PDA

View Full Version : Something that bothers me - this is very long

Scooter's Mom
04-14-2007, 04:34 PM
There are so many times I see someone ask for advice on their pets health because they quite frankly can't afford a vet at that moment. They'll usually get some very helpful information but then there is someone who will say "Why own a pet if you can't afford their vet services?"

Well, here's an example of how life really works sometimes...

My brother had 3 kitties and a dog. He adored them. He made great money, had a steady job and was well able to pay for any emergency that should arise. Three children and a wife later, plus a mortgage... he's still got 3 kitties and a dog. But, he loses his job because of downsizing in the company he worked for. He searched for 16 months before finding another job. It was all he could do to put food on the table for his children and his wife, let alone the pets. (I supplied him with pet food during this time so he didn't have to lose his beloved pets.) Thank God no emergencies came up with his pets during that time. He has a good job now, and can pay for emergencies again.

Or how about this scenario...

My aunt (who was divorced and getting NO child support at the time, supporting her kids on a minimum wage job and surviving) has always had pets. She loves dogs and cats, goats, chickens, rabbits, doves... you name it and she's had it. Usually indoors too! She's funny that way. :) She had 3 boys, twins and a boy 3 years older. Suddenly one of the twins is diagnosed with Leukemia. He ends up spending the better part of 5 years in the hospital. During that time, she nearly loses her house and everything she's got because of medical bills. She did have some emergencies come up with her animals, luckily her vet knew her situation and either charged her the very bare minimum or nothing at all. My cousin ended up passing away at the age of 10. My aunt still has as many animals as she can... but the difference is now she can actually pay for her vet services and she uses that same vet.

I just can't believe people would tell someone who is obviously so down on their luck "why have a pet if you cannot afford vet care". Sometimes it isn't a choice. Sometimes it is a matter of "Life happens". Please, don't be so quick to judge people, and please realize that sometimes coming places like Pet Talk may very well be the persons only available option.

Giselle
04-14-2007, 04:46 PM
You know, I have to agree. For the past few years, my family hasn't been doing well financially. Now that we are in this rut, I can understand how difficult it is for even the average family to fully take care of their pets.

Vets (and adamant pet owners) often tout that you should have a wellness exam every year, a dental every year, vaccs every year, heartworm medication, flea medication, premium food and costly obedience classes, but who can actually afford these things? Much less afford these things for multiple pets?

Frankly, much of that preventive care does not happen under this household. We do what is necessary to maintain proper health, and I'm sure my dogs are doing fine. I can hardly imagine paying thousands and thousands of dollars each year on preventive care and still having hundreds, possibly thousands, of dollars left for emergency care. It's not just people with crises that cannot afford "proper vet care". It's regular people and families that sometimes struggle to keep up with their own medical bills, much less their pets. Yet, these pets are happy and healthy and living life with a family they love. What more could an animal lover ask for?

Randi
04-14-2007, 04:46 PM
A good and relevant post. You are so right about this, some of us judge other people much too soon. Everyone's life can change very suddenly, and you may not be able to afford what you could ealier.

Scooter's Mom
04-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Thank you both for not berating my message.

It is just so frustrating to me that when people ask for help they get chastised.

Laura's Babies
04-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Life throws a lot at you sometimes. We've all had it happen and if you are one of the lucky ones, the odds are growing that your time will come up soon. While I have 4 cats that I can afford to keep maintained, someday, that could change... in the blink of an eye... and for anyone!

I do have to agree there are people out there that have more pets that they can take care of. I was in the house of a lady that had 10 dogs and multiple cats, the house was filthy and smelled of urine.. she told me she lives on disability and only gets $650 a omnth and her house note is $550... There is NO way any of hers got vet visits and no way she could afford them.

Kalei
04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I completely agree! I think some people can be too quick to judge as well.

Marigold2
04-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I totally agree, no one can see the future. So sorry to hear of the hardships.

crow_noir
04-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Tell me about it!

Our water heater just lost it's bottom tonight... I had been saving up to buy some Frontline for the foster dog... Now i think that money will be going towards her food. (S.O. usually buys it.) That and the exhaust system went out on my car last week. Thankfully i *can* bike to work. I just have to wake up a LOT earlier. ...That is IF I get called in this week.

I've been getting less and less work... S.O.'s been getting paid less. ...and whispers of his shop closing have been going around.

Though things weren't great in 2006, they were doable. 2007 isn't looking so good.

There are so many times I see someone ask for advice on their pets health because they quite frankly can't afford a vet at that moment. They'll usually get some very helpful information but then there is someone who will say "Why own a pet if you can't afford their vet services?"

