PDA

View Full Version : This upsets me :(

K9soul
04-15-2007, 09:59 AM
I watch my humane society's news release page. There was a guy from the Little Falls area (about 20ish miles from here) who got a permit to have a 600-dog breeding facility :eek: Then the permit was revoked because he was planning to debark all the 'breeders' so that there wouldn't be noise complaints. I was so relieved, but now a few days ago this article was posted:

Morrison County approves permit for 500 breeding-dog kennel

LITTLE FALLS -- Morrison County commissioners have approved a permit that allows Gary McDuffee to open a dog-breeding operation that with up to 500 adult breeding dogs. Commissioners did attach 13 conditions to the permit, which cuts 100 dogs from the number McDuffee had been allowed under an earlier permit. The permit also requires McDuffee to set aside one-sixth of his indoor space as an exercise area for the dogs, says he must not debark the dogs or use shock collars and must plant trees along part of his property to cut down on noise. The county added conditions to the permit after the Minnesota Court of Appeals ordered the board to revisit the issue following public complaints. -- Associated Press, WJON

(article here: http://www.tricountyhumanesociety.org/updates/news20070406100823437.php )

This is just going to fill our shelters even more. I can't believe the county approved such a thing. It makes me sick. :( :mad:

Daisy and Delilah
04-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Not only does this make me sick, it makes absolutely no sense!! :mad: :mad: :( Aren't these people even slightly aware of the over population of dogs in this world?? Do they live in a hole? :( :mad: :(

lizbud
04-15-2007, 11:09 AM
These people simply do not care about the dog's after they are sold. Money is the be all & end all of their world. These large breeding facilities
are the same ones who cry foul every time a state or city tries to levy a
fee for maintaining city dog pounds & shelters to deal with the aftermath
dog surplus when the new owners no longer want these pets.

lute
04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
OhNo! That's aweful! I hope he gets a lot of noise complaints and shuts down! This isn't helping the overpopulation at all! Does the humane society give these permits?

K9soul
04-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Does the humane society give these permits?

No, they are just a nonprofit organization run on donations, they are not any kind of political agency. The city council or counties give permits like this as far as I know. The HS put it on their news page because it is definitely going to impact the local shelters :(.

I wish there were something I could do. I don't live in Morrison County, so I don't know that there is anything I can do as far as submit a complaint about it.

Freedom
04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Ugh!!!! I just don't know what else to say!

Roxyluvsme13
04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
:(.
That's really horrible. And how in the world would someone PROPERLY care for 500 dogs? Could you file an online petition or something to get the place shut down?

cyber-sibes
04-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I've never heard of such a thing! How awful for the dogs! :(

pitc9
04-16-2007, 11:23 AM
:(
How sad.....

Suki Wingy
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
How sick. How are you supposed to walk 500 dogs? How do you find out if a dog needs medical attention when you have 500 of them. How do you even run a 500 dog facility? I hope he is employing a lot of people to care for these dogs. :( :( :mad:

steelergrl
04-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I rescued my Jack Russell, Stitch, in October. Since then, we have heard her bark maybe twice. She occasionally growls and cries, but does not bark. We were told that she came from a "puppy mill," so this makes perfect sense. Is there anything I can do to get her to bark again? When my dad comes over, he barks at her to try to get her started, but nothing..
People are sick and cruel. Dogs are meant to bark. That's what they do.. :(

Karen
04-16-2007, 07:02 PM
De-barking actually is surgery that reduces the tissue around the dog's vocal chords so they can still bark, but it is much softer. If your dog has barked at all, it's not a physical issue, but an emotional one. Give her a kiss from me, okay?

steelergrl
04-20-2007, 08:22 AM
I sure will. She is such a loving dog, but it took her awhile to get like that. She does cry and growl occassionally, but not bark. I'll work on it.

Reachoutrescue
04-20-2007, 10:02 AM
This is unbelievable. How can they approve such a horrible act??? Why do people not realize that it is "breeders" like that man that make thousands of dogs die every day? I hate people sometimes.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Oh good grief