PDA

View Full Version : Thursday #207 -- Happy National Licorice Day

cassiesmom
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Mario, I guess it's just you and me. Everyone else must be putting away their Easter bonnets and baskets. It's such a nasty day outside, I think I'd like some hot chocolate with a little peppermint Schnapps. I'll be having drinks with little umbrellas and fruit slices on the glass soon enough.

I'm sorry, what? You think they'll want some proof about National Licorice Day? Will this work? http://www.candyusa.org/Candy/licorice.asp

RedHedd
04-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Spanish juice, eh? I'll have a cuppa THAT! I LOVE licorice! In fact this past Easter Sunday, after dinner out with a girlfriend, we went and played in Walgreen's and came out with a bag of licorice (and lipstick and nailpolish). We were giggling like teenagers walking down the street, chomping on licorice. :D

Cinder & Smoke
04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
... they'll want some proof about National Licorice Day?

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif
I'd love to help celebrate, but I keep remembering one of the Many "Thou Shalt NOT ..."
memorandums that the nice Docs & Nurses enjoyed passing out contained a
threat of pending doom for those who *munched* up on the Evil Licorice Stick! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

I can't remember if Licorice was a heart-stopper or a kidney-killer ...
but the End Was Near iffin I took so much as a *nibble*!

I've been tempted to purchase & partake several times ...
but the thought of the fearful Licorice Police *swooping* in with guns drawn
has kept me from indulging.

Maybe I could *sneek* into the L&F to gobble up a stick or two?

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

slick
04-11-2007, 11:37 PM
This bar is just what I need now. Boy, what a week and it's a short week. Don't forget, this Friday is the 13th....always a good day for me.

I'm not much of a licorice fan but I know someone who absolutely loves red twizzlers. ;) I'll take a double BM with a slushie chaser please and thanks.

hm......try and say "slushie chaser" fast three times after a few :D

My goodness Mario, your tongue is all black...... :D

cyber-sibes
04-11-2007, 11:52 PM
m-m-mmm licorice! Remember the ones that were all rolled up like a mini-tape measure, around a little red ball of candy in the middle? Those were g-o-o-d. But my favorite was Good n' Plenty!
I brought some nice licorice tea in honor of National Licorice Day. :cool:
Phred, you can eat all the licorice you want in the bar here with no ill effects!

wombat2u2004
04-12-2007, 02:34 AM
I LOVE liquorice !!!!! I'm going to buy some now....thanx for reminding me.
Wom

RedHedd
04-12-2007, 12:59 PM
m-m-mmm licorice! Remember the ones that were all rolled up like a mini-tape measure, around a little red ball of candy in the middle? That was the kind we got on Sunday - they are so much fun to eat! :p

Karen
04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Yuck, no licorice for me thanks. Phred - you can have mine, after all, at Thursdays, food has no calories, never mind any other deleterious effects. If I get an Easter basket, I save any black jelly beans for my big brother - he actually likes them, I never did! Okay, nowadays, sometimes they are a couple months old by the time he gets them, but hey - jelly beans don't go stale, do they?

sparks19
04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I am not a big licorice fan... but did you know.... that red "licorice" is not actually licorice. Apparently it only comes in black... which is GROSS lol. I actually read a red licorice package once and they refer to it as "red candy" lol

I used to love to bite the ends off of the twizzlers when I was a kid and drink my juice through the hole hahaha

sparks19
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Yuck, no licorice for me thanks. Phred - you can have mine, after all, at Thursdays, food has no calories, never mind any other deleterious effects. If I get an Easter basket, I save any black jelly beans for my big brother - he actually likes them, I never did! Okay, nowadays, sometimes they are a couple months old by the time he gets them, but hey - jelly beans don't go stale, do they?

Hey... if peanut butter actually goes bad (I actually experienced PB that went bad..... it's about as good as it sounds lol) I would venture to say that after YEARS of sitting around.... jelly beans probably go stale... but it probably takes years to happen haha.

Randi
04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
National Licorice Day? I'm all ears! I love licorice, especially Anthon Berg Licorice Fudge. So far, I've only been able to buy it in the Airport or on SAS flights... I'll get some one way or the other and join in. ;)

Seriously, I've heard that licorice is good for something, just don't remember what.

