PDA

View Full Version : Question about my dog

nancyweNW
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way. As a lifelong cat owner, I decided to get a dog. Two years ago I adopted Mickey from a wonderful place called Old Dog Haven which works to find homes for older dogs. Mickey is now 9 or 10 (the previous owner wasn't sure) and a gorgeous border collie mix who I can't imagine being without. On weekends, I take her with me everywhere and even some dog-friendly friends let me bring her to parties. I really just enjoy having her w/me. When I go somewhere that I can't take her, I feel like a mother leaving her baby. Don't get me wrong, I treat her like the great dog she is and not as a 4-legged child. She does sleep w/me though. My question is: does anyone else feel guilty or sad when they have to leave their dog home for one reason or another? I'm finding it's very different with a dog than cats. I love my cats to death but how I feel for Mickey is so different.

Thanks!
Mickey's Mom

Kfamr
04-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Firstly, Welcome to Pet Talk!

Isn't it funny how dogs seem to wrap us around their paws? Dogs are much more socialble and pack oriented animals. Therefore, they are much more in tune with their pack (you're Mickey's pack.) They are dependent on their pack.

I don't feel badly everytime I leave my dogs at home, although I wish I could bring them with me everywhere.

Thank you for opening your heart to a rescue dog, a senior one at that! I'd love to learn more about yourself and Mickey. Head over to our introductions section and let us know about you two (and your kittes, of course!)

Taz_Zoee
04-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I know exactly what you are saying. This past Friday I had to put Zoee away (she stays in the bathroom while we are not here) and she didn't want to go in there. Usually she is very good about it, but that night she hung her head down and walked slowly in. I felt horrible!!! But I knew she'd be fine and we were going to visit her "cousins" for the weekend, so that made up for the fact she had to be locked up for a few hours Friday night.
In my opinion, cats are more independent (usually) than dogs. They tend to be able to take care of themselves better. I don't feel as bad leaving Taz home for the weekend mainly because he has the ENTIRE house to himself. He probably loves it!! :D

nancyweNW
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I did as was suggested and posted in the Intro section. But I forget to include pics of my kids!! :)

BC_MoM
04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Hehe, I have a Border Collie mix as well... also named Mickey! :)

Welcome to Pet Talk!

I think it's different because dogs are much more sociable and dependent than cats are, who, on the other hand, are INdependent and tend to think "Thank GOD they're leaving!!!" ;)

nancyweNW
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Small world! The previous owner actually named her Michaela but I call her Mickey.

Before I got her, the previous owner told me she was a retriever, husky mix and weighed 70 to 80 lbs. When I saw her, she was obviously a border collie mix and weighed 50 lbs. Interesting. But he loved her and it was obvious it was very hard for him to part with her due to a job transfer. She definitely has that high energy of the border collie and the prettiest white fluffly tail.

pessimisaurus
04-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Welcome! You must live near Seattle! I live in Northgate. I love Old Dog Haven, they are such an amazing group. I feel so horrible for those dogs, and I admire you for opening your heart & home to a senior!!

I definitely feel sad sometimes having to leave my dogs home alone for 8 hrs, 4 days a week, but I spend a ton of time with them the rest of the week. they are the center of my world. and honestly, its harder for me to leave them than for them to stay. they are used to this schedule and just sleep while Im gone and look forward to going on a walk/run, the dog park and/or a game of fetch when I get home. I do take them to work with me when I can too.

but honestly, most dogs in the world stay home while their owners are at work and are perfectly happy and content and lead normal, happy lives. if you are concerned though, you can leave her with things to do like a stuffed/frozen kong, a buster cube or tricky treat ball, you can hide treats around the house for her to sniff out/find, or even get really creative and stuff a few kongs, wrap them each in an old cloth or sock, and then hide them around the house. she'll have to hunt out each of them, dissect the kong out of the cloth, and then work on getting the food out. you could also hire a dog walker to come in and walk her once during the day, or if shes good with other dogs, send her to dog daycare once or a couple times a week, even for just a couple hours.

pitc9
04-10-2007, 07:44 AM
I know how you feel as well!!
I can't stand the fact that my husband wants to go out west on vacation for a week or 10 days this fall and I freak out everytime he talks about it because I've never been away from my pups for more that 3 days before.
I don't wanna go on vacation ( but I've always wanted to go out West... :( )
Kay hit the nail on the head, pups sure do find a way to wrap us around their paws!!

Welcome to Pet Talk!!
It's easy to see you'll find in PERFECTLY here! :D
Can't wait to see pictures!
And thank you for saving an older dog!

BitsyNaceyDog
04-10-2007, 08:08 AM
I have horrible separation anxiety from all my pets. I've discovered that I really can't travel on over night trips, I get depressed and cry the whole time. I can leave my pets for a couple hours without feeling guilty or getting upset, but I have a hard time leaving them for more than that.

I think it's different because dogs are much more sociable and dependent than cats are, who, on the other hand, are INdependent and tend to think "Thank GOD they're leaving!!!" ;) You haven't met my cats. One of my cats is so attached to me that he even sits in the shower with me! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
04-10-2007, 08:55 AM
This is so the right place to post that question!!! I have just spent 5 days at home with my dogs and now I'm back at work I miss their company so much :D

nancyweNW
04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty good during the week being gone at work as she does have her own routine and a huge backyard w/a pet door to go in and out of. On the weekends, I do take her w/me everywhere I can and so I feel bad when I go somewhere and can't take her since she is alone during the workweek. However, I have to remember that she could be a stray or in a bad home. Even though I'm not home as much as I'd like, she is loved, protected, fed, taken hiking and snowshoeing AND get's most of the bed.

And yes, I am a NorthWesterner...Marysville to be exact. And Old Dog Haven provides a great service and Judith and Lee couldn't be nicer. I always encourage people to adopt an older dog. Mickey is 9 or so but as energetic as a 2 year old.
I'm trying to attach pictures but the attachment page is slow to open so not sure what is going on.

dab_20
04-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Mickey sounds gorgous... I'd love to see pictures of her! Good for you for rescueing a older dog, if only more people in the world were like you.

I do feel bad sometimes, as my life is always busy and hectic and Molli, one of my dogs, is often alone. Dogs are so pack oriented and depend greatly on you for companionship, but, just like humans, they do enjoy some time alone during their day. Sometimes, we may miss our dogs more then they miss us. :p ;)

wolfsoul
04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Welcome to PT! :)

I'm actually the opposite, believe it or not. :o I work with dogs 24/7, my dogs take turns coming to work with me, and one of them used to be my service dog (don't need her for service anymore) so I took her everywhere with me. I don't have a vehicle right now so they pull me on my bike wherever I go. My dogs follow me around the house and since I live alone I have to bring them with me if I am going out for a long time. So I must say, I enjoy getting away from them, they drive me crazy! LOL.

Sevaede
04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Welcome! :D You're going to have a lot of fun here! I can't wait to see pics of your furbabies! :D

You haven't met my cats. One of my cats is so attached to me that he even sits in the shower with me! :)

I thought I was the only one! :D My cats do that too!