PDA

View Full Version : Little known USPS facts.

sparks19
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't know how little known they are lol but I know I sure didn't know them lol.

yesterday at work we had a lady come in with her husband and he works for the US postal service.....

I was telling him about the package that has still yet to make it to NY... :eek:

Did you know that all "unclaimed packages" end up going to auction in Atlanta? I didn't know that.

AND did you also know....

When you send a package you should include the shipping and return address inside the packaging. apparently if the envelope gets ripped they will look inside for the shipping address.... if they find one they repackage it and send it off to that address... if there is no address it goes to auction.

Very interesting... learn something new everyday.

pitc9
04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow!!!

See... it IS true... you do learn something new everyday!!

Thanks for the info!!

critter crazy
04-12-2007, 01:54 PM
hmmm....very interesting!!! Sucks for us who are trying to be very patient while waiting for a package!!:rolleyes:

sparks19
04-12-2007, 01:56 PM
hmmm....very interesting!!! Sucks for us who are trying to be very patient while waiting for a package!!:rolleyes:

UGH tell me about it.... I am so frustrated about that. it has been forever. I think it is safe to say that perhaps this particular package has made it's way to auction. I hope whoever buys it pays a lot of money for it... jerks lol.

I will make a new one.

I_luv_rusty
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Wow. :eek: That sucks for the person recieving it.

Karen
04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
But that's only for undeliverable or unclaimed packages. If there is anything left of a package, and any address discernable, they try their best to deliver it - that's the law.

So wrap your packages well, and securely, and address them well, and none of this will happen!

sparks19
04-12-2007, 03:37 PM
But that's only for undeliverable or unclaimed packages. If there is anything left of a package, and any address discernable, they try their best to deliver it - that's the law.

So wrap your packages well, and securely, and address them well, and none of this will happen!

Not nessecarily true lol. yes it is the law... but sometimes crap happens lol. I am living proof of that LOL.

but when going through the machine even if there is a slight tear in the packaging it can easily be ripped off.... and thats why they say to include the address inside the package as well.

I am still trying to figure out how the packaging could have possibly come off the one that has been mysteriously misplaced at the post office. It was the bubble wrap envelope with extra taping to ensure safety.... unless the address got wet and perhaps smudged because it was only written in pen.... I think someone is just enjoying that necklace and not the person it was intended for.

LOL my hubby actually plays with a guy that works for the USPS and it is apparently illegal to drop things in a mail box that is not from the USPS or a mail carrier of some sort.... he said that a neighbour had delivered some cookies to another neighbour and he had to remove the cookies and send a letter to the woman sending the cookies stating it was unlawful to put the cookies in the mailbox and that they had to confiscate the cookies. Interesting how that works.

sparks19
04-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Wow. :eek: That sucks for the person recieving it.

It sucks for both parties really. :(

Pam
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
You never know what you will learn on PT. ;) By the way, when are the US postal rates going up? I think it's soon but honestly I did not pay full attention when I was listening. :o

sparks19
04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
You never know what you will learn on PT. ;) By the way, when are the US postal rates going up? I think it's soon but honestly I did not pay full attention when I was listening. :o

I think it is around May 15th or something like that

Lady's Human
04-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes, unclaimed packages are auctioned by the USPS. Much of what is auctioned, however, are insured packages which were damaged and refused. After the claim is paid, the postal service auctions off the packages to try and recoup losses from shipping insurance, as the USPS is self insured.

HOWEVER

The postal service has to make many,many attempts to either deliver the package or return it to the original sender.

If properly addressed, it is HIGHLY doubtful that a package is ever sent to auction.

There are many variables which go into how long it takes for something to get from one place to another. If you sent it book rate, third class, or parcel post, it can take time to get from point A to point B.

sparks19
04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
It is just amazing to me that a package sent for just about the same amount of postage is said to make overseas in 2-4 days.... but can't make it one state over in over 3 weeks. :D

Karen
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Much of that may depend on the local post office.