PDA

View Full Version : I accidently killed Lilly :( UPDATED!!!

king2005
04-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I feel horrible! Down right horrible :(

I was redoing my bedroom last Thur & moved Lilly's tank into the hall. I totally forgot about her & left her there with no heat all weekend :(

As I was walking upstairs late lastnight (I was gone from 10:15 fri to midnight sun) & saw her tank... I gasped in horror & rushed her tank into my room. was able to see a couple legs at the end of her log. I poked them with a pen & they didn't move :(

I cannot believe I killed my baby :(

Some of you may say gross its a spider! But she ment something to me. I'm going to clean out her cage tonight.

I'm hoping & praying that she just shedded, as I cannot see into her log (too many webs)... But I did poke her web back door & she usually pokes back & I didn't get a responce last night :(

Whisk_Luva
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh dear! I hope she just shedded skin :(

Kalei
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh no, that's not good:( I hope Lilly is okay and just hiding in his webnest. Keep us updated on em.

sweetpatata6
04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for you *crosses fingers*

lute
04-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss! :( Don't beat yourself up too bad over it.

Genny
04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Some of you may say gross its a spider! But she ment something to me. I'm going to clean out her cage tonight.

I know what you mean--when my duck died I know to some people she was just a duck, but she meant way more than that to me, because they are part of the family no matter what kind of species of animal--whether it's got fur, scales, feathers or even if it's a spider like your's they are still special and mean something to the ones that love them :)

lute
04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I know what you mean--when my duck died I know to some people she was just a duck, but she meant way more than that to me, because they are part of the family no matter what kind of species of animal--whether it's got fur, scales, feathers or even if it's a spider like your's they are still special and mean something to the ones that love them :)
i agree! I love my chickens like I love my dogs. My mother on the other hand doesn't understand it. I don't know how many times a day I hear "They are just chickens!" Yeah, but they are MY chickens! :)

king2005
04-09-2007, 10:24 PM
SHES ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She just shed her skin!!! I poked the leg & it fell :S I then was able to see that the leg was hollow & crispy hehe

SO now I have this kick butt Spider skin!!! Her HUGE fangs are still attached to it!!

I am so happy I didn't killer.. I feel horrible still, as I could have killed her... But when I saw her inside her log looking at me, I nearly cried!

critter crazy
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Great News!!!!

lute
04-09-2007, 11:45 PM
That's wonderful! I'm sooo glad she made it! :D

Lilith Cherry
04-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Oh I am soo happy to hear that Lilly is okay after all! I love spiders although I have never owned one as a pet. I refuse to take down currently used spider webs in my house although everything else is kept swept and dusted. My family think I am nuts!
Lots of love, Lilith

Twisterdog
04-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Glad to hear everything is ok.

The first time my son's rosy tarantula shed her skin, I though she was dead, too. I was trying to figure out how to break the bad news to my son, and how to get this HUGE dead spider out of the cage without totally losing it. Just about then, she crawls out of her house for a cricket. Now I'm REALLY freaked ... since suddenly there is one live spider and one dead spider in a cage that yesterday very clearly only had ONE spider in it. LOL

What kink of spider is Lilly? If she is a tarantula, unless your house is really cold, I don't think they really needs heat. We never had heat for ours, and she did fine. Several other people I know with tararntulas keep them without heat as well.

Genny
04-10-2007, 12:41 AM
oh my goodness! wow! that's so awesome!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-10-2007, 05:06 AM
I am glad for you but have to say eeeeeekkk :eek:

steel
04-10-2007, 06:32 AM
having a spider as a "pet" is a bit strange.its not like you call spidy & he runs to you.

sweetpatata6
04-10-2007, 06:45 AM
OMG NO! That's the same thing that happened to me when I got my first hermit crab! lol

king2005
04-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Glad to hear everything is ok.

The first time my son's rosy tarantula shed her skin, I though she was dead, too. I was trying to figure out how to break the bad news to my son, and how to get this HUGE dead spider out of the cage without totally losing it. Just about then, she crawls out of her house for a cricket. Now I'm REALLY freaked ... since suddenly there is one live spider and one dead spider in a cage that yesterday very clearly only had ONE spider in it. LOL

What kink of spider is Lilly? If she is a tarantula, unless your house is really cold, I don't think they really needs heat. We never had heat for ours, and she did fine. Several other people I know with tararntulas keep them without heat as well.

I knew they shed, but I had knocked on her front door last week & I saw her leg... It was the same leg that I saw yesterday that made me think she was dead... but it was really her skin... so I'm assuming that last week she tried to answer her front door, but she bumped into her skin & moved it there...

The tank has a heat pad under it, as I live in a cold area & don't normally keep my bedroom heat on. It was VERY cold this weekend & her tank was really cold to the touch, thats why I thought I had killed her.

Kalei
04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Yay! I"m so glad he's okay:D Hipp hip horray!! I always wanted a turantula, I think they are cute and furry, I was wondering, what do trantulas eat? And what type of thing should you have for him to live in? I might think of getting one.

Kalei
04-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Oh and also, can you hold them?

king2005
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Yay! I"m so glad he's okay:D Hipp hip horray!! I always wanted a turantula, I think they are cute and furry, I was wondering, what do trantulas eat? And what type of thing should you have for him to live in? I might think of getting one.

