PDA

View Full Version : All my cats May have kidney failure from recalled food

catfamily
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I usually use natural Balance food for my cats and it really IS the best food I myself think anyway.Natural Balance Is NOT recalled Food.(Just to let you know...I still LOVE Natural Balance)
But I DID use the recalled food (Hannaford brand ,Walmart brand,Iams pouch ,and one other I cannot remember.Or 2 others.I have to look at the slip...in the past(Of Course NOT knowing it was BAD).
The only reaon I used it was because I had Mia...that was skin and bones...and she was tough to feed...so I bought her anything she would eat!
The cats could smell it in the mudroom where she was seperated for awhile so I gave them some every once in a while.
Me and Mike are so distraught over this.
But if you remember..I posted Lucy having some sort of a seizure...the way I can explain it is..her eyes looked black she started gazing aroung moving her arms around slowly like a slow motion picture...for about 2 minutes.She did not respond to me.She seemed weak for a few hours after then seemed fine.
She's been drinking EXTRA water that past couple months and seemed exhausted also.
I brought her in today to be tested.
Her pee has very little protein so that was good but:
Her BUN is High and her CREA is high.
I'm bringing in Marshall and Colby tomorrow.
Next week...we'll do more starting with Tucker,Sara and whoever I think had most of that *tainted* food...that I so stupidly gave them for a *treat*.
I always stoodby and STILL stand by Natural Balance Food...so hopefully the small amout of *other* food I gave them will not make them as bad as my newest cat Mia who wasd Already dying of Kidney failure.
I am more worried for the other cats...not Mia.
Mia was dying (It was obvious..plus I tested her)when I scooped her out of the shelter so that she could die in a home of love and comfort.

Karen
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Yikes! Keep us posted!!! They'll be in our prayers.

Zippy
04-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh no.I am will keep your furbabies and you in my prayers.

emily_the_spoiled
04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry to read this. Please remember to save all the vet bills because some of the companies are providing reimbursement for the treatment costs.

catmandu
04-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Thats absolutley terrible and we are praying that your Dear Friends are all right, especially Little Mia.
They were saying on the news that this is a lot worse than the Pet Food Companies were revealing. We are praying that your Cats will be all right.
There really have not been a lot of sick Pets in Canada so far.

KitCat
04-10-2007, 03:33 PM
I feel so bad for the poor pets and their people who have had to deal with this!

jenluckenbach
04-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Many prayers that ALL of your cats can handle the small amounts they may have ingested of bad food. :(

elizabethann
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
OMG! That's so awful! I'm sending you a cyber hug.

carole
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh my gosh you poor thing having to deal with all of this,none of it your fault, please don't feel bad,you were not to know, luckily in NZ we were not affected, but i watched the news and felt so bad for everyone who was, this is indeed tragic, i sure hope the kitties will be ok,positive vibes being sent your way for an all clear for your precious furbabies, my thoughts and good wishes are with you.

phesina
04-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Prayers for your sweet babies, and all the others.

Pat

Prairie Purrs
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Oh, I hope everyone is OK! And please don't blame yourself--there's certainly no way any of us could have known that so many different brands of food could become poisoned!

I know all too well what you're going through. One of my kitties went into complete kidney failure--and she had eaten some of the suspect food--but the vets still can't say whether the food was to blame. None of the others have shown suspicious symptoms.

Keep in mind that food purchased during the recall period wasn't necessary tainted. It's certainly possible to have bought food during that time that was produced before the bad wheat gluten was brought in.

I hope everything turns out well for all of your beautiful cats.

Freedom
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Prayers for all of your cats. Getting them to the vet for treatment as fast as you are doing is a big step in helping them pull through this. Good for you!

lvpets2002
04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
:( Oh No = I would just be in rage/raggs about now.. Huggss & Prayers sent to you.. Keep us posted..

Lizzie
04-10-2007, 05:14 PM
The cats that have been taken in for early symptoms seem to have pulled through okay, though at high expense, and I dearly hope that Mia will be one of those that can get through this. Positive thoughts sent your way that the others test negative.

