PDA

View Full Version : Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

kuhio98
04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Some of you have asked me about where I work. About the weather, etc. This video done by Ford explains a lot about our working conditions. Click on "Get Inside" once it loads up to view the movie.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2008superduty/alaska/index.asp

I work with some of these people. None of them are actors. Once you view this, you might appreciate just why I thought it was so STUPID for the store to be selling flip-flops and lawn furniture! :p

Editing to see if the link will "stick" this time. Sorry about that!

Sirrahsim
04-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Ummm.... Either this baby is eating more brain cells then I thought... or there isn't a link :p :D

Daisy and Delilah
04-07-2007, 07:30 PM
WOW!!! After watching that, I'm sitting here freezing and I'm in sunny Florida!! Is it ever cold there! YIKES!! Seriously, do you ever have any warm weather there at all? If you don't mind answering, how did you end up there? I've heard that the Alaskan government pays some people to live there(something like that)and I can certainly see why :eek: :eek: :eek:

Marigold2
04-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Ok I am the crazy one who loves the cold. Any jobs for a middle aged female up there?

Lillycat
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
and i learned alot......i had no idea of the negative temps to that degree........i had heard of small amounts of daylight.....did i hear right.....only 2 hours a day?......actually that was a good "clip".....thanx for sharing!!!

chocolatepuppy
04-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I like the cold and snow, but not that cold! :eek: Hubby and I both drive Ford trucks. ;)

Roxyluvsme13
04-07-2007, 09:57 PM
OMG! *thanks Tennessee for 30 degree weather* I'm sitting here freezing to death, and it's like 60 degrees warmer than you. How can you stand such cold temperatures?

Cinder & Smoke
04-07-2007, 10:01 PM
:eek:

OMG! ... That sure looks *cccccc.C.O.L.D*!!!

You and that crazy Yukon Girl (Glacier/Tamara) can split my share of the Cold!

But it IS comforting to know that there are Folks like you who will work in
those conditions - for the betterment of all of us sun-worshipers!
**THANKS**

:)

cyber-sibes
04-07-2007, 10:45 PM
WOW :eek:
Now THAT'S COLD! I don't think I'd ever get out of the truck.

But before trucks, there were.....SLED DOGS! And years from now,
when the oil runs out, there will still be SLED DOGS! ;) GO huskies!

Cinder & Smoke
04-07-2007, 11:36 PM
But before trucks, there were ... SLED DOGS!

And years from now,
when the oil runs out,
there will still be SLED DOGS! ;)

GO huskies!

We need to be sure those Huskies can *SWIM*! :cool:

'Cuz when we finally burn up all the oil ~ we'll probably have jacked up
the Temperature so high all that Alaskan ICE is gonna melt! :eek:

Did Noah write down the plans for the Arc?

slick
04-07-2007, 11:47 PM
After seeing that video I will never again complain about having 0 deg F temp and 2 inches of snow. :o

...but if I worked there I would be inclined to set up the lawn furniture and an umbrella as a joke... :D :cool:

kuhio98
04-08-2007, 08:52 AM
WOW!!! After watching that, I'm sitting here freezing and I'm in sunny Florida!! Is it ever cold there! YIKES!! Seriously, do you ever have any warm weather there at all? If you don't mind answering, how did you end up there? I've heard that the Alaskan government pays some people to live there(something like that)and I can certainly see why :eek: :eek: :eek:Prudhoe Bay gets up into the 70's in the summer. That is warm for us! Actually, that warm of weather causes some equipment problems. All of the equipment up here is made to run well in cold temperatures.

Now, I object to the term "end up there". I choose to live in Alaska because I love it. I absolutely hate hot weather. But many people who work in Prudhoe Bay commute from warmer places. One of the guys who runs the camp I live in lives in Miami. He flies up here to work for 4 weeks then flies home for 2 weeks.

Residents of Alaska are eligible for the Permanent Dividend Fund. It's like owning shares of stock in a large corporation. The proceeds of Alaska oil sales is invested in the stock market. We are the stockholders. So, every year, they do the calculations and the profits are divied up among all qualified (you have to have lived here at least a year) Alaskans. Last year we got about $1000 each. Here is some history on it if you're interested: http://www.apfc.org/homeObjects/tabPermFund.cfm

kuhio98
04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok I am the crazy one who loves the cold. Any jobs for a middle aged female up there?Well, I'm 47 so evidently, they do!

