PDA

View Full Version : Can a pharmasist do this?

Laura's Babies
04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I went to pick up a Rx today that was called in BY the doctors office The doctors office or somebody told me I was given 12 refills. It was for a wart I have been fighting for over 3 years and had burned off twice that just won't go away. When I went to pick it up, the pharmarsist told me I would see a differance in the refills I had left because she changed the 12 to a 3, giving me 2 more refills left. She said the doctor had made a mistake thinking there were 12 treatments in the box and wrote 12 in the refill box instead. I asked her if that is what they told her when she called them and she said "No, I know that is what they meant so I changed it myself...". I told her I have been fighting this thing for 3 years with the doctors help so maybe the doctor meant me to have 12 refills.

Since I called for the refill over a month ago (when my other refill ran out) and they faxed it to the drug store and I never saw it.... I am sure the doctors office had to have called me and told me I had 12 refills for me to have known I had 12 refills..

The insert says it is at least a 16 week treatment which = 120 days... 12 per box X 120 days = at least 10 refills. You are suppose to use the pack you open ONCE and then throw the left overs away. Can they change anything on your Rx without talking to the doctor first? I DO plan to call the doctor tomorrow and if they meant 12 or 3 refills and get this streightened out.

DrKym
04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
No they cannot. To admit that they changed it without Dr. Authorization can also get their license revoked.

Karen
04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
My pharmacists would never do such a thing, they have called my doctor's office before for clarifications.

Laura's Babies
04-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I asked her about 4 different times if she talked to the doctor and she always said "I know the doctor didn't really mean to write dow 12 refills!" If she did take it on herself to do, she knows she will get that phone call tomorrow.. She knows I was in shock. :rolleyes:

mike001
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Unheard of and licence should be revoked. I would contact my doctor and make him aware of this issue. You can also report this to the Parmacists' Association. Go back to the drugstore and make them aware that you will be contacting your doctor to clear up this issue. Make sure you get the pharmacist's name.

Freedom
04-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Call your doc, and if you can, give the pharmacist's name.

We used to have huge issues with CVS - they had their pharmacists changing stuff to generic even if that was not noted on the script. They are such a big company, they got dep discounts due to volume. Well, they did that with one of Dad's prescriptions. I just said, "uh huh." and left. Phned the doc. He knew just who to call. Got it all fixed, and added to the complaint file for the pharmacy.

cassiesmom
04-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I went to pick up a Rx today that was called in BY the doctors office The doctors office or somebody told me I was given 12 refills. It was for a wart I have been fighting for over 3 years and had burned off twice that just won't go away. When I went to pick it up, the pharmarsist told me I would see a differance in the refills I had left because she changed the 12 to a 3, giving me 2 more refills left. She said the doctor had made a mistake thinking there were 12 treatments in the box and wrote 12 in the refill box instead. I asked her if that is what they told her when she called them and she said "No, I know that is what they meant so I changed it myself...". I told her I have been fighting this thing for 3 years with the doctors help so maybe the doctor meant me to have 12 refills.

Since I called for the refill over a month ago (when my other refill ran out) and they faxed it to the drug store and I never saw it.... I am sure the doctors office had to have called me and told me I had 12 refills for me to have known I had 12 refills..

The insert says it is at least a 16 week treatment which = 120 days... 12 per box X 120 days = at least 10 refills. You are suppose to use the pack you open ONCE and then throw the left overs away. Can they change anything on your Rx without talking to the doctor first? I DO plan to call the doctor tomorrow and if they meant 12 or 3 refills and get this streightened out.

Ask your pharmacist to show you the physician's faxed order from the last time you had it filled.

Laura's Babies
04-15-2007, 08:04 PM
cassiesmom: This was a new Rx from the doctor and that was needed when the last refill I had (over 30 days ago) ran out. The last refill I had, had "0" refills.. Ha! I looked on the box for this new one I picked up today and it says I have 12 refills left, not the two the druggist told me it would have...

I quit using wal mart when their automated system told my to pick up at 8pm and I was there are 7 and they were closed. I will be checking with my RX plan and see if I can take my Rx's somewhere else if CVS wants to do this to people.

catnapper
04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
This doesn't sound right. No pharamacist shold rethink what the doctor was thinking.... even if 99% of the time they might have meant 3 refills, there's always that one time he really DID want 12!

Man, warts are the worst! I had plantars warts a few years back. I had the same one lasered off, frosen off, removed by a scapel. I even performed my own surgery with an Xacto knife a few times... no idea what I was thinking because I can't see myself doing it today, except I was in pain since this was on the ball of my foot and incredibly painful. It took a few years to finally completely go away = I feel your pain!

Queen of Poop
04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Call your doctor and get it sorted out. For the pharmacist to assume she knows what the doctor wanted is WRONG. You know what happens when you assume stuff.

Laura's Babies
04-15-2007, 10:49 PM
The more I think about it, the more I am sure it was the doctors office that called me and told me they were giving me 12 refills... How else would I have known it and it set so worng with me when the druggist told me she changed it herself.. It really bothered me when I asked her 3 or 4 times IF she called the doctors office and asked and she dodged answering it every time! I called it in yesterday and picked it up today...

I am wondering if she wasn't planning to use MY Rx for someone else and it accounts for all the meds that leave out of there?

Hay Catnapper, I work with a guy who had about 6 of those planters warts on his feet and he could hardly walk sometimes. He finally got rid of them using this medicine and that is what got me to giving it another try. He would scrap them himself too.. I scrap this one every few days, hoping it will make that medicine get to the roots better and kill that thing. I had 2 of them on the same finger. Had them frozen at the doctors one time and had them burned off twice. The last burning killed the biggest one but this little on, right on the tip of my left index finger just does NOT want to go away!!!

king2005
04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I know an RX does have a lot of powers to change some things, like the brand without talking to a dr. or at least the ones here in Canada do. The RXs have a lot of schooling on all these medications, treatments ect. If you have a history with an RX, they know which brands are better for you.

Ex. I can get a prescription for Birth Control Pill & I can leave with Birth Control Patch.

I had a horrible reaction to the ulser meds I was on when I was 16yrs old.. the Dr. gave me the same stuff :( I told my RX what this did to me last time, so she gave me a different brand with diff stuff in it, to see if it reacted with me better. It didn't so she gave me Zantec75 instead.. that helped a lot (I lost so much weight cause my body didn't want to eat due to the pain food caused)...

But always questioning the Dr. about it is a good idea, you never know.

JenBKR
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
That pharmacist is in the wrong. A Rx cannot be changed without the doctor's permission. Have you called your doctor yet? What happened?