Don't feel bad, although I know we can't help ourselves. I feed Fancy Feast to Ginger because that is what she will eat, and that's all you really focus on for a very old cat. I gave her left-overs, and there have been many, to the teenage cats and they love it. As you said, it was a treat that they love and you don't see any harm in it because it isn't their main food. There have been no recalls on Fancy Feast so far, but it's the kind of food that might be in a recall - so now Ginger's left-overs are tossed.

cassiesmom
04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh no.I am will keep your furbabies and you in my prayers.

same here
my brother's family lost their young cat to contaminated food

catfamily
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
The cats that have been taken in for early symptoms seem to have pulled through okay, though at high expense, and I dearly hope that Mia will be one of those that can get through this. Positive thoughts sent your way that the others test negative.

Don't feel bad, although I know we can't help ourselves. I feed Fancy Feast to Ginger because that is what she will eat, and that's all you really focus on for a very old cat. I gave her left-overs, and there have been many, to the teenage cats and they love it. As you said, it was a treat that they love and you don't see any harm in it because it isn't their main food. There have been no recalls on Fancy Feast so far, but it's the kind of food that might be in a recall - so now Ginger's left-overs are tossed.
Fancy feast has a food with weat gluten in it,that will hurt your cats.Not all their flavors.Just some.
But Mia was already sick with Kidney Failure when I got her out of the shelter.
It's Lucy that was NOT sick and my others.Lucy has it now and I will slowly check everyone else.Money is tight.VERY tight.Mike will get a job to get these blood works done.
But Mia...is already dying of it from old age and bad diet,also she was dehydrated and skin and bones.She was only at the shelter over night.She was abandoned in a home nearby.I just scooped her up because she looked so horrible.
She's gained 4 pounds,But has a severe kidney bacterial infection on top of her kidney failure.So I'm trying to clear that up,but the meds aren't working to well.
I'm mostly worried for Lucy...then the others.They are all young.
Mia is my only old cat.(Plus...she was sick before she came here).
I am still giving Mia meds and getting follow up bloodwork.

Lizzie
04-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry that I put in Mia's name instead of Lucy's, my fault. Bloodwork is very expensive, and you have so many to be tested. And then there is the treatment. It's awful to think of all the people who are spending money they barely have because businesses want to do things as cheaply as possible.

catfamily
04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry that I put in Mia's name instead of Lucy's, my fault. Bloodwork is very expensive, and you have so many to be tested. And then there is the treatment. It's awful to think of all the people who are spending money they barely have because businesses want to do things as cheaply as possible.
It's funny because when I saw Mia's name I said to myself...I bet she meant to type Lucy instead.
No problem...if you only KNEW the typing mistakes I make you'd laugh.I get so embarassed by my typing skills.Plus I am always in a rush with my ONE finger typer.LOL
So I always type the wrong thing.

Thanks Everyone for your support and kind words.It's been a tough day for me,Mike and I'm sure Lucy.
I also want to send my condolences out for everyone's pets that have been lost by eating that food.It's a shame this world is so filled with such hateful ,angry people , to be mean enough to poison animals.

Laura's Babies
04-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Make doubley sure you keep ALL vet records on ALL kitties... I think they should have to pay for the ones you think may have been effected also! I think anybody that has fed them ANY of their food, and feeling unsure, rather on the recall list or not, that they should pay for the test to bring US peace of mind. THEY caused this and the should pay for us to get that peace of mind.... I say that, not being spiteful but it would only be the right thing to do.

I remember when your baby had that seizure, I was home when that happened.

momcat
04-10-2007, 06:47 PM
My prayers are being prayed for all of your furbabies to test out okay with the vet. Special prayers are being offered for Mia.
One of my co-workers lost her cat May-May because of tainted food. Sadly, she blames herself for giving May-May the bad food even though she had no idea that there was a problem.
We love our kitty companions and do all the right things to keep them healthy and safe. But now we worry about what we're putting in their food dishes! This situation should be thoroughly investigated and those responsible should be named and punished to the maximum the law allows! Quality control measures must be tightened up on all ingredients used to make pet food.
I strongly encourage everyone to sign the petition Medusa posted in Cat General demanding an investigation into this. All of our kitty companions were put at risk of becoming seriously sick or passing to the RB. We DESERVE answers!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Medusa
04-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't beat yourself up over it, though. You certainly meant no harm to your furkids. You did and will always do what you think is best. We'll keep the prayers going.

