PDA

View Full Version : Cross between a mini schnauzer and a soft coated Wheaten Terrier

flipgirl
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi,
I've only seen one site that shows a cross between a Mini Schnauzer and a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier. I love both breeds so in my uninformed opinion, this would be the perfect hybrid!!! Does anyone know if there are any breeders who breed this mix?

Karen
04-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I hope no one intentionally mixes the breeds - you wouldn't necessarily get the "best of both breeds" but you might find one searching http://petfinder.org - worth a shot.

flipgirl
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Ok thanks Karen! The only picture I found was on www.dogbreederinfo.com but they don't list any breeders. If they do exist, I would hope they would be responsible breeders. What would your objection be?

Karen
04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
There are so many - many, many, many dogs that get put to sleep because of a lack of homes in this country every year. That breed mix might be cute as a pup, but would be surely a very high-energy dog, therefore more likely to end up in a shelter because people bought an adorable puppy not understanding the needs of the dog. A bored pup is a destructive pup, and the more energy they have - well, the more they'd destroy.

I have nothing against mixed breed dogs, per se, have loved and been owned by many of them. Just don't think it's responsible to be breeding mixes intentionally when so many are dying every day for the want of a loving home.

My friend's Wheaton - a much loved pup - ate their couch when left alone as a pup. They got a cheaper replacement couch, and a brother Wheaton for him to keep him occupied, and decided happy dogs were more important than lovely furnishings. Many people wouldn't have made that choice. Squeaky toys have a life-span of less than 26 seconds in their house - and once the squeaker is ripped out and the toy shredded, neither dog cares about it any more!

luvofallhorses
04-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok thanks Karen! The only picture I found was on www.dogbreederinfo.com but they don't list any breeders. If they do exist, I would hope they would be responsible breeders. What would your objection be?

breeding a mixed breed on purpose just to experiment is anything but responsible or breeding a mixed breed, period is so not responsible.

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html

why not adopt a mixed breed from a shelter or rescue locally? trust me, you are better off adopting a mixed breed than buying one AND you will save a life! You would not want to put money in the pockets of those that are irresponsible also known as "back yard" breeders.

I suggest to you that you look on http://www.petfinder.org like Karen suggested. :) Good luck and please do not buy a dog, especially if you are looking to buy a mixed breed and it's not good to buy from them. adopting will save a life, buying will not. there are so many mixed breeds in shelters all over the world needing homes because people breed mixes. please open up your home to a shelter dog, you will not be sorry! sorry this is so long and you will find purebred dogs in shelters, too.

here are how many wheaten terriers are on petfinder 114

and schnauzers 750

and I bet you there is more mixed breeds in shelters than anything. IMO mutts are the best, especially rescued mutts! :)

applesmom
04-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Any one that takes two purebreds and deliberatly crosses them just to sell puppies cannot possibly be considered an ethical breeder! They are nothing more than a puppy manufacturer and belong in the same catagory as careless pet owners, BYB, puppy mills and pet brokers! :eek:

Flipgirl why would you choose one of these mixed breeds rather than a Miniature Schnauzer or a SC Wheaton Terrier? What would be the advantage?

Genny
04-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I agree with everyone. I think you should adopt from a shelter and www.petfinder.com always has pets that need to be adopted in almost every area you can think of.
I have a mix dog--I bought her :( and I know there are tons of dogs that need homes, so buying a dog isn't the best choice, but she belonged to my mom's friend who accidentally let her dogs get together and have puppies by mistake. My little girl is a maltese/pomeranian mix. So, she isn't very hyper like a schnauzer/terrier mix would be. But, I wouldn't trade her for any other dog in the world ;)
Just make sure you do your research on any pup you decide you want, and I suggest like everyone else to adopt from a shelter. I am definitely going to adopt my next dog from one.... Mix dogs are so wonderful--I think pure bred dogs are just as great!!

