PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted Folks

wombat2u2004
04-12-2007, 05:51 AM
Tomorrow, Bear my Border Collie goes for de-cashew nutting.
Now I don't like this idea of subjecting my dog mate to the knife....so I'm asking for some plus and minus feedback here.
I'm off to bed now...and will check this thread tomorrow morn, and then I will make a decision whether to do a runner, or drag the poor bugger into the vet surgery.
Feedback from the very talented folk of this site would be appreciated.
Wom

Pawsitive Thinking
04-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Both my boys have been "done" and neither of them appear to bear any grudges towards us.

You are doing the right thing for your mate Wom.

You might want to post this in dog general though

cassiesmom
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Good luck at the vet's, Bear ... Wom, will you let us know how Bear does, please.

Freedom
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
best wishes Bear. You will be up and about in no time!

Karen
04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
There are many positives for getting it done. No one like visiting Sir Jury, but in this case, it's better to be done than not. It'll make him more comfortable, less concerned with procreating, and with some dogs, even helps them be less territorial.

And here's a whole page on the subject:
http://www.y2spay.org/CanineNeut2.htm

cyber-sibes
04-12-2007, 12:07 PM
It's a good idea for his long-term health, too. I don't know how old he is, but some people have had older males "done", and they cope just fine. (Glacier's Muskwa was about 8 when he got neutered) Younger dogs are bouncing around again in no time.
"I win, Muskwa loses" by Glacier" (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=75956&highlight=Muskwa)

finn's mom
04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I've always had my pets spayed and neutered, and I've personally never had any negative results from the surgery. Good luck, Bear!

sparks19
04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Good luck Bear.... how old is bear?

We had Teddy done.... and the only day he was at all affected by it was the first day we brought him h ome and he was still drowsy from the anesthesia (sp?) the next day he was rip roarin and ready to take on the world. I don't think he even knew they were gone.

Reachoutrescue
04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Getting it "done" is the best thing for your mate. It will reduce aggression, he will be calmer, and it lowers chances of prostate cancer. You are doing the right thing Wom. Good luck to you and your pup.

pitc9
04-12-2007, 01:47 PM
As far as I've ever known... there's no reason NOT to spay and neuter your animals and there are a millions of reasons why you should.
Those millions of reasons are the millions of animals that are put to sleep every year in shelters simply because there are not enough homes for them to go to.
Perfectly normal, happy, healthy animals die because people still don't realize it's their responsibility as a pet owner to spay and neuter their animals.

I adopted Buddy when he was already a year old, I took him to be neutered a few months later and he never even noticed anything was missing, I'm sure Bear will be the same.

sparks19
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
If he does notice they are missing.... they actually make synthetic testicles for dogs :confused: I am dead serious.

Canis-Lupess
04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I saw that, lol. I think those are more for the macho men who don't like a dog that doesn't have his balls anymore. Men seem to have a much harder time having their dogs done, especially male dogs. The synthetic balls are there to make these stupid idiotic ego ridden males feel more manly knowing their male dog still has testicles whether they be real or not. :rolleyes:

I hardly imagine the dog is going to give a damn...really!!!

wombat2u2004
04-13-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks Folks...........
All I got from you all was the plus's....so I am happy with that.
I had to go out on an emergency job today......so Karen took him down to the snip room....LOL.
He's kinda wonky, but still managed to greet me at the door for his pat when I returned this evening at 5pm. But the look he gave me as I came in was "Dad, I've lost my cashew nuts...what am I going to do now with Daisy across the street ??" So I thought back at him "Sorry mate !!!"
The poor fella....I know it had to be done, but I feel so sorry for him.
He's 7 months old for those who have asked his age.
Anyway...thankyou all so much for your input, it is very much appreciated.
Wom

wombat2u2004
04-13-2007, 03:47 AM
If he does notice they are missing.... they actually make synthetic testicles for dogs :confused: I am dead serious.

Wow...really ??? I might get a set for myself !!! LOL
Wom

dukedogsmom
04-13-2007, 03:50 AM
Wombat, you are too much! I had to laugh at your description of Bear's dilema. He'll be fine and he won't miss them.