PDA

View Full Version : What is your dogs favorite treat?

Ginger's Mom
04-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Ginger's favorite training treat has always been Pet Botanics (http://www.cardinalpet.com/petbotanics/petbotanics.htm) meat rolls (broken into small pieces); it would pretty much guarantee her attention no matter what else is going on. However, yesterday we were out walking and ran into one of Ginger's friends. After they said hello to each other and ran around briefly, they both went off sniffing. Then Khavey's mom asked him if he wanted a Charlee Bear (http://www.charleebear.com/nutritionNew.htm) . He ran to her so fast I thought he was going to knock me over. She then gave Ginger one. :eek: She went just as crazy over it. I couldn't believe it. You would have thought she was carrying around pieces of hot dogs in her pocket. Cindy gave me a few to take home, and Ginger still went crazy over them (even when there was no one else here to eat them if she didn't). They are just little crackers and are only 3 calories each. I can't wait to get her some. :)

Anyway, I am always excited to try new things with her, and was wondering what is everyone else's favorite treat?

Kfamr
04-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Right now their favorites are the Wellness Wellbites. They say I'm being paranoid and staying away from wheat treats, so that's they're favorite.

They say they really like the package of venison and salmon WellBites that aunt Joyce got them. ;)

They also really like Buddy Biscuits sweet potato madness & Newman's Own Organics Peanut Butter. :)

Daisy and Delilah
04-15-2007, 08:26 AM
My girls still go crazy over their chicken strips. We don't go a day without a piece of a chicken strip. As I've said before, they stand by the drawer they're in and stare at me until I get it for them :D

lv4dogs
04-15-2007, 08:41 AM
They say I'm being paranoid and staying away from wheat treats
You are not being paranoid, the contaminated list is huge & it keeps on growing. A LOT of people are feeding totally wheat free foods & treats, rightfully so. :)

My dogs favorite treat is home cooked liver pieces. Commercially speaking, their favorite would be freeze dried liver treats. Most moist treats are well loved too (sorry too many to list lol).

elizabethann
04-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Fenway likes Dogswell treats. He eats the Breathies & the Happy Hips.

This morning though, he had a piece of bacon for a treat. :D

theterrierman
04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
If you really want your dogs to go nuts, check out ZiwiPeak Venison & Fish jerky treats. I use them to teach Fender his emergency recalls. They reek, though. No bare pocket for these treats. No wheat or anything either. Kfamfr, I share your avoidance of any kind of wheat. Who knows what kind of crap is in that cereal-based hardtack called dog treats. Anyway, check these out. They're pretty good, although a little fatty for overweight dogs *cough* Stella.

http://www.ziwipeak.com/Products/ZiwiPeak-Treats/Treats-Family/

fragrancehound
04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
My dog is a little crazy but she loves the low sodium saltines. :p

.sarah
04-15-2007, 01:59 PM
The Labs don't really care, they like anything! Mandy's favorite treat is homemade dehydrated beef, by far.

beeniesmom
04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
My two love beggin strips but thier absolute favorite treat is a carrot stick!

pessimisaurus
04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
the best way to get your dog to go crazy over a treat, is novelty! dont assume they will love the same treat as much as they did the first time, after 2 months of eating it! its the same with us, if you had you favorite holiday dessert every day, you'd soon lose interest. its much more exciting having it just a couple times a year.

that said, my dog's favorites are cheese (bleu cheese especially!), ice cream, pure meat baby food, cheese whiz, peanut butter, natural balance treat rolls, grilled chicken, hot dogs, and the ultimate....... brautwurst or liverwurst. That stuff is pretty rich though so I like to take a small amount and smash it into some pre-cut natural balance, or kibble, so each piece has a nice light coating. Works great for training hard things or in really distracting areas. ;)

The Cat Factory
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Chester loves dehydrated liver, unless it's turkey liver, or rabbit liver. I don't know why, but he won't eat either one, raw or dehydrated. He also loves dehydrated venison meat. :)

petslover
04-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Mine like Bacon Strips & Steak Snacks.

They are so spoiled. They are beggers. When they see you with a bag of chips. They assume that its their treats. haha!

Freedom
04-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Sugar falls all over in her mad dash to get a piece of carrot.

I really haven't provided her with anything else as a treat, as she is so crazy for carrots, and I'm just thrilled to have someone in the hosue who eats her vegetables. :rolleyes:

Sophist
04-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Mine will do anything for diced up bits of Natural Balance rolls.

Ginger's Mom
04-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. :) Yes, the Natural Balance rolls are the same Pet Botanics, Ginger really does like them broken up as treats. Oh pessimasauris, Ginger would LOVE to live with you (ice cream, cheese, natural balance rolls and hot dogs-lol). Kay and terrierman, I think Ginger would really like venison treats. All of you who said your dogs like carrots, I think that is great. Ginger liked them as a puppy, but stopped eating them after learning about other treats (so Sandra you are smart). And fragrancehound, it's funny my sister had a dog that would go crazy everytime you took out a piece of wheat bread (I thought that was the funniest thing).

cyber-sibes
04-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Both of mine are particularly fond of Yummie Chummies.
Sherman likes everything, but when theres Yummie Chummies, he practicaly climbs all over me! He's also very fond of Scooby Snacks.
Star is very picky, she refuses many types of treats...but not Yummie Chummies! She gets right in there with Sherman to make sure he doesn't eat them ALL.
A couple years ago, you had to order them off the Internet, then Petco started to stock them. Now I can get them a little cheaper at our local Kroger, which surprised me.