I haven't ever really heard of that mix of dog either though--I'm sure they're are some schnauser mixs or terrier mixes ready to be adopted at a shelter somewhere. It might not be the same exact 2 breed mixes you want, but it will be very rewarding I know to help a little dog/puppy and give him/her a great home where they'll be loved.

Let us know what kind you get if you get one.

Genny

Giselle
04-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi flipgirl, I ditto everything everyone else has said before me. However, I want to point out one thing. I'm now the owner of a puppy who is exactly half Doberman and half Labrador. Unfortunately, genetics doesn't play out the way we always want to, and this puppy looks and acts 100% Doberman.

Keep that in mind, please. Crossing Breed A and Breed B will not give you a puppy exactly half of each. Genetics is more or less a shot in the dark and you get exactly what you pay for - a random mix.

Flatcoatluver
04-12-2007, 01:09 AM
From my experience with both breeds, mixing those breeds together your going to get a VERY hyper and big time barker. The wheaten terrier is so active, at work I must have thrown a ball for 30 mins. and then let him play for 30 mins with other dogs and he was still wanting to play. Schnauzers are the exact same way.

Now I am not saying there bad breeds, but not a breed to mix, let alone mix a dog on purpose. I can't even imagine what they would look like as adults, and are you sure it's a mini and not a standard or giant schnauzer mix? That also wouldn't be healthy. Adopting is a great feeling and most of them are already tested if they are going to be good with children, cats, and dogs. Another plus is there already spayed and neutered, microchipped, and updated on all there shots.

luvofallhorses
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Bre,

not all shelters microchip. however, I know most rescues do microchip.
we microchip at the shelter where I volunteer and animals that
are re-claimed as well, of course it's optional for them to microchip, but
we do microchip, because a lot of people are losing their animals these days.
It doesn't cost extra..it does for the cats because it is optional for the cats to be microchipped as we are hoping they will be indoors..

it's included in the adoption fee with the dogs, though, as long with a free month of health insurance, a free exam from your vet that is good for 2 weeks, and we include a small bag of food as well and a identification tag.. and of course they have to leave spayed or neutered, too and we give them shots for distemper and bordetella (kennel cough) and worm them. all you have to get is rabies and if they have to be on meds because they get tapeworms or whatever, we include a copy of the med sheet to take with them to the vet. :)

Reachoutrescue
04-14-2007, 01:47 AM
I, too, agree. You should not cross breed different breeds, it can really have some bad side affects. Not mention (as everyone else did) there are so many unwanted pups and dogs in shelters and pounds just days away from being euthanized. Remember....DON'T BREED OR BUY WHEN A SHELTER PET DIES... Words to live by. We microchip here as well, it is safer for the pet if he/she gets lost.

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
04-23-2007, 06:07 AM
I'd like to add that that they are NOT hybrids. I *hate* seeing websites and BYB breeders say their mutts are hybrids because they took two pure bred dogs and mixed them. Its as bad if not worse than designer dog "breeds". It misinforms a lot of people. The guy who started massbreeding puggles says he "invented" the hybrid breed!! :rolleyes: geez.

Sometimes you get luck and find exactly a half & half cross:
our Alaskan Malamute x Cardigan welsh corgi is a perfect example.
she IS however very stubborn and Very hyper/active. like both breeds.
an SPCA rescue.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/xVelvet_FuzzButtx/3%20Dog%20Night/9a951e98.jpg

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
04-23-2007, 06:10 AM
I checked www.petfinder.com really quick and found several schnauzer/wheaton mixes btw..

flipgirl
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Thank you for all your replies and now that I've read them I will surely not go looking for a breeder of such a mix. I'm a new dog owner and I would love to have both a wheaton terrier and a mini schnauzer as I love both breeds...well there are not many breeds I don't like. I would certainly not like to contribute to the many dogs that are killed or abandoned due to their unpredictablity and am aware that people will mix breeds for money...I was just wondering what other objections there would be. But thanks for setting me straight....a wheaton/schnauzer mix would certainly be more than a handful. If I had to choose between a wheaton and a schnauzer, I don't know which one I would choose! But that is not to say that I wouldn't rescue a dog either! Again thanks for the information...

