PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin recall

Lizzie
04-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I felt so confident that my cats were safe because I feed Royal Canin, but this just came on the VetPet Digest:

ROYAL CANIN CANADA PROACTIVELY RECALLS FELINE DISSOLUTION FORMULA (canned)

Guelph, Ontario -- As a result of new information received from Menu Foods late yesterday, Royal Canin Canada is recalling Medi-Cal Feline Dissolution Formula canned diet because one production lot (January 08 2009) contains contaminated wheat gluten. This product is produced for Royal Canin Canada by the Menu Foods Ontario plant. Medi-Cal Feline Dissolution Formula canned diet is Royal Canin’s only wheat gluten-containing canned product. This is the only Royal Canin or Medi-Cal product being recalled.

Royal Canin Canada has informed all Canadian veterinary clinics that Medi-Cal Feline Dissolution Formula canned diet, prescribed exclusively through veterinary clinics, should not be fed to cats. Although only one production lot was affected, to eliminate any risks to cats, Royal Canin Canada is proactively advising veterinary clinics to remove all of the Feline Dissolution Formula canned date codes.
This product is not available through retail outlets.

“After being repeatedly reassured by Menu Foods, as reinforced by FDA public statements, that none of the contaminated wheat gluten had made its way to Canada, we were completely shocked to learn yesterday that this was not the case, and that this wheat gluten had been used in the Feline Dissolution Formula canned product” said Xavier Unkovic, CEO Royal Canin Canada. “Once Melamine was identified as a contaminant by the FDA on March 30, we immediately implemented a screening program for raw materials and finished goods including Feline Dissolution. Feline Dissolution canned product in our warehouse tested negative for Melamine. Unfortunately, the one code lot of Feline Dissolution Formula canned that was affected had already been shipped.”

“As animal health professionals and pet owners ourselves, we know this recall will cause concern for our customers as it has for our entire Medi-Cal/Royal Canin team,” said Dr. Brent Matthew, Veterinary Division Director. “We deeply regret that this has occurred.”

To date, Medi-Cal/Royal Canin Veterinary Diet has not received any reports of illness in cats eating this product. Royal Canin Canada has advised veterinary clinics that it will provide financial reimbursement for veterinary costs to ensure the health and wellbeing of cats eating Feline Dissolution formula canned diets. Medi-Cal / Royal Canin’s veterinary experts and representatives are available to support the veterinary clinics and pet owners.

Pet owners who are feeding the recalled product to their cats and have questions related to the recall should contact Royal Canin at
1-866-494-6844.

DrKym
04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
OH NO!
This just keeps getting worse :(

catmandu
04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
God tell me when will this all end.

Laura's Babies
04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
When Mike called them, they told him they made all their own food in their own plants, that they did not contract their foods out! LIER! LIER! PANTS ON FIRE!!!

God, when will this end and we can feel safe feeding our babies?

Laura's Babies
04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
In fact, Mike just reminded me that on their OWN web sight, Royal Canin even said they had NO dealings with Menu Foods. I went back to try to find it and it isn't there anymore. He plans to call them tomorrow and ask why they lied to him....

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Oh great, another food to add to the extensive list. It just seems to be getting worse and worse every day. I hope that it will stop now, so many precious lives were taken away. :(

catnapper
04-11-2007, 06:29 AM
OMG OMG OMG..... Pouncer was on that! Brat cat was smart though and refused to eat it. Thankfully he refused to eat it.

He's eating the dry version of it now. Now I'm gonna worry til the vet opens at 9:30. :(

Laura's Babies
04-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Awe geez Kim and he has a problem already with blockages, don't he? How much of it did he eat before he refused to eat it anymore?

kittycats_delight
04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
WOW...I am absolutely stunned. I have just emailed the head office of Royal Canin in France. I have not heard anything about this recall her in Europe. But of course seeing my girls exclusively eat Royal Canin then I want to be sure. They don't eat the wet that was mentioned. But either way I want to be sure.

Does anyone know what type Tracey's kitties eat. I know they are on Royal Canin dry and wet I just hope it is not this type.

((((HUGS)))) to everyone. Prayers that all our babies stay safe from this and for all those that have been taken because of this.

Michelle & the girls