PDA

View Full Version : fostering

toughCookie
07-08-2002, 07:47 PM
how many people on here foster cats? I know there are some but I do not know who they are...

aly
07-08-2002, 10:27 PM
I foster kitties. I have 4 fosters right now, two of which I've raised since they were a couple days old.

K & L
07-09-2002, 07:56 AM
We've fostered once. We're not good foster parents since we get too attached and end up keeping them!!!

wayne0214
07-09-2002, 05:47 PM
K & L, I think that is one of the main factors in fostering cats. The shelters know that once you take in a foster furkid, then you will see how much they fulfill your life and become part of the family, and then you will subsequently, want to keep them! :) About the only way to keep from fostering pets, especially to us cat lovers. is to stay away from the shelters. I say, that I would have more adoptees and fosters if I had a larger place. However, this will become a reality as soon as I get moved from this little house.

.............wayne

moosmom
07-09-2002, 06:10 PM
I have fostered many cats and kittens in my 4 years in rescue. I have become attached to every single one of them, but know deep in my heart that finding them homes is the right thing. It's difficult but it can be done.

K & L
07-10-2002, 09:43 AM
The last 2 kittens we fostered we can't quit thinking about. Always wondering where they went etc. It's rough! It's also hard when we have to release the cats back in the park after we TNR them, but at least we keep seeing them! If we had the land and money we'd have a cat sanctuary!

Logan
07-10-2002, 10:10 AM
I have never fostered a cat before. Butter showed up here and stayed. :o But, I am working with Golden Retriever rescue now, and my first foster girl is coming here tonight. I have been a temporary foster parent a couple of times when a permanent foster parent had to go out of town and I think that was a good way to get started. I loved them, but found it easier to let them go because I knew they were going back to loving foster parents. Splash (see my post in Dog Rescue) will be my first real test. I know that I can't keep her, as much as I will probably want to, but I will have a say so in where she ends up permanently. That helps.

Good luck, if you're considering doing it. You know, according to the rescue people I work with, you are a "foster failure" if you can't let them go. Because if you keep the foster baby, it makes no room for you to help another one later. Just a thought. :)

yorkster
07-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Well, I've only fostered once. I guess I was a foster-failure cuz I kept the little rascal. :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll try again...............:)

lovemymaltese
07-11-2002, 12:41 PM
I would foster them if I could, unfortunately I am allergic.