catfamily
04-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm sick over Lucy.Her heartrate was 300.WAY too high,She does have heart problems.Her and Winston went together for their heart Doc the first time but Winston's was hardened on the outside and very large.
The norm at the vet(Because the cats are nervous)is about 2 or 220 at the most.He freaked at 300.
Lucy's has a valve problem and he (The heart Doc I went to a few years ago)said she should live a normal long life.But he wanted to see her in about 3 years.I need to bring her in now but that will be a few hundred dollars.
I'm hoping when I bring in Marshall and Colby for their bloodwork tomorrow he can give me something to calm her heart down.Untill I can get her to the heart Doc.But maybe their is nothing to give.I will take any advice he has to give.If he says their is nothing to give for that...than that's how it will be.

Lizzie
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM
When they did the blood test on Lucy, did it show her thyroid level? Hyperthyroidism in older cats is common, as you probably know, and would certainly cause her heart rate to increase drastically.

catfamily
04-10-2007, 07:52 PM
When they did the blood test on Lucy, did it show her thyroid level? Hyperthyroidism in older cats is common, as you probably know, and would certainly cause her heart rate to increase drastically.
Yes thank You.
He thought that as soon as he heard her heart.He had to take her back out of the carrier for more blood.The thyroid was fine.
They also took pee from her in the back and showed only a little bit of protein.
Just high BUN and high CREA

vet test
BUN 38mg/dL High (16 -36. )
CREA 2.7 mg/dL HIGH (0.8 -2.4 )
I don't know what this really means but just showing you guys.

Bengalz
04-10-2007, 08:00 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and all your family. The tainted food issue is just a horrible thing and everytime I think about it too much, my mind rages at this ruthless side of business enterprise .... :mad:

I sincerely hope that your furbabies are able to get any treatment they require and pull through this mess.

Hugs to you and Mike and all those dear little kitties you have nurtured.

Betty

Craftlady
04-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Yes thank You.
He thought that as soon as he heard her heart.He had to take her back out of the carrier for more blood.The thyroid was fine.
They also took pee from her in the back and showed only a little bit of protein.

vet test

I did a google on bun/crea

CREA is creatinine =The creatinine blood test is usually ordered along with a BUN (blood urea nitrogen) test to assess kidney function.

BUN = blood, urea, nitrogen
Urea u·re·a (yʊ-rē'ə)
n.
A water-soluble compound, CO(NH2)2, that is the major nitrogenous end product of protein metabolism and is the chief nitrogenous component of the urine in mammals and other organisms. Also called carbamide.

Bun/Crea elevated in humans (both bun/crea) are indications of kidney/liver damage so I would assume same in pets.

jennielynn1970
04-10-2007, 08:18 PM
OH gosh... I hope that Lucy and your others will be ok. Will you be able to get Lucy into the heart doc before her scheduled appt. since this would be an emergency? My thoughts and prayers are with you... please keep us updated.

Catlady711
04-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Yes thank You.

vet test

I can't say for sure on any results from a urinalysis as I don't run those at work.

But the Serum tests I do run at work.

The BUN and CREATININE are above normal levels but not by alot, and those ranges can vary depending on the machine or particular lab that runs them. On our machine a CREAT of above 2.0 is considered above normal, apparently on your vets machine 2.4 is considered within normal range.

Based on their ranges and the results it appears the levels are elevated some. They would actually need lab work prior to the cat getting sick to determine if those are normal levels for that particular cat or if in fact they are elevated. Or doing a repeat of the BUN and CREAT in a week or two and see if the levels continue to go up, stay the same or go into the 'normal' range. Is your vet giving IV fluids to your cat?

Just for reference; in very seriously ill cats at work we've seen BUN levels in the 70-80 range, and CREAT levels in the 4-7 range and some even higher.