Is there a porch outside the Bar? Then I'll just sit back and enjoy my licorice and listen to some good music. :D

Mario, your tongue is still black - go and eat some cherries!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Phred, I agree with Karen, you can have ALL the licorice you want here at Thursdays! I LOVE red twizzlers, but you can have the black stuff. My mom is a black licorice fanatic. She purposely buys jelly beans with lots of black ones.

Gosh, it seems like forever since I've been at Thursdays. Good to see not much has changed. Think I'll have a green slushie, but make it a weak one. We're about to head off for our first day "at work" again.

We agreed to work at the front desk of the campground in exchange for having our rent and utilities paid in full. It's nice - no money coming in, but none going out either, and it's something to keep us busy. We only have to work 24 hours a week between the two of us - that's 12 hours of week each! I think I can handle that schedule.....and the commute is a 1/4 mile walk from the motorhome to the office - no hour sitting in traffic. Gosh but I love retirement! :D

Hopefully I'll be back later for a full strength slushie. :D

momoffuzzyfaces
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Ewwww! No licorice for me either!!! :p

I'd love some hot chocolate. I heard on the news the other day that hot chocolate is better for you than tea. Has more of those anti-ox thingys! :D

Lady's Human
04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Phred,

Just be careful.

You might be able to sneak INTO the L+F for licorice, but OUT would be a problem. I haven't had time to check and see if Mario got anywhere with the paint. I should go down and check the signs. Maybe THAT's why we haven't seen the bartender around.

Killearn Kitties
04-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Debbie! Lovely to see you. So glad you could drop by for a slushie again. :D
I think I'll join you, right after I have given Phred all my licorice. Never could stand that stuff.

Dorothy39
04-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Ewwww! No licorice for me either!!! :p

I'd love some hot chocolate. I heard on the news the other day that hot chocolate is better for you than tea. Has more of those anti-ox thingys! :D

Then it's a deal Moff? Like, I'll give ya a cup of Hot Chocolate for some Licorice!!

Goodness sakes, why do I like that stuff? My hubby hates black licorice too!!!

Hey Slick ( whistles over the noisy crowd ) don't sweat about Friday be the 13th!! It's all smoke and mirrors :D

Here's to National Licorice Day!!

Cinder & Smoke
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
... but OUT would be a problem.
I haven't had time to check and see if Mario got anywhere with the paint.

Maybe THAT's why we haven't seen the bartender around.

L&F Door <closes> - <KILCK>

:eek:

Well, :rolleyes: ... the Painter did paint ...
* the walls
* the floor
* the ceiling
* the lights
* the windows
Nice color, too ... JET BLACK!

I'll do a *search* to see if there's a Lost BarKeep in here somewhere ...
RICHARD! ...
No sign of him, Boss! :(

Cinder & Smoke
04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
We agreed to work at the front desk of the campground
in exchange for having our rent and utilities paid in full.

We only have to work 24 hours a week between the two of us -
that's 12 hours of week each! I think I can handle that schedule ...
Gosh but I love retirement! :D

Sounds a bit like stealing candy from a baby! :p

Did you ask for Memorial Day Weekend *OFF*??
;)

lbaker
04-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Put me on the YEA LICORICE side. I love the stuff. The best is the small bags of black licorice I get from the German deli up the street from work. Makes Good & Plenty taste like kids stuff ;) This is serious licorice folks! Hi everyone!! So it's Friday already and boy am I glad. An old friend showed up at my door late last night with a 12 week old beagle pup that needed an emergency home ~ temporary I was told ~ yeah, right. Her name is Annie and the other dogs think she belongs to them and told me "thanks mom" :rolleyes: I think I'll put a big bowl of milky bones up here on the bar along side the dried shrimp flakes for any stray dogs or cats that may wander in......

gini
04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Darn, I came here to steal Phred's licorice but I can't find him.

I love licorice - red or black - but have you had the cherry flavor? Usually you can only find strawberry which isn't as good.

I was promised that by the time of our 4th Anniversay (#208 Thursday) that our bartender would return. Guess I will have to go out into the "real" world and make a phone call again.