My brother had 3 kitties and a dog. He adored them. He made great money, had a steady job and was well able to pay for any emergency that should arise. Three children and a wife later, plus a mortgage... he's still got 3 kitties and a dog. But, he loses his job because of downsizing in the company he worked for. He searched for 16 months before finding another job. It was all he could do to put food on the table for his children and his wife, let alone the pets. (I supplied him with pet food during this time so he didn't have to lose his beloved pets.) Thank God no emergencies came up with his pets during that time. He has a good job now, and can pay for emergencies again.

My aunt (who was divorced and getting NO child support at the time, supporting her kids on a minimum wage job and surviving) has always had pets. She loves dogs and cats, goats, chickens, rabbits, doves... you name it and she's had it. Usually indoors too! She's funny that way. :) She had 3 boys, twins and a boy 3 years older. Suddenly one of the twins is diagnosed with Leukemia. He ends up spending the better part of 5 years in the hospital. During that time, she nearly loses her house and everything she's got because of medical bills. She did have some emergencies come up with her animals, luckily her vet knew her situation and either charged her the very bare minimum or nothing at all. My cousin ended up passing away at the age of 10. My aunt still has as many animals as she can... but the difference is now she can actually pay for her vet services and she uses that same vet.

I just can't believe people would tell someone who is obviously so down on their luck "why have a pet if you cannot afford vet care". Sometimes it isn't a choice. Sometimes it is a matter of "Life happens". Please, don't be so quick to judge people, and please realize that sometimes coming places like Pet Talk may very well be the persons only available option.

carole
04-14-2007, 11:51 PM
A good and well thought out post, i also agree, people's circumstances change, and besides vet fees are high here, it is a wonder anyone can afford to take their pet to the vet, honestly if only the rich adopted pets, we would have a lot more being put to sleep, starving or diseased animals in our society.I am sure there are more people on moderate incomes than rich.

I myself am not one of the rich, we have a moderate income and yes i do have four kitties, not exactly by choice,but all my animals are well looked after, fed,loved to bits,de-wormed,deflead,vaccinated,sheltered, and two of them were living miserable lives, my choice was to have them PTS when the owner abandoned them,but i could and would not do that, however it does mean when it comes to vet visits, they have to be limited to when really needed,of course i would never ever let any of my precious furbabies suffer,one must know that,if it mean't doing without, then i would,but yes one should not be ready to judge so hastily, it can happen to anyone at any time.

Seravieve
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I totally agree with you!! I'm glad to see that others do too.

I can totally feel for people who are short money for vet visits. We have 3 dogs and do the yearly visits for check ups and vaccs.. We don't have a lot of 'extra' money saved up.. but yes. We have 3 dogs and want more. (Lol.. not at this house.. we are already bending the Subdivision rules... Shhhh!)

Id like to take this a step further and say.. So what if they don't have the money to take their animal to the vet. Whats more frustrating than taking your animal to the vet and there being nothing wrong, but it still costs $35+ for the visit? Why not ask the large amount of people on these boards first? Obviously, you can usually tell if its an emergency.. and in that case, yes, take them to the vet asap.. But with random questions, why not ask for free before spending money on a possibly worthless vet visit?

Thank you for the brilliant post!! :)

Alysser
04-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I cannot tell you how much I agree with you on this subject.

My dad was out of work for 14 months and my parents had money saved up just incase something like this happened. It was very useful for bills and such, and luckily Sassy didn't have an emergency and she had gotten her shots! My dad has a job now and it's ok now, but he told me the other day that you never really do get back on your feet completely.

Life has it's ups and downs and we can never predict them. It's important to have extra $$ saved up. Without it, you can go downhill. It's no one's fault they loose their job or they get sick, etc.

The thing that annoys me though, is that some people get pets at the worst times, or they still have a job but their income isn't able to support it. That's when they deserve a speech for thier poor judgement. But like you said, things happen and one day you can be able to support the pets, and the next you can't , I agree that that type of bashing needs to stop.

Thanks for this thread.

Giselle
04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Tell me about it!

Our water heater just lost it's bottom tonight... I had been saving up to buy some Frontline for the foster dog... Now i think that money will be going towards her food. (S.O. usually buys it.) That and the exhaust system went out on my car last week. Thankfully i *can* bike to work. I just have to wake up a LOT earlier. ...That is IF I get called in this week.

I've been getting less and less work... S.O.'s been getting paid less. ...and whispers of his shop closing have been going around.

Though things weren't great in 2006, they were doable. 2007 isn't looking so good.
Tell me about it! We've been naturally flea-free for over half a year, but I just noticed a flea on two of my pups. I went out to buy a single box of Frontline, and it costed me $57! Honestly, now, who has the ability to fork out $57 dollars every month for three dogs? Preventive care is fine and dandy, but I really think some of these things are quite unnecessary. I also doubt the medical benefits, but that's another rant ;)

I understand your last sentiment as well. Financially, since 2001-2002, things have never been as good as they used to be.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-16-2007, 03:55 AM
A very well written post. I will certainly try to think twice before jumping to conclusions

Babyboonie
04-16-2007, 05:30 AM
I totally agree with you...and hope that I don't put a cat amoungst the pigeons with my comment....