Dusty had lab work done a few years ago and had a CREAT level of 2.4 (by our machine that was above normal. I had been feeding her "light" food which does not come in a senior fomula only adult. So I switched her back to a senior food and a few weeks later we retested and her CREAT level came back down to 1.8 (which is normal). All that from only a minor change in food from adult to senior.

Many things can affect those levels from food, to stress, to illness.

Medusa
04-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Puddy's CREAT was at 9 at one time and she's still kickin' and Queen of the house!

catfamily
04-11-2007, 02:31 AM
I was accually hoping you'd read and help with a reply.
Thank you.
I trust your judgement (because you work so closely with vets ) and do feel better.
I am as suggested by my vet also to go back for another blood test to see if Lucy's has elevated.It would probably be good to give all my cats senior food.Since all my cats are past 1 year old.I do think Senior food is a great food for cats after they turn to adulthood...if indoors...I agree with that.(But I don't,because I use Natural Balance,which is for ALL cats stages).
The Natural Balance is an excellent food.I will stick to it and see how everyone does./I think The Natural Balance is for ALL stages.(the ingredients are excellent)But I may have screwed up Lucy by giving her the *other,recalled*food not only because of maybe being tainted but because it was store brands and just grocery store pet food instead of the Natural Balance that I think is Wonderful for them all.
They all got the Other food...some more than others as a treat because they could smell it in the mudroom where Mia was.Mia would not eat the natural balance when first brought home and she was starved.So I bought Anything that she would eat.I'll NEVER EVER do that again.
Mia is now eating the Natural Balance.She wouldn't eat it before.
There may be a chance that the tainted food did not get in my area.
It was in the paper that no reported cases have been found in my area.
That means nothing to me because the vets can't prove that it IS from tainted food.
But since I may be someone in the area that is willing to test ALL my cats(being I have so many with so many different ages..most being very young)...that report MAY change.Only because I'm testing so many different aged cats.
But getting back to Lucy..she is a very nervous cat like her "semi ferel"sister Penny.But Lucy is OVER friendley while Penny is the opposite.So Penny stays in good shape.lol
Lucy wakes when I wake so she can always be with me which I think is unhealthy for a cat to OVER love an owner.(When it becomes an obsesion....just like in people).
So it could be nerves.Or just stress from her past life.She has had the same personality since I got her/and Penny her sister from the shelter.
lets see how Marshall and Colby turn out today.
That will give us ALL some much needed info if it may be the food or not.Marshall is only about 2 or 3 years old.If HE has it...I'm blaming the food!!

OH...and Thank You Craftlady for the Google Search on what the blood tests meant.I appreciate it.I've been to stressed to look it up.

I also want to add that EVERYONE'S reply has helped me so much...with either words of support or any advice they think is good.I will consider everyone's advice.I think everyone is so smart here,and in the learnings..which is so wonderful.

I can't say for sure on any results from a urinalysis as I don't run those at work.

But the Serum tests I do run at work.

The BUN and CREATININE are above normal levels but not by alot, and those ranges can vary depending on the machine or particular lab that runs them. On our machine a CREAT of above 2.0 is considered above normal, apparently on your vets machine 2.4 is considered within normal range.

Based on their ranges and the results it appears the levels are elevated some. They would actually need lab work prior to the cat getting sick to determine if those are normal levels for that particular cat or if in fact they are elevated. Or doing a repeat of the BUN and CREAT in a week or two and see if the levels continue to go up, stay the same or go into the 'normal' range. Is your vet giving IV fluids to your cat?

Just for reference; in very seriously ill cats at work we've seen BUN levels in the 70-80 range, and CREAT levels in the 4-7 range and some even higher.

Dusty had lab work done a few years ago and had a CREAT level of 2.4 (by our machine that was above normal. I had been feeding her "light" food which does not come in a senior fomula only adult. So I switched her back to a senior food and a few weeks later we retested and her CREAT level came back down to 1.8 (which is normal). All that from only a minor change in food from adult to senior.

Many things can affect those levels from food, to stress, to illness.

catnapper
04-11-2007, 06:36 AM
No advice here but lots of prayers for you and your gang.

