PDA

View Full Version : Wrong number?

Laura's Babies
04-13-2007, 12:06 AM
This happened to me today....

The phone rang and I answered it. "Hello, this is John Doe (forgot his real name), I was there Tuesday doing your yard work and I wanted to let you know I finished. I even turned the dirt in your flowerbeds like you asked.."

I was laughing by this time and I told him "Honey, I think you got the wrong number."

He said "No! I got the right number, I was at your house Tuesday!"..

So I asked, "What color is my house?"

He answered, "Your house is WHITE! I was there and I want my money for the work I did!"

Playing along I asked, "And what exactly DID you DO?"

"I mowed your lawn, weed eated and turned the dirt in your flower beds! I want my money!"

I said, "OK, what is the address where you did all this, was it on "X" street?"

He was getting ripe about now and said "Lady! I don't remember your address, it is in my work book and that is at the office!"

"Was it in a Mobile home park?

"No! It was at a white house where you LIVE!"

Then I decided to burst his bubble.. I told him "Honey, I live in a Mobile Home IN a Mobile home park and a LADY, who is my neighbor mows my yard and why would I have you turn the dirt over in my flower beds that I just planted with FLOWERS Saturday?... You HAVE called the wrong number!!!!

""Is your number XXX-XXXX...."

Shocked I said "Well, yes it is, WHO gave you THIS number and WHY would they give you the wrong number and you know where they live? Are you sure you didn't just write the number down wrong?"

"Well, I don't know. I ugh............."

I said "I bet that is what you did" and I hung up, laughing my butt off!

Reachoutrescue
04-13-2007, 12:10 AM
That is so funny!!! That's is just crazy. People are just so strange! Thanks for sharing that...I needed a laugh!!

lute
04-13-2007, 12:14 AM
That's so weird. Poor guy is probably kickin himself in the teeth right now.

Cinder & Smoke
04-13-2007, 01:45 AM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif

Don't you just *LOVE IT* when someone calls you and it's an obviously Wrong Number -
but the caller will NOT believe it when you suggest that they've dialed the Wrong Number!?
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif

"Oh no; I dial this number ALL the time."
"Oh ... when did you get so-and-so's number?"
"Well, Susie-Q answered this number last week."
"Oh, you're pullin my leg ... put Joe on!"
"Oh, wrong number? Maybe you can help anyway ..."

True Tail:
Phone rang at the Shop; I answered with Company Name & My Name ...
"OH, Sorry, wrong number!" <click>

Seconds later <ring>
Repeat of my greeting; repeat of her "wrong number" & hang up <click>

Instant call-back ~ <ring> ... greeting ... <click>
Again it <rings> ... I skipped ahead to "WRONG NUMBER!" ... <click>

She got in at least 10 calls before I *screamed* at her to HOLD ON a MINUTE! ...
WHO are you trying to call, Lady?

"My husband, Alfonzo ... he works here."
Sorry, Alfonzo does NOT work at THIS number ... what number are you dialing?

"I don't know - it's on the Speed Dialer!"
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

I took about 5 minutes to determine she'd JUST programmed a "new" phone a week ago;
and was making the "first call" to Hubby with her new wonder dialer.
She did NOT want to hear it had a wrong number ... "How can it be the wrong number?
I've called him at this number for years!"

OH, for the Love of .... http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif

In desperation I pulled out the phone book and asked WHERE Hubby worked ...
a little Finger Walkin turned up a "similar" number --- IF you substituted
3 or 4 digits!

Getting her to WRITE IT DOWN, PLEASE! ... and dial it the OLD way ...
took another minute or two.
I darn nrear called Alfonzo myself ... but figgured he'd never believe me either!
I still wonder if they ever corrected the number in that speed dialer!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

pitc9
04-13-2007, 07:44 AM
LOL!
Some people just can't take NO for an answer... either that or they're too stubborn to admit they could be wrong!