Jakesmom
05-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Both are terriers, and hence, well, they're terriers--stubborn, smart, and active. Personally, I love wheatons. We had one who had been raised by someone who was up to raising a terrier (that wouldn't be me), and we got him when he was 8 (his original owners couldn't keep him anymore). He was a wonderful dog, very sweet, loving, determined as all get out, an incredibly mentally tough dog. My observation is wheatons are very determinted and energetic, but not as hyper as the mini or standard schnauzers (though I've never owned a schnauzer, just observed them in dog parks).

Wheatons do have some health issues, however, especially congenital renal disease, so if you go with a wheaton, check into the breeding carefully.

jake's mom

wolfsoul
05-04-2007, 09:31 PM
The breeds are incredibly alike in temperament. I am a dog groomer and schnauzers and wheatons are both very popular reeds that come into the shop. I always say that wheatons are just like big schnauzers. No other breeds consistently freak out when you try to pick them up lol.

Since they are so much alike I would say just get a purebred of one or both (but not to breed together). Breeding mixes is irrespnsible. Too many dogs in shelters -- people should be breeding to better a breed, not to create more.

kelly4444
01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I own a Wheaton Terrier/Mini Shnauzer mix and she is probably the best dog you could ever have, she's adorable, smart, well behaved, she has an amazing personality and everyone wants a "Cooper" when they meet her.

I recommend this breed over any other.

kelly4444
01-26-2008, 11:01 PM
So, obviously none of you have owned or met a SC Wheaton Terrier/ mini Schnauzer mix, because I do own one and have met several, and they are one of the best breeds I have ever met, and everyone who meets my dog always asks us where she came from and how they can get one just the same.

They are very smart,(we taught ours to use a doggy door in 20 minutes) and with this, sometimes gets herself in trouble, but she loves people and is very sweet, and very funny... So I recommend this breed to everyone and anyone....

Any questions?

Suki Wingy
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Every dog is different. When refering to the temperament of a breed it is always a "most likley" situation.
The temperament of a dog has some to do with breeding, some to do with the environment a dog is raised in.
What most everyone is saying in this thread is while your dog may be a great, smart companion, there are others dying in shelters who would make just as great pets. I'm not saying your dog isn't special, I'm just saying another dog of the same mix is NOT necessarily going to be the same. As Sophie (Gisselle) pointed out, when you cross to breeds you are capible of getting a large range or temperaments and traits. Sometimes these are not even apparent in either of the parent breeds. For example, Golden/Poodle crosses sometimes have wirey coats that are different in texture from the poodle or golden ret.

cloverfdx
01-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Kelly they are a cross breed not a breed ;). When you mix 2 different breeds together you dont know what you are getting with the resulting pups.

buttercup132
01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
I like how you keep calling it a breed like it's purebred lol.

Twisterdog
01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you for all your replies and now that I've read them I will surely not go looking for a breeder of such a mix. I'm a new dog owner and I would love to have both a wheaton terrier and a mini schnauzer as I love both breeds...well there are not many breeds I don't like. I would certainly not like to contribute to the many dogs that are killed or abandoned due to their unpredictablity and am aware that people will mix breeds for money...I was just wondering what other objections there would be. But thanks for setting me straight....a wheaton/schnauzer mix would certainly be more than a handful. If I had to choose between a wheaton and a schnauzer, I don't know which one I would choose! But that is not to say that I wouldn't rescue a dog either! Again thanks for the information...

Wow, it's SO nice and refreshing to see someone listen and take others' opinions into consideration without getting defensive! My congratulations for your open-mindedness.