Are you a welder, pipefitter, electrician, qualified in instrumentation?
build scaffold, plumber, painter, mechanic, heavy equipment operator?

No? Me neither.

I got hired because of my computer skills. Because someone needs to track things on computers so I've got a warm, inside job.

If you're not confident in your computer skills, we also employ chefs, cooks, housekeepers, etc.

If you're interested in pursuing it, please send me a PM so we can exchange e-mail addresses and discuss it further.

I absolutely love working here. I basically only work 6 months out of the year. They fly me from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay. I stay here for 2 weeks. I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They feed me and house me (think of a dorm room). Then I fly home to Bobcat and the kittys for 2 weeks.

It's not for everyone. A few years ago we all did personalty studies. We found out the overwhelming majority of us are introverts. We don't need a lot of stimulation to have a good time. On our "down time", we're happy watching TV, reading a book etc. We can entertain ourselves.

There is no alcohol allowed. We're all drug tested, etc. I'm always surprised at the folks who lose a good paying job over drugs and alcohol.

kuhio98
04-08-2007, 09:08 AM
and i learned alot......i had no idea of the negative temps to that degree........i had heard of small amounts of daylight.....did i hear right.....only 2 hours a day?......actually that was a good "clip".....thanx for sharing!!!Yes, you hear right. In the winter, we are lucky to get 2 hours of daylight -- and then it's more of "dawn"light. The sun barely rises over the horizon. It look like it's sitting pretty much on the ground. Then it disappears. But, in the summer, the sun pretty much never sets. It's daylight almost 24 hours day.

Laura's Babies
04-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I watched the video and all I can say is BRRRRRRRRRRR!

lvpets2002
04-08-2007, 10:12 AM
:) BBrrrrrrr Where is my Hot Chocolate?? OMG girl how & why on earth would you stay there?? I know I know The MONEY is Great.. They would have to Pay real well for me to be there.. Do you have Airports that you can be able to leave if you want?? :D

kuhio98
04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
:) BBrrrrrrr Where is my Hot Chocolate?? OMG girl how & why on earth would you stay there?? I know I know The MONEY is Great.. They would have to Pay real well for me to be there.. Do you have Airports that you can be able to leave if you want?? :DI'm drinking my hot chocolate as I type! I love working here. I fly in (yes, we have airports) and work for 2 weeks. Then I fly home to Anchorage for 2 weeks and snuggle kittys. The flight is 1.5 hours from Anchorage. Only the truckers (who haul our groceries and supplies) drive the Dalton Highway (we call it the Haul Road). I think one of them said it was a 2 day drive.

But no, you can't leave when you want. Think of it like being in the military and you're sent overseas. You stay until your "hitch" is up. My hitch is 2 weeks. We have several flights a day (except Saturday) so if there is an emergency, we can fly people out. Like today, a guy is getting flown to Anchorage because he got some rusty metal shavings in his eye. We have doctors here, but they didn't feel comfortable removing the object themselves. So, this poor guy will spend Easter in a hospital in Anchorage.

Lillycat
04-08-2007, 04:58 PM
thanks for the additional information.....i sure would like to "sample" daylight nearly 24 hours a day......it all sounds very interesting.....thanks again....

Aspen and Misty
04-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Boy am I glad I won't be in Alaska till Summer!!! Gosh that looks COLD!! Now I'm so glad for the "warm" 40 degree georgia weather!

Ashley

Cataholic
04-10-2007, 10:52 AM
That was amazingly fascinating! BUT, it makes me want to know more, more, more! Do you work for BP or Ford? Are you 'on' round the clock while you are on your two week stint? Is this the coldest place on earth? Do you live 'on site'? If not, are you worried when you travel to/from work? Do you live on a compound? Do you leave the compound? What do you do/is there to do in your free time?

When it is super duper cold (below -20), what sort of gear do you wear to stay warm? Is there fear of frostbite within minutes at certain temps? What happens when someone is out driving and the truck breaks down? Is there a need for an immediate response?

You have your own room? (as when I think of dorm room, I think of 4 people). Shower facilities? Meals are cafeteria styled? Do you have cable TV? A gym?