I'll do that later - think I am going to keep on looking for Phred - Mario??? Why are you giggling??

gini
04-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Put me on the YEA LICORICE side. I love the stuff. The best is the small bags of black licorice I get from the German deli up the street from work. Makes Good & Plenty taste like kids stuff ;) This is serious licorice folks! Hi everyone!! So it's Friday already and boy am I glad. An old friend showed up at my door late last night with a 12 week old beagle pup that needed an emergency home ~ temporary I was told ~ yeah, right. Her name is Annie and the other dogs think she belongs to them and told me "thanks mom" :rolleyes: I think I'll put a big bowl of milky bones up here on the bar along side the dried shrimp flakes for any stray dogs or cats that may wander in......

HA! The minute you name them Laurie - you are dead! Reminds me of Annie and Emma - well, I had to give them a name to take them to the vets didn't I?
Funny thing - they are still here.

Good luck with little Miss beagle Annie - and let me buy you a drink for taking her in!

Killearn Kitties
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
The food really isn't up to scratch this week at all, is it?? Licorice, milky bones and dry shrimp flakes??? :eek: Oh well, I should be losing a bit if weight for the summer anyway.

That's probably what Richard is doing - preparing a FABULOUS buffet for the big party! Hurray!

Edwina's Secretary
04-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi guys....I am exhausted! Spent yesterday crossing the whole United States....dodging snow, sleet, rain and 200 people (including a bunch of kids) aloft with non-functioning lavatories! And I get to do it again next week! (hopeully without the snow and with working sanitary facilities... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

I have some maple candy I might share....but first you have to guess who gave it to me when we met for dinner.... :D :D

Randi
04-13-2007, 12:39 PM
I have some maple candy I might share....but first you have to guess who gave it to me when we met for dinner.... :D :D
I'll go first.... THE MAYOR!! :D Tell us all about it - and pics please!!

Good to see you back!!

Killearn Kitties
04-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Sneaky meetings, eh?? Well we are prepared to overlook that if you share your maple candy. Sounds yummy!

You do have some awfully eventful travelling experiences, Sara! :eek:

gini
04-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Oh Rats, Randi beat me to it - and I had my hand in the air waving and everything.

(sorry about your flights - NOT fun!)

momoffuzzyfaces
04-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Then it's a deal Moff? Like, I'll give ya a cup of Hot Chocolate for some Licorice!!

Goodness sakes, why do I like that stuff? My hubby hates black licorice too!!!

Hey Slick ( whistles over the noisy crowd ) don't sweat about Friday be the 13th!! It's all smoke and mirrors :D

Here's to National Licorice Day!!
It's a deal!!! Specially today!! Rain Rain Rain and for dessert more Rain!!! BUT it's supposed to have snow in the rain tomorrow! :eek:

Um, Dorothy39, I'm appoligizing now because they say all this rain is heading toward you all and going to change to SNOW!!! :eek:

How bout some warm chocolate chip cookies to go with the hot chocolate? :D

Yes, Mario, you can have some if you promise to only dunk your cookies in your own chocolate this time!!! :D

RedHedd
04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Mario??? Why are you giggling??

http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/

:D

Lady's Human
04-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Durn. Phred?

PHRED!

Sigh.......

Guess I have to go find him.

I'm taking the roll of string, a flashlight and a can of day glo orange spray paint.

Be back in a few (I hope).

Gini, PLEASE keep Mario away from the string!

gini
04-13-2007, 05:35 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1795572#post1795572

Mario - quit twanging on that string!!

Cinder & Smoke
04-13-2007, 05:38 PM
<crawl> ~ <crawl> ~ <crawl>

<<BUMP>>
<gasp>

Oh, HI, LH!
Fancy meetin you here inna L&F ...
Next time try turnin the flashlight *ON*! :p

Let's get outta here ... tighten up your guide string and we'll ...

How's Come you just *reeled in* the END that was tied to the Bar?
Hmmmm ... looks like Monkey Teeth Marks on the end ...

**MARIO**!! :mad:

Killearn Kitties
04-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Oh No!!! Do we have two missing in the L&F now?? :eek: What are we going to do folks?

momoffuzzyfaces
04-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Oh No!!! Do we have two missing in the L&F now?? :eek: What are we going to do folks?
Send Mario in to find them!!! He's the one who lost them!!!