My husband and I are certainly not weathly (far from it!!!), however, we do all we can to ensure all our animals are well looked after, fed, loved and taken to the vet when necessary....including annual injections. However, last year my guinea pig, Toffee, was taken seriously ill at the weekend when our usual vet was closed, so I made an appointment with the emergency vet in a nearby town. When we got there, we noticed that it was a surgery that provides low cost veterinary care for those that are unable to afford the "normal" over priced costs that most vets charge...which we thought was a great idea. However, the couple of front of us came out from their appointment with their animal and didn't have to pay a single penny as they claimed they were on benefits, which I didn't even batter and eyelid about.

I then took Toffee in and was unfortunately told there was nothing they could for her as her organs were failing and that the kindest thing to do for her was to put her to sleep. Anyway, when I went to the counter to pay, I was charged just over £100 for the appointment and then a further £50 for putting Toffee to sleep. I stood there in total amazement....did I look like I had £150 to spend.....no i certainly did not, but I paid it, because I was thankful for them seeing Toffee in an emergency.

What annoyed me was that the previous couple who didn't pay a penny were kitted out in designer clothes, wearing what looked like expensive jewellery and then drove away in a brand new top of the range car..........now's where's the justice in that?????

Vela
04-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I agree it is a good idea not to make snap judgements on posts like that. I think there are many circumstances that can come into play in a situation like this. Sometimes bad things happen in life and put us in situations that we have no control over, that is not the same thing though as knowing you cannot afford basic animal care for an animal and getting it anyway.

None of us know the circumstances as to why someone might post a question about vet care so it is not wise to make judgements based on limited information; however, if an animal is in severe pain, has a broken limb, etc etc, you go without food for yourself or don't pay the light bill to take them in. It's part of the responsibility of owning them. It is never wise to judge someone, as those same judgements we give towards others might be meted out on us at some point in time. Bad things happen to everyone and I think most do the best they can for their pets.

The only thing I get upset about is someone who obvouisly cannot or does not provide even basic care, or whose previous animals die very frequently, and then they just pop up with more new ones right away. In those circumstances it's a bit unsettling to see new pets come in that, for one reason or anther, don't seem to last long.

Twisterdog
04-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I agree that there are times in our lives that almost ALL of us have been less financially stable. I know I have spent a few years barely making it, that's for sure! And we do the best we can with the pets we have during those times, just like we do the best we can with our own healthcare, the food we can buy, etc.

And frankly, as much as we all hate to think about it, there is a financial limit for almost ALL of us ... what we can afford to pay for a pet's medical care. The limit is higher for some than others, but most of us do not have unlimited resources to put toward saving a pet, no matter how much we love them. We can work out payments with our vets, use credit cards, borrow money, sell things ... but sometimes, frankly, it's just not enough. I don't know many people who, faced with a ten thousand dollar vet bill, could pay it. That's a sad reality of life.

The thing that bothers me, though, is people who get new pets, knowing they can't afford it. I've not really seen it on here so much, I'm talking more about people I know in 'real life'. I have seen people who literally are getting their utilities turned off, who are in line at the food bank because they can't afford groceries ... and they go to animal control and get yet another dog or cat. They KNOW there is no possible way they can afford even the bare minimum in vet care, yet they get the animal anyway. Then I'll see them a while later, and the dog will have an ear infection, or the cat will have FIP, and they will say, "Well, we can't afford the vet! Do you know what they charge?!?" Why, yes, I do ... seven times over, as a matter of fact. :(

Marigold2
04-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Just an FYI here in Ohio Petsmart does offer a low cost shot clinic every Sat or every other Sat, (please call them) where you can get your dog or cat all of it's shots for a fraction of the cost. I got my Boscoe a complete package for $39.00. It is a walk in type of deal.

critter crazy
04-16-2007, 11:54 PM

A fabulous post and well said!! Great point, and I agree 100% as I have been in the same situations!

Miss Z
04-17-2007, 04:13 AM
The only thing I get upset about is someone who obvouisly cannot or does not provide even basic care, or whose previous animals die very frequently, and then they just pop up with more new ones right away. In those circumstances it's a bit unsettling to see new pets come in that, for one reason or anther, don't seem to last long.