Sorry if I am prying. All of these things (and I didn't even ask all my questions) are really interesting to me.

ramanth
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Wow Lisa! Thanks for sharing. :D I concur with Johanna's post. More! Tell us more! :D

My question though, is there a big difference in temps between Anchorage and Prudhoe Bay?

:)

kuhio98
04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
That was amazingly fascinating! BUT, it makes me want to know more, more, more! Do you work for BP or Ford? Are you 'on' round the clock while you are on your two week stint? Is this the coldest place on earth? Do you live 'on site'? If not, are you worried when you travel to/from work? Do you live on a compound? Do you leave the compound? What do you do/is there to do in your free time?

When it is super duper cold (below -20), what sort of gear do you wear to stay warm? Is there fear of frostbite within minutes at certain temps? What happens when someone is out driving and the truck breaks down? Is there a need for an immediate response?

You have your own room? (as when I think of dorm room, I think of 4 people). Shower facilities? Meals are cafeteria styled? Do you have cable TV? A gym?

Sorry if I am prying. All of these things (and I didn't even ask all my questions) are really interesting to me.I promise to get back with you and post answers and photos if possible in this thread.

kuhio98
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Wow Lisa! Thanks for sharing. :D I concur with Johanna's post. More! Tell us more! :D

My question though, is there a big difference in temps between Anchorage and Prudhoe Bay?

:)Right this minute it is -5 F (-22 C) in Prudhoe and 43 F (6 C) in Anchorage. Looks like when I fly home on Thursday, I'll be leaving winter and heading into spring!

ramanth
04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow! What a nice change. :D

kuhio98
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I think I answered all the questions, but if not, post 'em here.

That was amazingly fascinating! BUT, it makes me want to know more, more, more! Do you work for BP or Ford? Neither. I work for a company called Mactec. BP had subcontracted out some of their maintenance work. I work for the fire and gas department.

Are you 'on' round the clock while you are on your two week stint? I work from 6:00 a.m. till 6:00 p.m. 7 days a week. We do not have a night crew for our work. But, a lot of facilities do. When I fly home on Thursday, my alternate (Sue) will fly up and work. Think of it as job sharing. We each work 2 weeks out of the month while the other one is off having a good time with her critters. (Sue has 2 Goldens that are the sweetest things).

Is this the coldest place on earth? I don’t think so. I imagine that the coldest place on earth would be in Siberia or Antarctica. Ok, I Googled it and found: Antarctica is the coldest place on Earth, with the lowest natural temperature ever recorded on Earth of -90 °C (-130°F) having been recorded there in 1983 at the Russian Vostok Station.

Do you live 'on site'? If not, are you worried when you travel to/from work? Do you live on a compound? Do you leave the compound? I am lucky enough to live and work in the same building. I just need to walk through camp and I’m at work. Never even have to put a jacket on. But, most people live in camp (the name of my camp is BOC – Base Operations Camp) and work at another location. Each morning, they get up, eat breakfast, pack a lunch and catch a shuttle bus to their facility. Yes, I leave the camp/compound. I usually borrow a truck from our motorpool to drive over to another facility if I need to check something out.

What do you do/is there to do in your free time? There is a movie theater in the camp, gym, swimming pool, and a basketball court. But mostly I’m so exhausted after working 12 hours, I go to my room. Take a shower. Watch some TV and zonk by 9:00. Then get up and start all over the next day. Some of the guys have converted a trailer into a recording studio. In their spare time they play guitars, drums, etc. I’ve sung with them a few times. It’s fun, but it takes me HOURS to fall asleep, after I lie down, so I usually go straight to my room unless I need to do laundry.

Here’s a photo of the some guys I work with in the game room.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p0402c2617b911eb2df4c3d62833200b4/e9f4dda6.jpg

Here’s one end of the gym
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p0afc2098d84b1e2445a332335204b981/e9f4dcee.jpg

Here’s the other end of the gym. The pyramid thing is the roof over the swimming pool.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p65dd95a37092e8467e7be0036a81fc14/e9f4dd4a.jpg

kuhio98
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
When it is super duper cold (below -20), what sort of gear do you wear to stay warm? Is there fear of frostbite within minutes at certain temps? What happens when someone is out driving and the truck breaks down? Is there a need for an immediate response? I once broke down during the middle of a blizzard. While I was in the facility, the wind changed and so a lot of snow blew in and clogged some filter in the truck. I got about a mile down the road, and the truck died on me. All of our trucks are equipped with radios, so I radioed for help and they came and picked me up and towed the truck back to camp.