AbbyMom
04-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Prayers and healing thoughts on the way for your furkids....

catlover4ever
04-11-2007, 07:13 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with you, Mike and all your kitties.

K & L
04-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm so sorry to read this. Thoughts are with you at this time. How sad all this is.

catfamily
04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Just got back from the vet with Marshall and Colby.
Marshall...NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurray for that!!
Colby..Kidney failure!!!!
Like Lucy.
He wants both back in 3-4 weeks for retesting.They are too young to have it so it IS the food.
Colby also had his sugur blood tested from being overweight and he's fine.
I'm sure most my cats have kidney failure from the food and my vet said to not kill myself bringing them all in.
We'll bring the 2 back in 3-4 weeks and then see from there.
If anyone looks bad of course they'll go in.
Life has NOT been to good to me.
But Marshall at least will be with us for hopefully 20 more years...being about 2 years old and healthy.

catmandu
04-11-2007, 03:21 PM
And the Found Paradise Hotel Cats are adding to the prayers for All Your Cats Carla and Mike. We know what a strain it is to have to take All those Cats in and have them tested.
I have to keep an eagle eye on the Found Cats in case Michaels URI is infectious as they all clump together so much.
Prayers are coming for your Cats and we pray that all will be well.

Craftlady
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Here's a law firm out of California that has started a class action suit.
A gal on another pet forum, signed up. Here's the link

class action suit (http://www.bwclassaction.com/menu-foods.shtml)

catfamily
04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Here's a law firm out of California that has started a class action suit.
A gal on another pet forum, signed up. Here's the link

class action suit (http://www.bwclassaction.com/menu-foods.shtml)
Do I sign this one being in Maine?Or do I sign a different one.Thank You.
Me and Mike are not doing to good right now.We worked so hard at keeping these guys healthy.
Colby is hanging over the water bowl just like most my cats.I change them every 2 hours to keep them fresh and they are ALL over the house(The big ceramic water bowls)to keep them fresh and enticeing to them.Plus we have 3 running water fountains.
How can I find the Maine one to sign.
God I'm so tired.

Mike is looking up where to sign...making sure this is the right one to sign.If there is a different one from Maine,we don't know but he's looking for it through this link.
Thank You

doolittleky
04-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Carla, I am so so sorry that this is happening to you. It just makes me so angry that this has happened to people's beloved babies. I am praying for all your babies to stay healthy and the ones in kidney failure to pull through.
Melissa

catfamily
04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Carla, I am so so sorry that this is happening to you. It just makes me so angry that this has happened to people's beloved babies. I am praying for all your babies to stay healthy and the ones in kidney failure to pull through.
Melissa
Thank You Melissa
And Thanks Everyone

Melissa...are you going to test some of yours?Or did you use only 1 food?Just curious.

jenluckenbach
04-11-2007, 04:25 PM
OMG Carla, this has to be the worst nightmare imaginable! I could not be more sorry. :( :( Prayers for you and that lovely fur family of yours.

Laura's Babies
04-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Oh Carla! I am sitting here crying. You have worked so hard to keep those babies healthy and done EVERYTHING right.. I can not believe this is happening to you.. I know they are your babies and you are taking this hard. ((((HUGS))))) to you and Mike!

I am SO glad I fought off that urge to get some of that "good stuff" to give my babies as a treat. I never have but when I come home, I want to do something SO special for them and this has taught me a grand lesson.. Special does not = food!

Craftlady
04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
The gal I know from another forum, is from Ohio and she signed up.
It appears that it doesnt matter what state your from to sign.

jennielynn1970
04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm so not familiar with kidney failure... I've only dealt with liver failure, and that was horrific in itself.

What is the treatment that they recommend for kidney failure?? Is there anything that they can do to flush out the system?? Gosh, this is so terrible! I hope that anything that can be done will be, and that it will work out for your guys.

Please let us know if there is anything you need!

Hugs to you and your kitties!

Lizzie
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm wondering what treatment is being done also. I've dealt with a lot of cats with chronic renal failure, but never acute renal failure - which is what the cats affected by the bad food are getting. Don't they still do lots of fluids? Are they on sub-q fluids? From what I've read, other cats have pulled through but it took a lot of vet care. Will you be able to do this? What has your vet recommended?

