PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I was bored! New one made today, post 19

Laura's Babies
04-12-2007, 08:06 PM
With this warm weather I am so full of energy. I cleaned out the shed today.... Major JOB, then I still wanted something to do.... I buy stuff when I find it one sale for just such times so when I am bored or restless, I always have something I can do...

Another project I have been knocking around in my head, I decided I had all the stuff to do it with so I did it.. Remember Amy's bed I made the other day? Well, it seems someone else loves it to! Samantha never got on the folded comforter but she loves this..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3033.jpg

Ok, on to the project. It was suppose to be for Kitty Boo but now I guess I will have to make her something else as this sofa bed seems to be taken!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3035.jpg

Here she is, checking out the print to make sure it meets her standards and she approves!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3039.jpg

Ahhhhh! A place to prop my head, how neat!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3041.jpg

Scooter's Mom
04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
What great photos! I love your babies!

Taz_Zoee
04-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Wait!! You MADE that little sofa bed?? That is friggin' adorable!!! And very talented of you. I wish I had the talent to make something like that. And it seems to have been approved. :D

jennielynn1970
04-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Wait!! You MADE that little sofa bed?? That is friggin' adorable!!! And very talented of you. I wish I had the talent to make something like that.

I was thinking the same thing! You could sell those babies on here! I'd buy a few, that's for sure!

Laura's Babies
04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I had the lumber already, the screws already and the fabric and the padding... Last year I bought myself a battery operated skill saw (3 1/2 inch blade) so I wouldn't have to wait for someone else to cut my wood for me.. I had 2 of Mikes staple guns but they are a witch to work with so I went and bought my own today.

It is far from perfect but that is what I love about the kitties, they don't care! The fabric has Silvester, Tweedie Bird and Bugs Bunny on it, it is that quilted baby stuff, so it was perfect for this... so YES, I made it.

Tazz, you could make it, they are easy to do of you have the tools... I have all the battery operated stuff since I am scared of the bigger stuff.... but you could do it! (If I can do it, anybody can!)

jennielynn1970
04-12-2007, 09:58 PM
You are AWESOME! You deserve one heck of a pat on the back! I can't even get a button to stay sewn on. Usually if I want something to stay stuck together, I get out the glue gun, lol. It never stays stuck, and usually looks pretty sad :o

catfamily
04-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Laura..that is so much better than what any store could sell.Plus it's got tons of room.Perfect because Amy can rest her head so nice on the side.
Great job,your very talented and creative :)
My cats would love that too.I think I'll have Mike take a look tomorrow at it and see if he wants to try to make one.It might be fun for him and the cats love watching him do things. :) that's great...now you'll need to do something else for kitty Boo. :)

Taz_Zoee
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I could probably do it if I had instructions to follow. I am very good at following instructions. It's the creativity I lack. LOL :D

Laura's Babies
04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
The instructions are easy. Picture what you want in your head... size, length, depth, do you want sides around it like this one or a headboard and footboard only so it's a kitty bed? Picture it in your head according to the size you want, want it big enough for 1 kitty? 2 Kitties? 3? (or one of the Found Cat Hotel piles :eek: )

That is how you get the size.... Do you want legs on it or set on a base like this one?.... The fun part would be picking out the fabric for it! Whatever you/the kitties would like, how much fabric would depend on what size you make it but it is better to have to much than not enough.. The padding is that preformed flat padding, one layer on the sides and back, 2 layers on the bottom. The fabric you see trimmed with the green binding (also bought on clearance a long time ago) is just like a blanket that can be removed and washed. Everything is put together with screws. Just picture it and build it. If you don't want to cut the wood out yourself, a lot of the lumber yards will cut it for you for a small fee to YOUR specifications... that's what I do for the BIG cuts...

Carla, I bet Mike could whip several of them out in no time! What takes the longest to do is covering them. Took me a hour or two to cover it. GO FOR IT! Be sure to post it if he does make one.

catfamily
04-13-2007, 12:02 AM
OK...I will post them defenitly if he does.And I bet he will make some.He seems to enjoy stuff like that. :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-13-2007, 02:07 AM
I am in love with that sofa bed! You did an awesome job - it looks like Amy gives you her "paw" of approval! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-13-2007, 07:26 AM
What a lovely sofa-bed!! No.... I would NEVER be able to make this, no matter how many battery-operated things available!

Randi
04-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Wow, that's a great kitty sofa, you're so talented! :) What is keeping the back and sides up? Wood?

I was thinking of making one of those scratching post thingies that Freckles had - a picture of it was posted a few years ago. I just don't know how to put the bottom thing together. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
04-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Randi, the back and sides are wood and it is all screwed together. I think a scratching post would be easy and you could use big screwes or nails to attach the post to the base. If you use screws, just drill your hole for the screw first.

