent protein.

Natural Balance, a Pacoima-based company, is "99.9 percent sure" that a rice protein made in Asia is responsible for the melamine detected Tuesday in some of its venison-based pet foods, company President Joey Herrick said.

"It was pretty shocking," he said in a phone interview after the company recalled several of its venison foods. "I was livid."

Herrick declined to name the supplier of the rice protein or the country it came from, saying only that a large American company acquired the ingredient for Diamond Pet Foods, which makes some Natural Balance products.

Because both wheat gluten and rice protein enhance the protein content of pet food, "it certainly is suspicious" that melamine now is associated with both, said Bob Poppenga, a UC Davis veterinary toxicology professor.

Melamine isn't an edible protein, but it has plenty of nitrogen, which can be used as a marker for protein in chemical analyses.

So, if someone wanted to use less of the relatively pricey sources of vegetable protein, such as wheat gluten, and throw in cheaper starches instead, adding melamine to that mix would still make it look like a protein-rich product, numerous veterinary nutritionists and toxicologists have said. With such speculation swirling, the rice protein-melamine link further alarmed pet owners as it began appearing on Web sites Tuesday, said Gina Spadafori, a Sacramento-based author who runs a pet Web site.

"I see people who are being almost panicky," she said. "Last week, it was easy for veterinary associations to say if you want to feel better, just avoid wheat gluten," Spadafori said. "Now for this expansion to be an entirely different protein source ... I don't think right now anybody can say, 'Go feed this, it's safe.' "

Natural Balance President Herrick was so shaken by the melamine finding that he imposed a new policy Tuesday to hold all company foods in a warehouse until an offsite lab tests each batch for melamine. He won't ship anything until it has tested clean, he said.

Local veterinarians who've tracked kidney ailments nationwide have tentatively identified five more foods, not at this point under any recall, that they plan to have tested as soon as possible.

The Veterinary Information Network, used by about 16,000 of the estimated 35,000 U.S. veterinarians, noticed the five foods kept recurring in vet-described disease reports, said Paul Pion, the Davis vet who co-founded the service. Pion said it would be premature to name the foods.

He hopes to get suspect food samples to the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory at UC Davis to start testing as early as today. As the recall expands, "my sense is it's time for every manufacturer to go testing for melamine," Pion said.

The notion that melamine could be a deliberate additive -- not an industrial mistake -- arose as early as April 5, when Stephen Sundlof, head of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, said that the pet food recall could turn into a criminal investigation if investigators find that melamine was added deliberately.

Later, the New York Times reported that the Chinese company that supplied tainted wheat gluten to Menu Foods sought to buy large amounts of melamine through Internet trading sites.

More than 4,000 pet deaths have been reported on Spadafori's petconnetion.com site. Others have estimated recall-related deaths at hundreds to thousands of pets nationwide.

All the 100 or so products recalled previously had involved wheat gluten, the vast majority of them dog food, cat food and treats manufactured for many labels by the Canada-based company Menu Foods.

Amid complaints that the multiple recalls were hard to follow, the FDA tried to assemble all the recalled foods on a single list, now over 5,000 items long, on its Web site at www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

As of Tuesday evening, the Natural Balance recalls hadn't appeared there. Natural Balance recalled two products Monday and added more Tuesday after learning of the melamine test results. It has pulled back Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

For pet owners, vets said, the important thing to be aware of is any behavior change that seems linked to either a new food, or even a new bag of the same food. Symptoms could include loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy and excess drinking or urinating.

Vela
04-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I fed her a LOT of the chicken and beef and brown rice....for two weeks while I changed her food. I think she's okay...but I am going to have her checked to be sure. I DO applaud this company for caring more about pets than about their profits, I realize they had no idea and they have taken quick action, but I won't/can't feed their foods.

EVO uses no grains at all, only potatoes....so that's it for me, along with raw. I just can't take that chance. I hope ANYONES pets who ate this are okay.

Zippy
04-18-2007, 11:19 AM
My gosh! I don't know what to feed my babies anymore.I am feeding Blue bluffio right now.I am thinking of switching to chicken soup for the cat lover's soup adult cat food.Does anyone esle feed that?

mugsy
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I made the comment to Mike last night that people are going to stop buying anything that has rice in it and we will be screwed!! We have a lot of foods that do not have rice, but, a huge number do.

KayAnn, email the store: [email protected] and tell Mike what you have experienced with Timberwolf please. He wants to keep up on all complaints that he hears about each food. Thanks!

J.P. Tell your husband to tell the store that NB will reimburse the store for every bag brought back. That should take care of it and if they have questions tell them to call them.

Zippy, just an FYI, if it makes a difference to you, Chicken Soup is rated as one of the best, but, it is also made by Diamond.

We had one bag of cat food brought back last night and one dog food today. And I thought we were safe!

Ginger's Mom
04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Zippy, I also feed Blue Buffalo and have e-mailed them. I will pm you if/when I receive a response. All I can say is they do use the Rice Protein paste according to their list of ingredients on the dry dog food. I have found an Innova/Evo dealer near me, and think I just may have to switch over to that.

Zippy
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Mugsy and Ginger's mom thank you for the infomation about chicken soup and blue buffilo.I just thank god I hadn't started the green pea and venison natural blance and was finishing up the normal adult flavor just when i read about the recall.I hope and pray everones babies are ok!

cyber-sibes
04-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I recently switched my two to Canidae Platinum when their last bag of Science Diet ran out. Pricey, but my dogs are loving it and it seems like good stuff. Their site says: "All of our products are made the “CANIDAE Way” with superior quality in every bag and can, with NO corn, wheat, soy, grain fractions, fillers or by products – and naturally preserved!"

They have this this announcement regarding recalled foods on their website, maybe some of you might want to check out their foods:

ANNOUNCEMENT

Industry Can Recall

In light of the unfortunate current pet food recall by other respectable pet food manufacturers, our phone lines and emails are tied up with concerned customers. We want you, our valued customer, to feel secure with the continued use of our products. CANIDAE® Pet Foods in no way is affected by the recall, nor are any of our products produced in any of the recalled production facilities.

It appears from the latest news within our industry that all recalls are from Glutens imported from China, a protein source that is extracted from Wheat or Rice. The wheat or rice is not the issue, but the glutens extracted, stored, and then imported from China. Again, CANIDAE does not use Glutens in any form, and we do not import any ingredients from China or overseas.

CANIDAE Pet Foods also does not produce cuts and gravies, pouches, and does not contain corn, wheat or soybeans in any of our products or formulations, and all ingredients are of US origin, meaning proudly raised and grown in the USA.

Our heartfelt concerns go out to all those affected by the recall.

CANIDAE Pet Foods

www.canidae.com

ramanth
04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
My gosh! I don't know what to feed my babies anymore.I am feeding Blue bluffio right now.I am thinking of switching to chicken soup for the cat lover's soup adult cat food.Does anyone esle feed that?
We just switched the cats to that and I've had no problems at all. :)

JenBKR
04-18-2007, 02:23 PM
It's all getting to be too much. I'm afraid of what to feed mine. I have been feeding Chicken soup for the dog/cat lovers's soul, and they all love it. I guess I will just stick with that until I hear something different. I haven't had any problems at all with it, but it's still scary.

Does anyone know if Science diet dry dog food has been on the recall list at all? My friend feeds that to her dog and she said he's been throwing up a lot lately. I just wondered if it had anything to do with the food.....

Craftlady
04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
It's all getting to be too much. I'm afraid of what to feed mine. I have been feeding Chicken soup for the dog/cat lovers's soul, and they all love it. I guess I will just stick with that until I hear something different. I haven't had any problems at all with it, but it's still scary.

Does anyone know if Science diet dry dog food has been on the recall list at all? My friend feeds that to her dog and she said he's been throwing up a lot lately. I just wondered if it had anything to do with the food.....

No dog food but cat food has been recalled by Science Diet
http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/complete_summary_04112007_en_US.htm

However, I would have your friend take dog to the vet to get checked out.

elizabethann
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
No dog food but cat food has been recalled by Science Diet
http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/complete_summary_04112007_en_US.htm

However, I would have your friend take dog to the vet to get checked out.

Now, no Science Diet cat kibble has been recalled, correct? I gave Cosmo a sample of the senior food and he loves it! I just want to make sure. Does anyone know about Science Diet cat kibble (for seniors)? Please tell me that wasn't recalled.

Vela
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
It wasn't the kibble for seniors for cats that was recalled, they recalled a prescription diet kibble for cats; however, if it was me, I wouldn't feed any of it just to be safe.

Roxyluvsme13
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Geez. Lily was on the Natural Balance roll for a while, but they don't make/or don't carry Venison in that. Thank god. -sigh- Look's like now's the perfect time to get a job so I don't have to feed the pets anything with grains in it >_<

Jadapit
04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
The site Itchmo seems to be on top of all the foods and recalls. Its really very intresting. Here is the link if any of you want to take a look...

http://www.itchmo.com/

wolf_Q
04-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm really frustrated and angry about all of this. First it was "gastic problems" now they're saying "kidney failure." :mad: Now I'm worried and I think I'm going to have to get Nebo tested (though he's not showing any symptoms), which is over $100 and I really really really did *not* need another expense right now. I wish they would at least put up the suspected lot number. Their phone lines have been busy every time I try to call.

krazyaboutkatz
04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I found out some interesting news today when I was returning the Venison & Green Pea dry cat food at Petco. The lady told me that they had pulled everything on Saturday. Why wasn't the public notified about this recall until Tuesday.:mad: I wonder how many other people knew about this on Saturday.

They also didn't want to give me my cash back but insisted on giving me store credit. I told them that I wanted cash back and that I was told that I could go back to the place where I had purchased this food and could receive cash back without having a receipt. The lady was able to look up my receipt and they finally gave me cash back. They originally wanted me to come back tomorrow so I could talk to their manager but I'd be working during these hours.

wolf_Q
04-18-2007, 11:33 PM
I just got off the phone with Natural Balance. The guy was very nice. He said they know exactly what batch contained the melamine. He said the expiration date would be September 28, 2008. Mine is May 15, 2008. He said mine was older and so I didn't have anything to worry about. I hope this is really the case. I'm still going to return the food tomorrow.

Krazyaboutkatz, actually Natural Balance had a recall statement on their website up monday morning. They did not know what the problem was until tuesday, but it still said to not feed that food.

Kel8856
04-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Hello. Someone asked earlier about this cat food - I have been feeding my 3 cats this since the recall and so far so good. But I am as scared as everyone else, you never know what will happen. They were on the Science Diet m/d formula (prescription!) which was recalled, I almost died.
Is anyone else feeding their cats the dry kibble by Nature's Variety? Mine is called Raw Instinct.