Laura's Babies
04-13-2007, 08:55 AM
As you can tell by me posting about it, I was highly amused by it.. He could just picture me standing in my white house on the phone telling him he called the wrong number to get out of paying him! (I wonder if he is going to tell that lady in the white house about the phone conversation he had with me...)

angelbow20
04-13-2007, 09:32 AM
This year when I was taking Aiden trick or treated I got a phone call on my cell and it was a girl screaming at me about why I texted her and was flipping out I DONT even have text messaging! She wouldnt listen and was being really mean so my friend grabbed the phone and flipped out on her! I hate when people scream out at other people for calling/texting them when they must have gotten the wrong number and when you try to tell them they have the wrong number they dont stop!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
LOL!!!
A while ago I had a funny call too! It was a older lady and she wanted to speak to Willy! I told her there was no Willy in my house, but she kept asking the same thing over and over again. I finally put the receiver down.

Now guess what: she called back right away: "Is Willy there????"

Oh my, I almost went nuts :rolleyes: :p :)

M&M's Mommy
04-13-2007, 01:14 PM
A friend of mine married to the guy who dialed her numbers by mistake. They ended up talking for 2 hours. He forgot who he intended to call.

The very next day, he dialed her again (this time, it wasn't a wrong numbers anymore ;)) They got engaged 6 months later, and have now been married for almost 10 years. The last time I checked, they have three kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats & a bunny together :) - and the story of how they met are told over and over again.. I myself must have heard it a zillion times!

So you'd never know..

DrKym
04-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Now see when I get the rude ones....the ones that just won't accept that there is a number mis dial....i simply tell them that whomever they are looking for is "occupied "with one of my "best girls/guys" right now and as soon as their credit card clears i will pass the message on to call them................... :p

mina'smomma
04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I know what you mean. Here is my sych

phone rings

me: Good morning Veterans Services

lady: Yes Felix needs his rabies shot and he has a terrible time having a movement.

me: I'm sorry ma'am you have the wrong number. This is the Veterans Services office.

lady: I know that is why I'm calling. I've called this number for the last 15 years.

me: Ma'am I think you want this number 989 555-5555 as it is the one to the local vets office.

lady: No this is the number I want. Let me talk to your supervisor.

me: Yes ma'am please hold for one moment.

By this time I'm thinking about something sad so I don't crack up on the phone because she is arguing with me and pass the phone to my boss who was sitting across the desk from me.

Him: Veterans Services

I'm sorry ma'am we don't offer veterinary services here. We offer services to veterans only.

No ma'am I will not come take your dog to the vet's office

No ma'am this isn't Dr. Morris and no he doesn't work here. His number is (989) 555-5555.

Goodbye ma'am.

That is one phone call we get at least once a week.

cassiesmom
04-13-2007, 02:35 PM
this feels just slightly Freudian to me ... a hospital to which I frequently fax is one digit off from a local plumber ... sorry, wrong nmber!

Freckles
04-13-2007, 02:38 PM
A few months ago I came home to discover a voice mail on my telephone:

"This is Tanya xxxxx's Mother and I want her to come home immediately or else....." This went on for about two minutes with even the police going to be involved.

I often wonder what happened when Tanya got home. :)

cyber-sibes
04-13-2007, 03:04 PM
:o
I often wonder what happened when Tanya got home. :)
LOL! good stories! Hope Tanya finally made it home. :rolleyes:
I've been getting quotes from different moving companies that have come out. One guy called me after a couple days and said "Oh my gosh! I just realized we had your phone number down wrong! I called & left messages three times at the wrong number. The last call, I went through the whole quote! Then they called me back & said I've been leaving messages on the wrong answering machine." LOL! He was very apologetic. Those other people didn't realize they were "moving"!

Blue_Frog
04-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I used to work in a Craft store when i was in college. Once a week, someone would misdial my home number thinking it was the Craft Store (since it was only 1 number off, and the numbers were above/below each other on the keypad).

I'd usually explain to them that they had the wrong number, but ... since i worked at the store anyway, what were they looking for and i could tell them if we generally carried it at the store ...

craftstore (###) 742-####
my.house (###) 745-####

It always made me snicker, and my roomates always got a kick out of it too :)

kuhio98
04-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Here's one that happened to me.

A guy came up to me at work in the hallway. He said "Sharon, I need you to take this box over to xyz."
I said, "I'm not Sharon."
He: "Yes you are."
Me: "No, I'm not."
He: "YES, you are!"
Me: "I think I would know my own name. It's Lisa, not Sharon."
He: "But you've got long, dark hair."
Me: "Yes, so do a lot of people." And I walked away. :confused: :confused: