PDA

View Full Version : My name was almost.............

kuhio98
04-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Missy's name thread HERE (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=125300) started a family conversation. We asked our Mom if they had planned to name us something else before we were born. Yeppers! All of us had different names, but when we were born they didn't seem to fit.

My name is Lisa -- it was supposed to be Robin.
My sister's name is Carmen -- it was supposed to be Bronwyn (we lived in Scotland at the time)
My brother's name is Donald -- it was supposed to be Brian

How about you? Post your "almost" name here.

Karen
04-11-2007, 06:49 PM
My name was going to be Donald Robert Junior if I was a boy. It was almost Kristine, but Dad remembered his Aunt Christine who was somewhat biased against anyone who wasn't a Swedish immigrant to America ... so Karen I am!

angelbow20
04-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Well If I was a boy my mother was going to name me Adam... and When I was born they had no idea what to name me because the doctors thought I was going to be a boy and so did my parents then!!! Big Suprise when I came out huh!!! so since it was close to xmas time and since my dad named my older sister it was up to my mom to pick out and name so she decided on Angel.

animal_rescue
04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I was suppose to be a boy and when I "was" a boy for that short time my mom wanted to name me.... Buck. :eek:

But when she found out I was a girl she had two other names for me that I can remember, Charlotte(Charlie) and Raquelle. I don't know if she had any others though. But no I'm Megan now.

Cincy'sMom
04-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure if I was ever supposed to be anything differnt, but my sister's name definetaly changed. Up to the time my parent's left for the hospital, it was a girl, she would be Erin Nicole. The next morning, I was told I had a new baby sister, Christina Sue. Evidently, she didn't look like an Erin Nicole!

buckner
04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't think I was "almost" anything. I don't think it took my parents long to decide on Sara Louise once they found out I was to be a girl.

My brother's name is Ryan Nelson (Nelson was after my dad's middle name). The first name is 4 letters and the middle name is 6 letters, and both names have 2 syllables. Well, my parents are HUGE math people, and they do a lot of things that revolve around numbers. So, I had to have a first name that had 4 letters and a middle name that was 6 letters, and both 2 syllables. That was pretty much the criteria. Oh, and neither of my names could end in "ner" or "nor" and neither could start with B, or have a "K", "CH", or "CK" sound.

My mom immediately decided to name me according to one of my grandmother's names. It was either Anna or Louise (her name was Anna Louise). Because my dad knew her as Louise, he decided on Louise. Something about it sounding "stronger".

So Louise was my middle name. Now it was time to pair up a first name that sounded good with my last name and with the combination of my middle and last. Cara was out of the question, so they thought about Tara. My dad IMMEDIATELY botched that idea. I won't explain the reasons, as I don't want to offend anyone whose name is Tara. So, somehow, I became Sara Louise.

I love my name, and I wouldn't want any other name.

And it turns out Sara means Princess. That's what my daddy calls me.

Roxyluvsme13
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, my grandma wanted me to be named Barbara Alicia, but my mom didn't like that. And if I was going to be a boy, I was going to be Devin Thomas.

But I got my name of Barbara Briana. I go by my middle name, obviously, XD.

Anita Cholaine
04-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I was almost a Zulema. My dad really liked that name, so I was going to be a Zulema Natali or a Natali Zulema. Thank God I ended up being a Natali Luciana :p

jenluckenbach
04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I am Jennifer with no middle name. The other choice for my first name was Dierdra (OH MY! I don't even know how to spell it!!!) And they also considered adding Rebecca for my middle name but opted not to give me one at all.

Freedom
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I was "Baby Girl" until I was 6 months old. My mom was quite ill when I was born and remained in hospital 4 months. My grandparents took care of me.

As my Dad's family is Sicilian, tey have a structure for names. First boy after the father's father; first girl after the father's mother. Second boy after the mother's father; second girl after the mother's mother. And so forth. That's why we see the same names generations after generation, and first cousins with the same names!

So I was supposed to be "Isabella." When my mom got home and heard this she said NO WAY. It took another 2 months, and my grandaprents getting nervous that I hadn't been either baptized or christened yet, to name me. Mom always told me she had no idea what made her say Sandra.

Both my mom and my dad had brothers named Francis, so that was my middle name.

And then Alberta got tacked on; it was my grandmother's (dad's mom) first name in Sicily. She changed it to Isabella when she came through Ellis Island. Dad never knew her real name until he was 14 and she was going to her citizenship!

So I finally, at 6 months old, got named: Sandra Frances Alberta.

dukedogsmom
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
My poor mom's name is Dorcas June and when she was in school, she said she'd name her daughter Dorcas July. I'm so thankfull she didn't! And yes, she goes by June.

luvofallhorses
04-11-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't know what my name was supposed to be but I know my middle name was going to be Belle and it's Leigh. I would rather have it be Krista Belle because it's prettier IMO!

Chilli
04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I was supposed to be a little boy. =D
Cory Micheal had been my original name, but at the last minute, I suppose that I decided to be a girl, and as a result: Courtney Michelle. I asked mum, and she had no other "girl" name for me aside from that. It just popped in her head and it stuck.

Pembroke_Corgi
04-11-2007, 09:03 PM
When my mom was pregnant with me, they didn't know what sex I was, so she and my older brother just called me "cookie." When I was born, my parents could only agree on "Jill" but I guess I was almost "Tara"- pronounced "Tah-ra."

catnapper
04-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I was supposed to be Deborah. Mom didn't even know how to spell Kimberly.... she had written Kimberlee and the nurse told her she spelled it wrong. I always thought "lee" was cooler than "ly" but now am very glad the nurse spoke up! LOL

slick
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
After I was born my Mom was thinking of naming me Katherine, but she named me Victoria after Queen Victoria. She wanted to give me a name of dignity.

Now, excuse me while I wipe my nose on my sleeve and scratch my butt... :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
My mom was going to name me after her mother, but instead named me after her grandmother. I'm extremely happy about this. I'd much rather be Jennie Lynn than..... OLIVE Lynn. No offense to any Olives out there, but I don't care for it!!

Sophist
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
My mom was a professional at the last-minute name change, LOL!

I was Joni (pronounced Joanie) Nicole. Apparently, in the hospital, my mom had this moment where she just sat there wanting more than anything for me to always have as much love in my life as she felt at that moment, so sshe sent my dad the forty miles back home for her baby name book.

She finally settled on Jessica (Wealthy) and Amy (love or beloved) because she thought it would be like a lucky charm that would always keep me wealthy in love.

Sadly, I have always hated the name, ever since I was a little girl. :p :rolleyes:

Much too common and feminine for me.

Reachoutrescue
04-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I was also believed to be a boy...so my folks where going to name me Anthony Victor. Not sure why Anthony, but Victor was my Nonno's (grandpa in italian) name. When I came out a girl, they were a bit confused and I was nameless for a few hours. My dad came up with Tracy Victoria. Not sure why Tracy, but the Victoria thing makes sense.

Queen of Poop
04-11-2007, 11:27 PM
My dad took my mom to the hospital in Winnipeg to have me during a blizzard. I almost ended up being called Blizzard or Stormy. They settled on GAyLE. A big wind with a y in the middle. Thank goodness!!!

Lobodeb
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I was supposed to be a boy. If I was, my name would have been Anthony Michael (or the other way around, I can't remember). My mom wanted to name me Renee, if I was a girl, but I had a cousin born earlier that year that my aunt named Renee. My mom didn't want 2 of us with the same name. I don't know how they came up with Deborah, though. I think my mom said she got it out of a book. :rolleyes:

Then, when I started school, my dad asked me to think about how I wanted to spell my name. He said there were lots of different ways to spell it and showed me a few. He always encouraged me to be different. Hence, the Debby with a y.

Riptide
04-11-2007, 11:42 PM
If I were a boy, my name would have been Jordan xD

Twisterdog
04-11-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't know what I would have been named if I would have been a boy. But my dad wanted to name me, for a girl, Kizzie. I'm serious ... Kizzie. Is that even a name??? My mother said, "Over my dead body!" so they fought and fought about it. One day my mom had gotten a box of apples to make apple butter with, and the brand on the side was "Shanna Valley Apples". My mom, angry, says, "How about Shanna?" and my dad, angrier, says, "Fine!" ... still hoping in his heart for Kizzie, I'm sure.

Thank GOODNESS for apples!!!

I was set on the name Dylan for my son from the beginning, although I thought briefly about Dane.

If he would have been a girl, I was going to name him Logan.

Glacier
04-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Had my father had his way, my name would be Heidi. I am so not a Heidi! Instead, they decided to let my ticked off, "I don't want a sibling", 10 year old half brother name me. I don't have a middle name. My full first name is TamaraLyn, no hyphen, no space, yes that's a capital L and it's supposed to be one! I swear Lance stuck the capital L in the middle of my name just to make my life more difficult. I have had to produce my birth certificate on more than one occasion just to prove I know how to spell my own name! That is what happens when you let the angry boy name the sister he doesn't want(and still doesn't particularly like)

My younger sister's name is Patricia. Had she been a boy, she would have been Bart. *she was born long before the Simpsons. My Mom still loves that name!

Sevaede
04-12-2007, 03:38 AM
I do not know if I was thought to be a boy. I think my mom was one of the folks who just like to be surprised. :)

If I had been born a boy... My first name would be Axel.

Killearn Kitties
04-12-2007, 04:05 AM
I was going to be Maureen, until my Mum read a book while she was expecting me about a baby, called Karen, born very prematurely, that still survived. She was inspired by the story and liked the name, so Karen I became.

I have always known plenty of Karen's, but it can't have been too common a name at the time, judging by my Dad's Mother's reaction of "Karen? What kind of a name is that?!" :D

wombat2u2004
04-12-2007, 04:44 AM
I was going to be Maureen, until my Mum read a book while she was expecting me about a baby, called Karen, born very prematurely, that still survived. She was inspired by the story and liked the name, so Karen I became.

I have always known plenty of Karen's, but it can't have been too common a name at the time, judging by my Dad's Mother's reaction of "Karen? What kind of a name is that?!" :D

Hmmmmmm....Karen is a good name. My partners name is Karen, and she is 53 years old....so it has been around for a while....LOL.....also I have known lot's of Karens in my time, so it's not as rare as one would think. I also think those Norse names are a bit more popular amongst the Brits.
I have three daughters....Christie, Cherylea and April....April can't stand her name....LOL....oh well....two out of threee ain't bad....eh ???
Wom

wombat2u2004
04-12-2007, 04:50 AM
My father chose my name as John, because he was not allowed to have input into my middle name.....which my mother was obliged to do because of her family......so my middle name is Lister, to suit my mothers very historic family.
Wom

dogzr#1
04-12-2007, 06:55 AM
My mom wanted to name me Mary Elizabeth but my dad said he wanted to name me since she named my brothers before me. So my dad chose to name me Monica. I kind of like Mary Elizabeth and would have liked to go by the name Elizabeth for short. But I think I look like a Monica instead. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
04-12-2007, 08:13 AM
My mom wanted to name me Heidi, but my dad hated it and it didn't go at all with our last name. My mom gave up naming me and let my dad do it- he named me Kari. If I were born a boy I would have been Timothy.

My husband's parents had the hardest time naming their 3 kids. They had no names picked out for Justin until after he was born and they were asked what name was going on his birth certificate, they quickly picked the name Justin. With their second kid they decided on the name Melissa, they put it on the birth certificate and brought her home from the hospital- a few weeks later they decided to have her name changed to Lindsay. Lastly Justin's youngest sister came home with no name! Her birth certificate simply said "Baby Girl" as the name. It took them a little while before they finally decided to name her Diana.

Laura's Babies
04-12-2007, 08:27 AM
My name was picked out before I was born... Laura Lynn... I am sure if I had been a boy I would have been named Gordon Andrew because that is the name my baby brother got, named after both his grandpa's. I was named after a song....

Miss Z
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I don't think my parents ever planned on me being a boy so never really decided on a boy's name, good job really! :p My middle name was decided from the start, Vivienne, after my aunt who died from a leukaemia-type disease a few years before I was born. My mum originally loved the name Lydia and still does now, although the name Lydia Vivienne iwas a bit of a mouthful! One day my parents were talking with my grandparents about the Queen's granddaughter, Zara Philips, who was a little girl at the time. From there, my dad decided he liked the name Zara, and so I became Zara Vivienne. I wonder if it's coincidence that both myself and the woman I was sort of named after both turned out as horse-fanatics! :D

sumbirdy
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
If I was a boy they would of named me Houston Don.
They had two names picked out for a girl, Dad liked Petunia :rolleyes: and Mom liked Donna, but somehow I got the name Summer Dawn which I like better

pitc9
04-12-2007, 09:50 AM
My poor mom's name is Dorcas June and when she was in school, she said she'd name her daughter Dorcas July. I'm so thankfull she didn't! And yes, she goes by June.

