PDA

View Full Version : Urr..what breed of dog?

slleipnir
07-08-2002, 03:19 PM
I couldn't help thinking about sometime down the road when I do get a new pup..I can't decide on a breed I'd want. I think I've narrowed it down to Lab, Golden, or Border Collie. I want a medium sized dog, totally loyal, affectionate, smart, and overall just a good compainion to have around. Also, one that gets along with other dogs. I should be thankful dad let me get Jo, but I can't help wanting another dog. Can any of you persuade me to a good breed? I love labs, their so sweet and loyal, and goldens (i dont know much about) but they look like such lovely dogs, and Border collies, are very smart, loving dogs..I can't decide. I think my dad would like a BC. I think its funny how he says he doesn't like dogs, but you can tell when he talks to them he loves them..mwahha that goes on myside.. >:D I guess thats kinda of mean of me to be thinking of a new pup when I already got 2 of the best..im selfish I guess :o wait..who can resist an adorable pup? So, what to you think would be a good breed? I know I should go for which ever I fall in love with, but im considering talking to breeders for a specific breed.

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Goldens are all of those things :D :D :D :D

I also love lab-mixes!!! You may want to look at your local shelter. There are tons of wonderful pups out there :)

Kfamr
07-08-2002, 07:17 PM
All I have to say is... GO TO THE SHELTER.

mugsy
07-08-2002, 09:57 PM
I second KayAnn's response. There are so many needy animals there that might die if someone doesn't adopt them. My favorites just happen to be mutts. They are far healthier than full breed because all the genetic defects are gone in them because the defects are recessive genes. I actually think that most mutts are prettier than a lot of full breeds too. Sox, our Aussie/German Shepard mix is one of the prettiest dogs I've seen. I would also recommend an adult dog simply because a lot of the hassles are gone. Puppies are REALLY cute, but I like older dogs myself (just a personal preference). I love to cuddle them, but I also like to give them back (just like 2 legged babies) and say...here Mom, you can deal with them!! lol

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

slleipnir
07-08-2002, 10:03 PM
Mugsy: I agree. I do plan on getting a mutt, but I do want a lab, golden, or a BC. If I fall in love with something else, then thats what I'll get. I'm just saying I want oneo f them, they can still be mutts. I also want a pup. I like the responsibility of training it, and caring for it. I want a pup so I can watch it grow up. We have one shelter here, and it doesnt have many dogs in it, more then 90% are usually pups. :]

mugsy
07-08-2002, 10:21 PM
That works for me!!! Usually when you walk in the shelter, the right one finds you somehow and you walk out with something totally different than you walked in wanting!! lol

If you want medium dog size though and you're set on one of those 3 I would go with the Border since the other 2 get pretty large most of the time.

I forgot, you're LOTS younger than I am with LOTS more energy...you're the puppy kind of girl!!! lol

Good luck!!

aly
07-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I second KayAnn's response.

I third it :D

Sox, our Aussie/German Shepard mix is one of the prettiest dogs I've seen.

YES - she is beautiful and you better watch out cause I'm gonna steal her!

I would also recommend an adult dog simply because a lot of the hassles are gone.

Also, adult dogs are SO much more grateful to you for adopting them. Puppies don't really know, but a rescued adult dog looks at you with such adoration, gratitude, and love that you just can't get anywhere else. I adopted Lolly last year at 6 years of age and she is the most devoted companion in the world.

Good luck!!

slleipnir
07-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Mugsy: I totally agree. When I got Jo, I intended to get a diff dog, but I say her jump up, so I need to 'just hold her' then I HAD to have her, I feel in love with her the min I held her! I'll end up doing the same, but I'd like to see everyones opionion on the breeds. What I ment by med sized dog was, not a toy, but not a great dane. (dad doesnt like them :[) Thanks for you comments :D

Aly: I agree with the shelter thing, and thats definitily where im going 1st. But I plan to get a dog I click with..as stupid as that might sound. I know adults are more grateful, but I think think I'll get a pup. A lot of people would like older dogs if they have busy jobs and dont have time to train the pup, plus, there isnt many adult dogs at all in the shelter. I'd like to train the pup myself, and learn the things I missed with Jo. I hope if I keep trying i'll get to be a good trainer sometime. I learned lots of things with Jo not to do with a new pup. Mind you, if i 'click' with an older dog, then thats the one for me :] I just wanted ppls opinions on the breeds. I'm sure a lot of you have fav breeds you've always wanted. Or you'll stick with one breed, cause you love them. I just totally love these breeds (I love them all but anyway) and not sure what I'll do. All I know is I look forward to looking for one, and picking the perfect one out, and caring for it :]

Aspen and Misty
07-08-2002, 11:39 PM
Get a sheltie. No I'm just kidding. Well I must say that I LOVE Goldens. There three across the street who are just lovely. They are sweet and loyal, and even though they have a bad past, they turned otu to be the sweetest dogs ever (there old owner abused them). I like labs, but not a fat lab. THey must be skinny, so if you get a lab walk it. (and thats an order ;) ) I like Border Collies but they are to smart for me. Give them one day and I would be stupider then them LOL. Aussie's are a great breed. I own a half Aussie dog (Chewy) and love Aussies. I love there smile. I think whatever breed you get you will eb happy with.

aly
07-09-2002, 03:10 AM
I agree that you should go with whatever your heart tells you. You will know when you look into his or her eyes.

slleipnir
07-09-2002, 08:57 AM
I like labs, but not a fat lab. THey must be skinny, so if you get a lab walk it

LOL I have a labbie now too. Shes not fat..well..I think shes not anyway, dad says she is. Shes NOT though..lmao. Anyway, of course I'd walk it ;D

Thanks for your comments ppl :]