Lilly is a She ;)

The fur isn't like a dog, its quite rough & tickles lol

Lilly eats bugs (crickets from the store, out door bug may have chemicles on them like raid) & new born rats. Lilly was under weight & ill when I got her. My friends said to feed her 1 newborn rat from my feeder rats, everythime they have a litter, to help her put on weight.

Shes been doing pretty good. Her flaky skin has gotten a lot better & she has FINALLY grown (reason she shed)... I have not seen her since her shed to see if her skin is better or not... But the newborn rat diet has helped her soooo much!

She has a water dish that she can step into, bend down & drink from (kinda like a horse)...

I have her in a 20 gallon tank. Everyone said the 20 gallon was too big for a Rose Hair.. But she seems to like the space! In the warmer weather I'll spot her all over her tank making webs. There is a special bedding to use, its kinda like dirt/rotting wood... it doesn't smell & looks really nice (I'll get you the website, addy's at home)... I have 2 deer antlers (naturally fell off the deer) in her tank. Her fake log has a skeleton's arm on it & I found my Squirrel & Bird skulls on the weekend & I plan to add those to her tank this weekend, after I give them a bleach bath (They were bleached years ago, but can never be too safe)... all skulls were found... I'm a bio nut, love the stuff. As you can tell I have a death theme going on in her tank...

You can hold Rose Hairs as they are a calm species, BUT it really depends on the individual spider... Most don't care, but some will attack. Lilly is really calm & I could prob. hold her, BUT I'm scared of getting bitten so I wont, not even with my big work gloves that stop Axle from slicing my skin open (My 30+lb Snapping Turtle)...

Getting a female is always best as they live MUCH longer then males. I forget how long, but I think females live over 5yrs & the males are only a couple years... I honestly forget, but the females get larger & DO live longer (unless ill, etc.) then males.

Ummmm.... they do feel most happy in a warmer tank (Why lilly lives in her log during the winter), & it needs to be misted with water, as dry = unhappy spider... I just pour water in a corner where the heat pad is & that keeps the tank a little moist (not damp, just a little moist)...

She seems happy as shes making webs & using her tank... When summer comes, her log will be removed, as I'm going to make her an underground hole.. I think it'll look cooler & she wont have to make as many web doors to keep herself safe & dark.

I'm not a spider pro yet. Lilly is my first.

Kalei
04-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks so much for the info! It helps alot, I will read up on them to. If I get one I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Thanks one again, and I'm so glad that Lilly is growing and very healthy:D

king2005
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
No problem :D

I'll be making a post about Lilly shedding & it'll have 2 photos :D

Twisterdog
04-10-2007, 09:33 PM
having a spider as a "pet" is a bit strange.its not like you call spidy & he runs to you.

That's not a very nice thing to say, IMO. :( LOTS of pets don't "run to you" when you call ... fish, many birds, most reptiles ... in fact, one the only species of pet that consistently comes when called, as a rule, is a dog. Does that make all the others "strange" pets? I find that to be quite a narrow critera.

We used to hold our tarantula all the time. Once she got used to us, if we put our hand in her cage, she would come over and climb up. She liked the warmth of our hands. She never, ever attempted to bite. I wasn't actually aware that rosy tarantulas could even bite a human. ?? They do, however, "throw hairs" when startled. They throw the little hairs on their bodies, much like a porcupine does. It is a defense mechanism. It's not painful ... but it DOES itch a LOT. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to hold her, because she was so BIG. But once I got over it, I found her to be very sweet.

king2005
04-11-2007, 08:06 AM
That's not a very nice thing to say, IMO. :( LOTS of pets don't "run to you" when you call ... fish, many birds, most reptiles ... in fact, one the only species of pet that consistently comes when called, as a rule, is a dog. Does that make all the others "strange" pets? I find that to be quite a narrow critera.

We used to hold our tarantula all the time. Once she got used to us, if we put our hand in her cage, she would come over and climb up. She liked the warmth of our hands. She never, ever attempted to bite. I wasn't actually aware that rosy tarantulas could even bite a human. ?? They do, however, "throw hairs" when startled. They throw the little hairs on their bodies, much like a porcupine does. It is a defense mechanism. It's not painful ... but it DOES itch a LOT. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to hold her, because she was so BIG. But once I got over it, I found her to be very sweet.
Thanks,

Oh ya, they can bite! Have you seen the size of their chompers :eek: Their bites/venoms cannot kill a human, unless your alergic. But you can have interesting reactions.. Crazy swelling, lots of pain, numbness, nerve issues, the shakes... but its all tempory, well unless your allergic then it can be deadly just like a bee sting.

She can throw her hairs? I guess she must like me cause shes never done that.

ramanth
04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm glad she's okay! A friend of mine has a lot of spiders and other types of arachnids as pets. :D

cali
04-12-2007, 08:19 PM
glad she's ok. I know I got upset when a Spider that techniacly was not even a pet died lol I am generaly terrified of spiders but this one had made a web above my headboard, and she lived there, most spiders skitter all over and thats what frightens me, but this one never left her web when I was there. she would sit on top of her web and watch me, and if I needed to reach for my alarm clock she would skitter behind the headboard so I didnt have to worry about her, and come back out and watch me when I was done. she lived there for months, I grew attached to having my little spider "friend" there :p

MarissaMassacre
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Well then wouldn't the same apply to fish? My fish never came when I called it. Some people like spiders. Don't judge. :/