Randi
04-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Laura, I found the picture I was referring to, the problem is how to make the sides fit and how to attach them.

Laura's Babies
04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Do you have a miter box? Or you could even use those "L" brackets to attach it if you can bend them to the angle you want.. I have several miter boxes that I use although I am not that good, I get the job done. I might give that a try myself and see how it looks, found some sisal rope in the shed yesterday when I was cleaning it out.. Hummmmmmm?

catmandu
04-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Now you have done it Laura!!
I hope that you realize that there are 13 Found Cats all wondering why they dont have a nice sofa bed like Aunt Lauras Kitties.
You have raised the normally quiet Found Cats and they are now making up picket signs.
I think they are pasting them on the Tubsters as hes the newest.
Thats agreat sofa bed and does Amy ever look happy.

Donnaj4962
04-13-2007, 03:02 PM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOO! Would you look at that Mom???? Can we have one? Puhleeeeze?????

Thanks Laura! :rolleyes: Now you've gone and done it! Tabby and Sashie EACH want one! (Seems their bad Meowmie never taught them to share!)

Seriously... that is one very nice looking sofa! Seems to even have the paw of approval also!

Laura's Babies
04-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok, since I made that blue one for Kitty Boo, I made another one out of stuff I already had on hand. This one sits on legs, has a skirt and seems to be more to Amy's liking. I put a low arm on the front for her "comfort" and so that she would feel safe and secure on it and she seems to like that better that anything I did on the blue one..

Here are the shots I took for those who want to know how to make one...

Leave it like this and it is a small bed. No back..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3047.jpg

Here it is almost complete.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3048.jpg

And complete with Amy approval! I think she likes how snug she feels in this one, nowhere to fall!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3054.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3052.jpg

I just used what I had in the shed, the board for the bottom was already in there this size (12inches wide) The 1/4 inch plywood for the sides and back, was in there cut to the higth it is so all I had to do was cut it the lengths I wanted and the legs were scraps....

jennielynn1970
04-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Amy is just the most precious thing! She looks so happy and comfy! I still don't think I could do it. How do you attach the cloth?? and it's frilly on the skirt! It's so cute! Mine would look like hell, lol. :p

jennielynn1970
04-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Is that a little pillow I see on there too?! How absolutely adorable!

Laura's Babies
04-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes, it is a pillow as my little sweetie LOVES a pillow. She either keeps her head resting on the pillow ot the arm in the front. She just feels so much more secure in it that I have no doubt that she will use it.. (still on it ever since I finished it.)

The cloth is attached with a staple gun and the skirt is pleated, also done with the stapler. Screws for the parts to hold them together, stapler for the padding and fabric. IT IS EASY and I bet you could do it!!! I did this one start to finish in about 2 hours, would have been done sooner but I kept changing my mind on the fabric I wanted to use. :rolleyes:

Medusa
04-13-2007, 05:34 PM
The sofa beds are downright awesome! If you ever decide to sell them, put me on the list.

Laura's Babies
04-13-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd have to see what the cost would be on building them and IF I were to make them to sell, I would want you to pick out your own fabric.. Goodness only knows what it would cost to ship one.... :rolleyes:

catfamily
04-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Mike finally got a look at this and he said he really loved them Laura...he'll make them when he has a chance.We are always so busy around here,but he told me to save it for later when things settle down.

kt_luvs_kitties
04-13-2007, 10:15 PM
I love it! And look like Amy agrees! You sure are handy :p Wanna come put together a cat house I have had since Thanksgiving? lol ;)

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Laura, these are adorable and you sure are talented.:) The last one that you made looks like a little bed in the first picture before you added the rest of the frame to make it look like a sofa.:)

phesina
04-14-2007, 09:18 AM
MEOW-W-W-W-W-W-MIE, I want one of those tooooo!!!!!!!
Elmer

So do we!
Peony, Sydney, Priscilla, and Poppy

Carol Bulger
04-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Laura you know who this is and you can guess what I want....Those sofa's are the best!!! I want one or I will tell Mom on you!!!! My Fred and Sassy would just love a nice soft sofa while watching TV with me.
Bless your and your babies

Laura's Babies
04-22-2007, 08:36 AM
SISTA!! YOU did it!!!!!!!! YOu signed up here!! I will make you one for each kitty, the only condition IS, you have to come pick them up!!!!

EVERYBODY, this is my sister, the one that had Boo before I got her, the one that just made that move from Florida to Washington state!

Sis, I am going to start a new thread and post pictures of Sassy and Fred and you tell everybody about them and how you came to get them. We like to hear about personalities, funny habits, sweet things they do..I think that cage story would be a good one about Sassy! (and Freds names)....

catfamily
04-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi Carol
I'm so happy to meet you.We can't wait to see pictures of your Fred and Sassy.
Is Sassy Sassy? :D
It's great to meet a new PTer.
Carla :)