Mario, you are a stinker!!!! :D

DrKym
04-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Rain and sleet ....can I get a hot toddie? while I mull things over?

Mario?? why are you carrying a empty can of paint??? Where is everyone? and what are you doing with that string young monkey boy? :eek:

Cinder & Smoke
04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh No!!!
Do we have two missing in the L&F now?? :eek:

What are we going to do folks?

KK organizes the Rescue Partee ...

<knock> <knock>

?? Since when does the Rescue Team <knock> before entering?? :confused:

<HELLOW> ... Are you Chaps In Here??

"CHAPS??" ... Yuppers, we're In Here ... not sure WHERE, but we're here.

<Shine your torch>

TORCH?? All we gotz is the flashlight LH brought ... and a ball of disconnected string ...
Flashlight hurts our eyes.

<We'll send in the Monkey!>

Spare us! ... We're phine ... LH brought a bagfull of Licorice ... we got no worries.
(Pass me a Red this tyme, please ... Thanks, LH.)
<<buRRRp>> ... 'scuze, me!

:D

Lady's Human
04-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Psst, Phred..........How's that song go?

Something about mutilated monkey meat?

We're going to have to make SOME effort to get back to the bar, I'm starting to need a cup of coffee.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-14-2007, 02:50 PM

We're going to have to make SOME effort to get back to the bar, I'm starting to need a cup of coffee.
moff taps foot as Mario peeks out from behind her - Hey, now! No one is going to make any mutilated monkey meat around here!!!!! It's ok Mario! I'll protect you from the crazy man!!! Too much licorice sometimes makes a person go bonkers!!! :p ;)

DrKym
04-14-2007, 04:22 PM

I remember it is served with greasy grimey gopher guts.................and you dont get a spoon! :eek:

momoffuzzyfaces
04-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Don't cry Mario! It's just a stupid song!!! No one will hurt you. Where would the bar be without you? Specially since the bartender has abandoned us?

Let's pop some popcorn and watch movies!
:p :D

Randi
04-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Too much licorice sometimes makes a person go bonkers!!! :p ;)
And too much alcohol does too! Careful Mario, don't try any of this!!

http://www.idkwtf.com/videos/latest-videos/drunk-monkeys

gini
04-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Is it the licorice? Everyone is nuts in here this week!

But just think of the tales that Phred and LH are going to tell when they finally get out of the L/F!!

cyber-sibes
04-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I remember it is served with greasy grimey gopher guts.................and you dont get a spoon! :eek:As I recall, it's also got little birdies bloody feet and it's floating in pink lemonade. ;) Mario, would you like to make that popcorn into popcorn balls tonight? It'll take your mind off that scarey song.

Cinder & Smoke
04-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Hey LH ... did you hear me when I asked for a RED Licorice?

You *PASSED* me one? WHEN?
Never got in MY hand!

You HEARD me eating it? ... I haven't had a piece for 15 minutes!

My hand is NOT "hairy"!
And I did NOT *GRAB* the whole bag of licorice sticks!

And why is YOUR *Hairy Hand* <rubbin> the top of MY head!??? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
LH! ... Did you just *KISS* me on the ear!???
You otta *brush* your teeth!! ... Have you tried Listerine?

WHAT!??
How did WE get the Monkey!???
Oh, For the Love of ______ ...

I dunno ... see if he'll *trade* the Licorice Bag for the can of yellow spray paint.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

gini
04-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Do you hear the racket coming from the L/F??? What are they doing in there?

You don't suppose that Phred and LH got into a fight do you?

Cinder & Smoke
04-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Do you hear the racket coming from the L/F???
What are they doing in there?

You don't suppose that Phred and LH got into a fight do you?

:mad:
Yeah, "we" got inna fight - with the durn MONKEY!
He won't give us back the bagga Licorice! :(

RedHedd
04-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Happy Sunday mornin' everyone. Let's raise a toast of tiny bubbles in honor of Don Ho who passed over the bridge yesterday :(

I'll never forget his show I went to when I was in Hawaii MANY years ago. I got to go backstage and meet him and his band mates and crew. He was such an entertainer and will be missed.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-15-2007, 01:15 PM
:mad:
Yeah, "we" got inna fight - with the durn MONKEY!
He won't give us back the bagga Licorice! :(
NEWS FLASH!!!