I am so very sorry you are going through this. You must be in despair.

Prairie Purrs
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Kiri's kidneys shut down entirely but were able to start functioning again. Her treatment mostly involved lots of fluids. Amazingly, her kidney levels very quickly returned to normal!

The vets who have seen her seem to doubt that the food was to blame--even though she ate food that was on the recall list. They all think that there's something else going on. But the point is that acute renal failure can be reversible.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Carla, I'm SO sorry to hear about this nightmare!

However, I have to agree that the levels you posted are only marginally high. I don't remember exactly what Tubby's were, but I know they were higher and he lived almost 3 years after his original diagnosis, and he was diagnosed at 15 1/2. Therefore, I feel that since you caught it early, you can make changes in their diets to help prevent any further damage. With Tubby, the vet told me that the damage that was already done can't be reversed, but further damage can be prevented, or delayed at the worst.

Good luck, {{{hugs}}} and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire tribe.

catfamily
04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
The gal I know from another forum, is from Ohio and she signed up.
It appears that it doesnt matter what state your from to sign.

Mike was unable to find one for Maine except a bunch of private lawyers.
Thanks.
Me and Mike talked and since our cats are not dead than we may not sign.Plus I may wait because ALL my cats may be sick.And accually...I just don't know what to do.I went on the site just now and it asked for all info...vet info included plus the pets names and which food.I would need to talk to my vet first before signing.I can't do that to him unless we all talk about it.It's only fair to him.(My vet).He's been so good about caring for my cats.

Thanks everyone else too.I didn't know accute was irreversable.That's good to know.And as far as giving them kidney food?No way can I give it to them and my vet agreed today with us how hard it would be in my house.I have too many cats and they aren't dying yet.
Maybe if they get worse...I'll have to seperate the ones that will need it.That means spending a couple thousand or so testing everying and seperating up the cats!My normal cats cannot eat it...at least I don't think.Does anyone know if regualar cats can eat that kidney food?If so...I'll feed them all it.Then the food bill will double but at least they won't die right?
The past couple days cost around 500 and we will have to forfeight 2 bills at the end of the month.I guess I took on too much.This is OK...the 500 but when it goes into a few thousand(For testing ALL the cats)...we'll be in trouble.
I really cannot get too upset right now because it may be irreversable.And if it is...I can test one at a time on their yearly vet visits or 3 year shot visits I should say.
I have 7 due in June.The kittens and Jasmine for their second Rabies,distemper.

Craftlady
04-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Would your vet do the testing for free? or at a reduced rate since you have multiples?

I'd keep the class action stuff in the back ground, they are reinbursing for treatments of pets that lived. Your vet should be able to provide the needed information without to much trouble. He would be providing (documentation wise) the necessary information that would prove the food made them sick.

Good Luck

catfamily
04-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Would your vet do the testing for free? or at a reduced rate since you have multiples?

I'd keep the class action stuff in the back ground, they are reinbursing for treatments of pets that lived. Your vet should be able to provide the needed information without to much trouble. He would be providing (documentation wise) the necessary information that would prove the food made them sick.

Good Luck
I guess your right.I'll need to sign one from my state though...I would think.
He won't do it for free.He's not THAT nice.lol
My old vet in Massachusetts...I bet he would of done the rest of the cats blood tests for free.

emily_the_spoiled
04-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I don't know if you are interested in trying something like this, but there are recipes for home-made cat food for cats in renal failure. Here is the link if you are interested

http://users.ameritech.net/critterz/crf_recipes.htm

I know it would be alot of work, but maybe if it was just temporary, i.e. until their kidneys start back up...

catfamily
04-12-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't know if you are interested in trying something like this, but there are recipes for home-made cat food for cats in renal failure. Here is the link if you are interested

http://users.ameritech.net/critterz/crf_recipes.htm

I know it would be alot of work, but maybe if it was just temporary, i.e. until their kidneys start back up...
Thank you so much..I printed it all out.All the recipees.we'll talk it over...me and my husband...then our vet.

NKBurlington
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to read about this. You poor thing.

Thinking of you. . .