As for choosing between the two, adopt one of each from a shelter instead! :D

I also agree with what everyone else said. You don't always get "the best of both worlds" when crossing breeds, in fact, I would say you practically NEVER get a 50/50 split of traits, good or bad. I happen to like Italian greyhounds and English bulldogs. Can you imagine crossing the two and hoping to get the best of each? Perish that thought! :eek:

Kelly444 - I'm sure you have a lovely, wonderful dog. I happen to have a few lovely, wonderful, smart crossbreeds as well. But they are not "breeds". They are mutts. A crossbred, with two distinct purebreds as parents, or a Heinz 57 pooch, with dozens upons dozens of different dogs in its ancestory ... they are both mutts, mixed breeds, whichever term you prefer. Mixed breeds are great. I own four. I adopted them all and saved their lives. However, to intentionally breed mixed breed dogs is beyond irresponsible, when tens of thousands are dying in shelters, and starving in alleys.

flipgirl
02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, it's SO nice and refreshing to see someone listen and take others' opinions into consideration without getting defensive! My congratulations for your open-mindedness.

As for choosing between the two, adopt one of each from a shelter instead! :D

I also agree with what everyone else said. You don't always get "the best of both worlds" when crossing breeds, in fact, I would say you practically NEVER get a 50/50 split of traits, good or bad. I happen to like Italian greyhounds and English bulldogs. Can you imagine crossing the two and hoping to get the best of each? Perish that thought! :eek:

Kelly444 - I'm sure you have a lovely, wonderful dog. I happen to have a few lovely, wonderful, smart crossbreeds as well. But they are not "breeds". They are mutts. A crossbred, with two distinct purebreds as parents, or a Heinz 57 pooch, with dozens upons dozens of different dogs in its ancestory ... they are both mutts, mixed breeds, whichever term you prefer. Mixed breeds are great. I own four. I adopted them all and saved their lives. However, to intentionally breed mixed breed dogs is beyond irresponsible, when tens of thousands are dying in shelters, and starving in alleys.

Well thanks Twister....when I wrote that first quote, I was totally naive and uneducated about dogdom - now I'm a little more educated - I'm glad I have this forum to get straight answers!

I would love to get one of each but that will have to wait until I get a bigger place. I know a few wheatons (my groomer has 3 and my friend has one) and I know a mini schnauzer and I fell in love with them instantly. But I also love Olde English Sheepdogs, Old English bulldogs, American Staffordshire Terriers, Boxers, labs, etc etc!!! So I guess education comes at a price!! haha

I think it's interesting that with all the attention given to the Ellen DeGeneres debaucle, more attention was given to the issue of puppy mills and pet stores but such progress was halted by the Paris Hilton's of society. Who, by the way, just admitted to having 17 dogs and also abandoned a cat at her vet's. I wish I knew then what I know now but then a lot of people would not have learned from all the replies my original post generated!

I'm also glad that there are people like you that adopt these mutts from shelters and rescues - it sure takes a special person to do that. I have actually tried three times to adopt a dog but because of the size of my place, it wasn't feasible. I go on the websites of the shelters around my area and I cannot believe the number of mutts there are...In Toronto, where I work, they are reducing the funding given to shelters so there will be a lot of abandoned animals roaming the streets. What I would give to rescue these poor dogs! Honestly, having a dog has made me realize that dogs are more 'human' than some humans themselves!!!

buttercup132
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I wish I knew then what I know now but then Don't worry, I think everyone wishes that. We aren't born knowing and unfortunatly not everyone is born into animal loving familes. Alot fo people on here have puppy mill/pet store puppies but now know that it's wrong.
I'm glad you changed your mind:)

In Toronto, where I work, :confused: It says you live in Oklahoma so how do you work in Toronto? Unless their is a Toronto in Oklahoma.
If you work in Toronto Ontario, I can help you find a dog in need of a home.

flipgirl
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi buttercup,
I just replied to your PM - I was born in Oklahoma a long long time ago :) but work in Toronto. I actually live in Burlington.

Let me know how you can help me in a PM....thanks!!!!

OmahaGuy
03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I own a standard schnauzer and wheaton terrier mix.