That would have been kind of cute Val! ;)

Then the next one would have been Dorcas August!! :p

I was my parents last chance for a boy. (I have 3 older sisters)
My parents were so sure I was a boy they didn't even have girl names picked out! I was going to be Robert (after my dad and grandfather that was killed in a car accident before I was born)
So when they found out I was a girl, my mom wanted to name me Roberta so they could call me Bobbie. I think that would have been cute, Bobbie that is.... not so much Roberta :o
And it would have been so fitting because I'm a daddy's girl through and through! But my mom was out voted when my dad thought to name me after his mother Angela. I'm not a second though because her middle name is Elizabeth and mine is Marie.
Funny think is that in school, I was friends with 2 other Angela Marie's!!

kuhio98
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I was supposed to be Deborah. Mom didn't even know how to spell Kimberly.... she had written Kimberlee and the nurse told her she spelled it wrong. I always thought "lee" was cooler than "ly" but now am very glad the nurse spoke up! LOLWell, at least the nurse was helpful. When Helen (Bobcat's ex) gave birth to the twins, she was all drugged up because it had been a difficult, emergency delivery. The nurse asked her the babie's names. She said Ron and Robin. The nurse asked her how to spell Robin. Helen responded R-o b zzzzzzzzzz b-i-n (passed out for a moment during the spelling). The stupid nurse put Robbin on the birth certificate, so that's how it is to this day.

CathyBogart
04-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I was supposed to be "Alexander" right up until the time I was born! oops!

My sister didn't have a name at all when she was born, and my parents wound up naming her after the doctor who delivered her.

CountryWolf07
04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
My name is Rachel; my name was going to be Jacqueline.

Whisk_Luva
04-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Well I was almost called Amy and Emma, but my parents decided they liked Eleanor the best! :D

Husky_mom
04-12-2007, 02:38 PM
funny stories........
my parents didn´t know what to name until I was born....... so.... they hears some bells ringing and thought what a nice sound let´s name her is - a - bell (nice :rolleyes: ) so I´m a bell......... :D

just kidding...... that what i always say to make it funnier...... my grandmas name was Maria Isabel, my mothers name is Isabel Adriana, so my name is Isabel Adriana..... yes I´m a second, but wait it gets better.....I have two cousins older than me also named Adriana.....one on each parent side :eek: ....

obviosly I go for Isabel.....my mom and my cousins go for Adriana.....

as a joke I thought naming my baby girl Isabel IV....yes, in roman numbers....

my mom told me she thought of naming me Sofía..... no middle name.....

if I had a girl I wanted the name Samantha Cheyenne until I knew it was a boy so I had thought about Isaac Alexander or Adrian Isaac....(hubby´s name is Isaac, gotta keep a track not only last name huh?)
but he finally got Joshua Isaac......and he has a "call" name....Bobby... don´t ask me where it came from but it sure has stuck.......for good..... :D

sparks19
04-12-2007, 02:41 PM
My mom wanted to name me Racheal. My dad wanted to name me Brian (lol that is his name and he was certain I was gonna be a boy lol)

But when my mom went into labour the last song she heard was Tanya Tucker... the rest is history :D

Suki Wingy
04-12-2007, 03:45 PM
If I was I boy I would have no name for the first few hours, they had none picked out. My mom says I'm named after the book legth poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and my dad says he read my name off a gravestone while taking pictures there and thought it was pretty!

Pam
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I was going to be Joan Lynn. When my dad was visiting my mom in her hospital room after I was born he told her he had a better idea. He said "how about Pamela for her first name and Louise after your (my mom's) middle name. So I became Pamela Louise. I must admit there were many times through grade school that I wished I was Joan Lynn. Pamela was a very RARE name back then and I felt a little odd. It sort of grew on me as I got older, but I definitely prefer Pam. :)

I was planning to name my daughter Kelly. You all may know her (Christiansmommy) as Robyn. Right before her birth my hubby said that the name Kelly reminded him of a bar he passed (Kelly's Bar and Grill) and he wasn't really fond of it at all any more. One day I was watching Captain Noah with my son (it was a children's program in the Philadelphia area). Kids would send their drawings in to him and he would show them on the air and comment on them. One little girl, who sent in a drawing, was named Robin. I thought to myself....."I like that name." I presented it to hubby that night and he did too. We only changed the spelling a bit, changing the *I* to a *Y* and named her Robyn. :)

JuniorxMyxLove
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Haha. Well...

My name is Melanie...If I was a boy, I was supposed to be Joel or Everett(oh god I'm glad I wasn't a boy!!!!) I dunno what it was sposed to be for a girl...maybe Melanie?

My SISTER!! HAHA!!! My dad seriously wanted to name her Scooter! But of course...my mom said NO. She too was supposed to be named Everett or Joel is she were a he. I think she was supposed to be named Michelle if she were a girl...but thats her middle name.

My dad is wierd. Haha.

Oh, and if you were wondering, my grandpa's name is Everett. But my grandma calls him Bud or just "hey you!" haha.