PDA

View Full Version : No charges in water intoxication case

cassiesmom
04-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Remember this strange and sad story from northern California about a woman who died after drinking excessive amounts of water in a radio station contest? No criminal charges but I wonder what the outcome of the wrongful death lawsuit will be.

No Charges Coming In Wii-Water Case
Sacramento Prosecutors Don't Plan Charges

POSTED: 7:52 am CDT April 3, 2007

SACRAMENTO -- Prosecutors in Sacramento won't file any criminal charges in the death of a woman who took part in a radio station's water-drinking contest.

Jennifer Strange died of water intoxication after participating in KDND-FM's on-air contest to see which contestant could drink the most water without going to the bathroom.

The city's district attorney's office said the behavior of the staff at KDND didn't rise to the level of criminal activity.

Authorities said there were no observable signs or symptoms that Strange was experiencing a medical emergency.

Strange's family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the station, which fired 10 employees after the incident.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Twisterdog
04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I don't know all the details of this case.

I think it is highly irresponsible for a radio or TV station ... or any business ... to hold a contest where death could be the result.

But I also think people need to use common sense on their own part. Before one does something - anything - one needs to be proactive and do some research on it first.

Honestly, almost ANY of these silly contests have the potential to be dangerous or deadly. The pie eating/Pepsi drinking/hot dog gobbling contests at the county fair I'm sure could kill someone from a ruptured stomach. How many people can you fit in a small car? I'm sure the person on the bottom could suffocate. Even a marathon or race ... if you don't know what you are doing, haven't done the research or aren't in shape, you could easily die of dehydration or a heart attack. People need to THINK for themselves.

elizabethann
04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the update. I wondered what happened in that case.

wombat2u2004
04-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't know all the details of this case.

I think it is highly irresponsible for a radio or TV station ... or any business ... to hold a contest where death could be the result.

But I also think people need to use common sense on their own part. Before one does something - anything - one needs to be proactive and do some research on it first.

Honestly, almost ANY of these silly contests have the potential to be dangerous or deadly. The pie eating/Pepsi drinking/hot dog gobbling contests at the county fair I'm sure could kill someone from a ruptured stomach. How many people can you fit in a small car? I'm sure the person on the bottom could suffocate. Even a marathon or race ... if you don't know what you are doing, haven't done the research or aren't in shape, you could easily die of dehydration or a heart attack. People need to THINK for themselves.

Yes....I'd agree with that. And as is the usually case, it's the radio stations, magazines etc etc who are just in it only to hype their own business up, at the expense usually of poorer folk.
Wom

lizbud
04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
They could file annother suit as a civil action and still collect damages.
The station does bear some responsibilty in this.

wombat2u2004
04-06-2007, 05:25 PM
They could file annother suit as a civil action and still collect damages.
The station does bear some responsibilty in this.

It probably wouldn't bother the station anyway, they'd carry enough liability insurance to meet any lawsuits.
Wom

Daisy and Delilah
04-06-2007, 07:53 PM
:( :( :(

king2005
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't know the whole story, but this whole thing against the radio station sounds stupid. She didn't have to do it, she wasn't made to do it, & it wasn't even close to being a harmful contest. It just turned out her body couldn't handle what SHE put into her body.

Sometimes people need to think for themselves & stop blaming others for things. I hate law suites like these... or the McDonalds coffee one... We were give commonsence for a reason, if your too stupid to know that coffee is HOT, well... DARWIN ...

But like I said I don't know the whole story, so I'm only commenting on what I know

Lady's Human
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Water intoxication is a dangerous situation, and the station put people in jeopardy of water intoxication DESPITE being warned of the possibility by an RN who called into the radio show.

They get whatever they deserve.