For those who wonder why a breeder would cross the two, the puppies are great. And they have a special meaning to me. The breeders are friends who I have known for 43 years. I am not going to spill my guts on a website, but let me say that this dog brings both great dog qualities and a lifelong friendship with their family together.

I get the whole dog rescue thing. I have rescued dogs. But I lost one of my dogs to a car accident and when I dropped her body off to be creamated I wanted a puppy. I took home a 6 month old standard schnauzer / wheaton terrier mix. And he looks a lot like a giant schnauzer if you are wondering.

Good breeders are just that -- good breeders. This family took two dogs that each mean a lot to their respective owners and bred them. And I am grateful.

GregP
04-22-2009, 01:12 PM
My dog, Wendel, is now 4 years old and I may be looking for a brother for him in the next year or two. I came across this site while looking up where I might get another "Schwheaton", like my beloved Wendel.

Anyone who warns against this mix has obviously not met one. Before picking up Wendel, my wife and I went to about 8 different breeders of various (non-shedding) pure bred dogs and mixes. We were very picky that the puppy absolutely had to have the right temperament. When we arrived at the breeder of Wheaton/Schnauzer mixes, we knew right away that we were getting a dog that day. We could have picked any one of the 7 or 8 dogs that were there and we wouldn't have made a bad choice.

Wendel is friendly, loving, great with kids and other dogs, submissive, non-shedding, does not bark very much (i.e. less than most dogs), is playful (including fetching) when we are, and happy to lie around the house and watch tv with us. He is almost the perfect dog. Just to be fair, his negative points would be that he's not a great guard dog (besides barking once or twice if he hears the doorbell), and we're still working on the "come" command while other dogs are around.

When we walk our dog we are constantly stopped as people tell us that we have "the cutest dog ever", to which we politely reply "your dog is pretty cute too". We are also often asked where we got our dog by prospective dog owners.

Although somewhat rare, we have met a few dogs of the same mix - and all of them were great dogs. As far as dogs for a family go, this is one of the best breeds/mixes you will ever find.

IRescue452
04-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Do you realize that a wheaton-colored standard schnauzer would be the exact same thing? That's basically what you're looking for isn't it? Wheaton-colored purebred schnauzers do exist.

cawicker
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I realize it's kind of late to pipe in here, but want to anyway as somebody who's had both a wheaten cross and a schnauzer. My wheaten might have been purebred, I'm not sure since like the schnauzer he came from the pound. Both were delightful dogs, although the schnauzer was awfully yappy until he blessedly started losing his hearing at 10 ;-). He lived to 19, BTW.

There are a couple of things the AKC folks fail to mention. For one thing, many breeds out there are the result of people breeding particular breeds together in order to get a new breed with particular qualities. So, when did the evolution of dogs stop? When the AKC decided? Some of the toughest, adaptable and smartest dogs out there are the indeciferable mixes you see in places like Mexico. Sled dogs that are mixes often fetch much bigger bucks than a Husky (better for speed in races but otherwise not the best sled dog for regular work).

Another thing is that the AKC has bred into breeds many of the problems that plague them. For example, somebody somewhere decided that "sloping hips" were a desirable trait for a German Shepherd. Now it's very hard to get one that doesn't have hip problems. Short noses and squished in faces for dogs like pugs and shiz tzus resulted in breathing problems. Ever heard a little pug on a hot day? Wheezing and snuffling? Wouldn't he be better off with a longer nose? But then he wouldn't pass the beauty contest!

I'm really not trying to rip the AKC - but I resent the fact that they try to say that these dogs are somehow "better" than a mixed breed mutt. My beloved Wheaten cross just died of cancer, and I'm seriously thinking about a designer mutt to replace him. I have allergies and a whoodle (wheaten/poodle) sounds like a smart, soft, and good natured mix. So, maybe they aren't recognized breed according to the AKC, but I don't think labradoodles are yet, either. Yet they are extremely popular. A shnoodle, whoodle, labradoodle? Why not? Maybe they'll be "recognized" one of these days. A shnauzer without skin problems, a less high-strung version of a poodle? How could these possibly be considered bad breeding?