WHATEVER IS HAIRY AND EATING YOUR LICORICE IN THE L/F IS NOT MARIO!
HE IS MAKING POPCORN BALLS WITH CIBER-SIBES AND WATCHING MOVIES WITH US!!!

I'M NOT SURE WHAT OTHER HAIRY THINGS MAY BE IN THE LF BUT BIGFOOT IN A TUTU HAS BEEN SIGHTED IN THE AREA!!! :eek:

MAYBE IT'S BIGFOOTS WIFE???? RUMOR HAS IT SHE LOVES TO SMOOCH!!! :D

Cinder & Smoke
04-15-2007, 01:47 PM

WHATEVER IS HAIRY AND EATING YOUR LICORICE
IN THE L/F IS NOT MARIO!

BIGFOOT IN A TUTU HAS BEEN SIGHTED IN THE AREA!!! :eek:

MAYBE IT'S BIGFOOT'S WIFE????
RUMOR HAS IT SHE LOVES TO SMOOCH!!! :D

Oh, just Duckie! :rolleyes:

KK said she was sending in The MONKEY.
Did the Ref authorize a substitution?
:confused:

momoffuzzyfaces
04-15-2007, 02:06 PM
:eek: Who IS the Ref??????

Maybe that sneaky Mairo has figured out how to be in two places at once!!! :D

lbaker
04-15-2007, 04:21 PM
NOW CUT THAT OUT!!! Not everything unseemly is poor, innocent little Marios fault :( Poor little guy, just because he OCCASIONALLY runs off with keys or dips his fingers in cherry juz... I mean, he's just a young lad ~ after all. :rolleyes:

gini
04-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe it's the monkey's uncle!

Killearn Kitties
04-16-2007, 04:56 AM
It wouldn't be the orc would it? He hasn't been seen for a while. Be careful in there boys!

Lady's Human
04-16-2007, 11:17 AM
(thump.....bump......)

HEY Phred!

One exit to the L+F comes out at Texas Motor Speedway!

Now if I could just find my way back to the bar.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Maybe it's the monkey's uncle!
:eek: Isn't Richard Mario's adopted uncle?

Oh, my gosh!!!! You guys found RICHARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D :D

Cinder & Smoke
04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
One exit to the L+F comes out at Texas Motor Speedway!

:p
I wish you'd told me that BEFORE the race was over! :rolleyes:

Where's the Licorice Bag?
All I can find is lil *pieces* of Reds & Blacks - stuck in the black paint! :(

Could RICHARD be confused for Big Foot?

momoffuzzyfaces
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM

Could RICHARD be confused for Big Foot?
It depends on when he had his last hair cut!! :D ;)

lbaker
04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
:D :D Didn't E's secy give him one a few months ago?? Sara with scissors standing over Richard ~ now THAT'S something I would have paid to see ;) :rolleyes:

DrKym
04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
:D :D Didn't E's secy give him one a few months ago?? Sara with scissors standing over Richard ~ now THAT'S something I would have paid to see ;) :rolleyes:
ROFLMAO

cassiesmom
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Happy Sunday mornin' everyone. Let's raise a toast of tiny bubbles in honor of Don Ho who passed over the bridge yesterday :(

I'll never forget his show I went to when I was in Hawaii MANY years ago. I got to go backstage and meet him and his band mates and crew. He was such an entertainer and will be missed.

Godspeed Don Ho... tiny bubbles in the wine... make me happy, make me feel fine... thank you for introducing Hawaiian music to the world.

Lady's Human
04-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Tony Stewart spun in front of our seats twice. 'twas a beautiful thing.

Edwina's Secretary
04-16-2007, 04:44 PM

Pay up :D :D :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p3880f182f87127c874cfba83aee09976/eddd574a.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Tony Stewart spun in front of our seats twice.
'twas a beautiful thing.

OMG!

Summa The Girls are gonna be *tweeked* over THAT wise crack!

You better "lay low" here in the L&F before they come lookin for ya!