Here’s an example of our winter gear.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pc8a90298d613164a68cf2ff2769f34a7/e9f4e668.jpg

This is a wind chill chart that we go by to see how long a crew should be outside during cold weather. When it’s too cold to work safely – we stay in camp and catch up on paperwork.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p5d0689e4b7180b9ee1fd162bd6aa96ca/e9f4e34f.jpg

This is a photo of a truck after a blizzard. It wasn’t a bad storm. Last year, we had one that completely covered the trucks. They looked like little loaves of bread sitting out in the parking lot! One time the snow blew under my truck and lived it off the ground! Seriously, it packed in there like concrete and the wheels were off the ground. Took the guys a few days to dig me out.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pb6e1cbaa19626113507f14103f1ea8b1/e9f4e515.jpg

kuhio98
04-11-2007, 01:15 PM
You have your own room? (as when I think of dorm room, I think of 4 people). Yes, I am lucky enough to have my own room. I share a bathroom and shower with the room next to me. Some people have to share a room with another person. I did that for years so I enjoy having my own room now. Shower facilities? Meals are cafeteria styled? Yep. Breakfast served from 5-7:30, Lunch from 11-12:30 and Dinner from 5-8. It’s all FREE! Do you have cable TV? Yep. Which is nice because I’m too cheap to pay for it at my house. A gym? Uh-huh. I’ve played volleyball there and walked the track, but mostly I’m a couch potato.

Dining room – No alcohol allowed. They are drinking orange soda and “near” beer.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pe4fa2066ae1fa3cdc784cab8fef98a07/e9f4de0f.jpg

Snack bar – popcorn machine, hot dogs, chips, soup and lots of hot chocolate and coffee.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p43fc1b0fb713469dcd8ae44b674d689c/e9f4dc09.jpg

Sorry if I am prying. All of these things (and I didn't even ask all my questions) are really interesting to me. You’re not prying. Ask away! I’ll do my best to answer.

Here are some other photos I think you might like.

This was a drill exercise with the fire fighters and rescue squad.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p854b81480cc20a9928a3f1ac72c1441c/e9f4e1d6.jpg

Caribou herd (last spring) right outside my window. They are unimpressed (and unconcerned) with our presence.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p7bef50ed055d4b3579111cc59681c7de/e9f4e610.jpg

This one is funny! I wasn’t there when the photo was taken, but the guy to took it told me that a mama bear and her cubs were in the parking lot when a truck drove by. Mama shooed her babies to safety. Since there are no trees in Prudhoe, they climbed the safety ladder (on the outside of an old tank). Once the truck passed, they bawled and bawled trying to figure out how to climb down. They eventually figured it out. We call this one TEAMWORK! The bears have radio collars so that they an be tracked so we can get out of their way when they are coming through.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p223008fc288b816ee071b08ac0882e69/e9f4e5a2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the “visit” to Prudhoe Bay.

sirrahbed
04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I loved my visit to Prudhoe Lisa :D The everyday details and pictures are very interesting. I remember that such details of our family living on military installations used to fascinate some folks even though that is all I have ever know so it surely was not interesting to me. Thanks!!

I can see why you love Alaska and that the job is perfect for you. I also hate heat and do not tolerate it well. I loved living up in South Dakota and never really understood why most folks grumbled all the time. It is great that you are able to live in the same building where you work and that you have good amenities. Many of the things you describe remind me of military alert facilities - bet they use some of the same service contract vendors ;)

ramanth
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the guided tour Lisa! Looks like a lot of fun. :D

Pembroke_Corgi
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Wow, how interesting! Thanks for sharing. Your job facilities look really nice- I guess since people need to be indoors so often you'd have to make it a nice place to be!

The cold seems brutal, but I honestly think the hardest thing would be all the darkness in the winter time. I spent a summer in St. Petersburg, so I've had a taste of "white nights"- they are great! But going without light in the winter would be so hard! Do you have any lights that mimic natural light?

Lillycat
04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
of caribou (sp)......gosh, how many were there?.......looks like bunches.......fascinating .....i would have loved to have seen them.......and the bears......how "thinking" of them.......how brave and how cute...... to look at anyway.....thanks lisa for the visit and i would love to hear more anytime.....looks like an interesting place to be........