IRescue452
06-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Crossbreeding dogs stops when responsibility stops.

REPUTABLE breeders who want to crossbreed for certain traits start a parent club. They select a set of traits they want to try for. They select well-bred purebreds to start with. The take records of each generation. They get numerous health tests, not just from veteranarians, but from specialists in canine eyes and hips and spines and genetics and so fourth. Its a very long process and carefully planned. The breed becomes elegible for purebred consideration only after about 20 generations of breeding the hybrids to each other, not counting any generations where you bred back to a purebred of either breed you are using.

Bybs, puppy mills, non-reputable breeders do not have a parent club. They do not start with good stock because good breeders will not allow their dogs to be sold to a hybrid breeder. They do not do all of the health screening beyond a regular vet. They often do not even breed past the first or second generation hybrids.

This is why the evolution of breeds is such a controversial problem.

Believe it or not, the cockapoo has been eligible for purebred status for many years now. The parent club has more than enough generations behind them and the standard is developed enough that if they wanted to pursue it. But I suggest they give it a new name or people are going to start breeding hybrids from two purebred parents thinking they have the same thing as the parent club.

All of the arguements in this thread say that wheaton/schnauzer crosses were "the best dog ever" or "well-behaved" or "well-tempered". You would be saying the same thing if you had gotten a purebred and had it for life. Do you have any arguements that put the hybrid above and beyond what a purebred pup has to offer?

Jags mom
07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
One thing that i would object to with the mixing or those 2 breeds is the coat they will have when they reach adulthood. As a groomer we have run into a lot of dogs crossed with one or the other, most crossed with schnauzers are really homley looking dogs(cute as pups), and sadly there are so many owners that are too judgmental and get rid of it. And wheatons have a high mantinace coat that matts really really easy and tight, even i would not own a wheaton or cross for that reason, and their personality is not one that most tolerate, from what i have seen and heard. Not saying that you wouldnt take care of it, but there are A LOT of ppl out there that wouldnt.

Tora Oni
07-26-2009, 08:51 AM
I'd like to add that that they are NOT hybrids. I *hate* seeing websites and BYB breeders say their mutts are hybrids because they took two pure bred dogs and mixed them. Its as bad if not worse than designer dog "breeds". It misinforms a lot of people. The guy who started massbreeding puggles says he "invented" the hybrid breed!! :rolleyes: geez.

Sometimes you get luck and find exactly a half & half cross:
our Alaskan Malamute x Cardigan welsh corgi is a perfect example.
she IS however very stubborn and Very hyper/active. like both breeds.
an SPCA rescue.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/xVelvet_FuzzButtx/3%20Dog%20Night/9a951e98.jpg

I've seen another dog like that His name is Nico he is in a Kentucky Humans society commercial. His fur is a little longer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUUXTU-UkSI Though I'm not 100% sure he is a half and half mix. Though he looks like yours.

I would look for a schnauzer mix since they seem to be more of them around in the shelters since they do seem to be rather popular dog. Though around here I know we have a rescue just for Schnauzers.

Pop Alexandra
01-31-2022, 05:31 AM
One thing that i would object to with the mixing or those 2 breeds is the coat they will have when they reach adulthood. As a groomer we have run into a lot of dogs crossed with one or the other, most crossed with schnauzers are really homley looking dogs(cute as pups), and sadly there are so many owners that are too judgmental and get rid of it. And wheatons have a high mantinace coat that matts really really easy and tight, even i would not own a wheaton or cross for that reason, and their personality is not one that most tolerate, from what i have seen and heard. Not saying that you wouldnt take care of it, but there are A LOT of ppl out there that wouldnt.

That's my feeling, too.
Difficult to maintain, but they're also very beautiful if they're properly taken care of.