I agree entirely. There is one heck of a difference between people like that and those who genuinely cannot have access to a vet. Most people on this board would try their heart and soul out to scrounge money to get treatment, deep down most of us know that. But as Seravieve said, sometimes seeking advice before leaping into a pit of worry about possible ailments is a sensible thing to do. Surely we would consult some sort of encyclopaedia or book to fit a diagnosis to our pets before taking them to the vets anyway, what's the difference in consulting PT?

Also, I sympathise with those younger members who have to launch into battle with their parents when they believe it is necessary for the pet in question to see the vet. I myself have done it many times before and sometimes I think my pets have suffered because of my parents' lack of compassion for animals. I realise I cannot blame them, but I know full well we have the money to pay for treatment, just my parents would rather spend it on other things. I would have, in a perfect world, walked the 5 miles or so myself to take the pet, but it would have been to no avail, as I am under 16 I am not legally an animal's owner. So what I'm getting at is that more often than not, the intent is there, just not always the possibility. And the passionate, strong intent is really what matters.

crow_noir
04-18-2007, 01:10 AM
If you have a dog near the low end of the suggested dosage you can use the next weight level down and it will work just fine.

Also Frontline actually works for three months, not one. So long as you don't do a heavy shampooing it'll last that long. (If you wash your dogs every month cut back to every three if you can. Then of course wait the week for your dog to get oils back on its coat.)

I honestly didn't like the idea of putting poison on my dog, but he was SEVERELY allergic to fleas.

~ ~ ~

I actually live in a county that was one of the top five poorest counties in 2005!!! My area of MI is hurting badly! Yet, we get by. We may be financially poor, but we're not poor in family. :D

Tell me about it! We've been naturally flea-free for over half a year, but I just noticed a flea on two of my pups. I went out to buy a single box of Frontline, and it costed me $57! Honestly, now, who has the ability to fork out $57 dollars every month for three dogs? Preventive care is fine and dandy, but I really think some of these things are quite unnecessary. I also doubt the medical benefits, but that's another rant ;)

I understand your last sentiment as well. Financially, since 2001-2002, things have never been as good as they used to be.

Argranade
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I Also AGREE 100%!

I think ''If you can't afford the vet you still desurve your pet''

Many people even the homeless have pets, pets do get sick and somtimes they don't have money to pay for the vet well that's life, everything has to die sooner or later .. at least the pet did not have to stay stuck in a shelter. Even if they have to put there pet to sleep at least they gave it a loving home and cared for it with all there heart. Argranade was very sick, I had a chance to take him to the vet (I was short on cash too) but I knew in my heart he was not going to make it, so I just loved him with all my heart and gave him comfert on his last hours on earth.

Some people don't have alot of money YET they'll use every last bit of change they have to feed and keep there pet, lucky enough I do have money to take care of my pets very well BUT if I did not I still would not get rid of them for that reason, as long as there well fed and there heart is happy that's all that matters.

K9soul
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
pets do get sick and somtimes they don't have money to pay for the vet well that's life, everything has to die sooner or later ..

I am glad I do not have that attitude or Raven's days would be numbered.

As for the other posts I agree with a lot said, although it is still frustrating sometimes when someone joins looking for a diagnosis and treatment without consulting a vet. For example: "My dog hasn't eaten in a week and is throwing up what do I do?"

There is nothing anyone here can do about that other than advise to please get to a vet. Then the person sometimes flat states they can't afford it, and continues to post more and more grim updates of the dog's decline. That is when it gets very very frustrating.

Being short on funds is understandable, especially in an emergency, but EVERY effort should be made if something is life-threatening to get the animal treated. There are organizations out there to help if people are truly unable to get money to help any other way. I think most Pet Talkers would "beg, borrow and steal" so to speak rather than just saying "oh well"

Vela
04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Argranade was very sick, I had a chance to take him to the vet (I was short on cash too) but I knew in my heart he was not going to make it, so I just loved him with all my heart and gave him comfert on his last hours on earth.

The responsible thing to do, when your pet it too ill to be saved, is to have that pet put down by the vet when it is suffering that greatly, rather than just let it linger around in the pain of oncoming death until it finally dies on its own. Yes everything dies, but it's the way of death that matters...

Argranade
04-19-2007, 03:03 PM
The responsible thing to do, when your pet it too ill to be saved, is to have that pet put down by the vet when it is suffering that greatly, rather than just let it linger around in the pain of oncoming death until it finally dies on its own. Yes everything dies, but it's the way of death that matters...
He was not suffering, he was just sleeping alot so there was no need to have him put down, I like the natural way better because I dout I could have handled taking him to the vet to be put down. I know if a pigeon has to be taken to the vet or not. If he was REALY in pain then I would have taken him to the vet right away.

I am glad I do not have that attitude or Raven's days would be numbered.
I'm not saying just let your pet die, I mean everything DOES have to die sooner or later but at least TRY to do your best to keep your pets health at top shape ... at least if you want it around long.