PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle 177

Cincy'sMom
07-07-2002, 04:52 PM
I hope no one is offended by this one...I thought it was funny :)

The Rules:
1. You may only guess one letter at a time.

2. After you have guessed a letter, you must wait for another player to guess a letter before you can go again.

3. The host of the game responding to a guess does not count as a turn. Should you choose a letter, then receive a response from the member host, you must wait for the next member to guess a letter.

4. One point will be given out for each correct letter, 2 points for vowels.

5. Only six misses are allowed in the game.

6. If you wish to guess the puzzle, send it to me via Pet Talk personal messenger. This is accessible via the 'PM' or 'Profile' buttons on any of my posts. Do NOT post it on the forum. If you wish to guess a letter, post it on the forum.

7. You must have submitted a correct letter to submit your solution. Unlike letters, if you submit a wrong solution, you are disqualified from continuing in that puzzle.

8. The player who correctly guesses the phrase wins the game. If no one has guessed it correctly after six misses, then the player with the most points wins the game.

And here is what you win; you get to create the next puzzle. Should you win the game, and do not care to host the next puzzle, you may pass your puzzle play to the person with the highest points.

Here is the puzzle:

---- ---- -- - ----------- -----, - ---, - ---- ---- --- - -----.
---- -- --- --- --- --- --- -- -- --------- --- ---- --- ----, - -----
---- - ------ ---!
~------- ----

Letters left to guess:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Have Fun!

Karen
07-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Oooh, me first! E, please!

Cincy'sMom
07-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Yeah Karen! You get the first letters!!!

Here's the Puzzle:

---- ---e -e - ----------e -----, - ---, - ---- ---- --- - -----.
---- -- --- --- -e- --e --- -- -- ---e--e-e --- -e-- --- ----, - -----
---e - -----e ---!
~------- ----

Letters left to guess:

ABCDFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

There are 11 E's

Karen has 22 points

Cincy'sMom
07-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Here's the Puzzle:

---- ---e -e a -------a--e -----, a ---, a ---- ---- a-- a ---a-.
---- -- --- -a- -e- --e --- -- -- ---e--e-e a-- -ea- --- ----, - -----
-a-e a -----e ---!
~------- a---

Letters left to guess:

BCDFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

There are 11 E's
There are 13 A's

Karen has 22 points
Popcornbird has 26 points

Fuzzy317
07-07-2002, 07:32 PM
I please

Fuzzy317
07-07-2002, 09:05 PM
U please

Cincy'sMom
07-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Here's the Puzzle:

-u-- -i-e -e a -o--o--a--e -ou--, a -o-, a -oo- -oo- a-- a -o-a-.
--e- i- -ou -a- -e- --e -o- -o -o -o-e--e-e a-- -ea- --e -oo-, I -i---
-a-e a -i---e -u-!
~--ou--o a---

Letters left to guess:

BCDFGHJKLMNPQRSTVWXYZ

There are 13 E's
There are 13 A's
There are 5 U's
There are 5 I's
There are 18 O's

I previously missed 2 E's...Karen has 26 points

Popcornbird has 26+36=62 points
Fuzzy317 has 10+10=20 points

Rottieluver45
07-07-2002, 09:54 PM
T Please!

Karen
07-07-2002, 10:26 PM
S please!

Fuzzy317
07-07-2002, 10:37 PM
N please

delidog
07-08-2002, 05:08 AM
D please

Former User
07-08-2002, 05:08 AM
Y please :)

delidog
07-08-2002, 05:17 AM
R please

Ann
07-08-2002, 07:27 AM
M please

delidog
07-08-2002, 07:49 AM
f please

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 08:08 AM
L please :D

Former User
07-08-2002, 08:11 AM
How about giving Cincy's mom time to update it? No point going and guessing all the letters at one go, is there? :confused:

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
How about giving Cincy's mom time to update it? No point going and guessing all the letters at one go, is there? :confused:

Sorry, I didn't even think about it. I had to get one letter in anyway:).

Randi
07-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi everybody! Why don't we change the rules so everyone can only guess the next letter 10 or 15 min. after their last letter. It is a bit irritating that some of us (me included, I know) guess one letter after the other so the host doesn't get time to update it. It is equally irritating if the host doesn't update until 12 hours (or even more) later!

What do you think? :)

Former User
07-08-2002, 08:25 AM
I agree Randi! When I hosted my last puzzle, I changed the rule a bit, and said I would update the puzzle after 2 letters were guessed. It worked out brilliantly, and everyone respected that rule. I didn't have major updating job to do, no mess with the puzzle, no missing letters, wrong scores etc.

And I only host a puzzle when I know I have time to spare and I can update it fast, not the next day.

Randi
07-08-2002, 08:39 AM
I agree Randi! And I only host a puzzle when I know I have time to spare and I can update it fast, not the next day.

I like that, because if the puzzle is not being updated, the participants loose interest.

Then, the only thing is to find the amount of time in between each guessed letter (your own!). I say 15 min. - but we could have a vote!?

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 08:41 AM
I think the 10-15 minute rule is a good one. I also agree that it is a bit anoying to wait for extended periods of time for the puzzle to be updated. This is not aimed directly at anyone, but we should all think about our time constraints before hosting a puzzle. It is sooo time consuming. I also have to admit that I have posted puzzles before going to bed, and not updated them until the am (8-10 hours later:o ). It is a pain in the butt to have to put half the alphabet into the puzzle at once, especially when people keep guessing more. I have definately learned from this mistake :).

The puzzles are so fun, when the timing is not too quick and not too slow :D .

Karen
07-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Why not make it that you can only guess one letter until the host updates it?

I, too, have found it strange when there are 12 letters guessed in a matter of minutes, and the poor person hosting must go a little crazy, too!

Randi
07-08-2002, 09:29 AM
15 minutes between your own guesses is fine with me (of course, you still have to wait for someone else to reply too).
I agree! If each person have to wait 15 min. to post each letter, it would give the host more time to update. Still, if there are 4-5 participants, the host would not get that much time in between. But it can also get too slow!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

More opinions, please! :)

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Randi

I agree! If each person have to wait 15 min. to post each letter, it would give the host more time to update. Still, if there are 4-5 participants, the host would not get that much time in between. But it can also get too slow!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

More opinions, please! :)

How about 10-15 minutes between your letters (alternating with others), a maximimum of 2 letters per person between updates, in the future the person hosting must update at least every two to four hours, if the thread is active? We could also have a maximum of 10 letters total for everyone, between updates. If you haven't guessed since the last update, you get one letter no matter what.

It's kinda too bad, we have to come up with all these rules:( . I wish we could just go at a reasonably steady pace. It's boring when there is no update, and scary when people guess too fast.

Cincy'sMom
07-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Well, first I am going to respond a little, then I will update. I am sorry the puzzle has not been updated, I work full time. If you would rather I don't host any after this, that is fine. i update when i can, sometimes with time difference it is hard to accomadate everyone. Yesterday, I checked every few hours, and no one was guessing, today everyone is impatient. I meant to update before work, but I overslept. Things happen. I know I can't always get to it right away becuase of work and I don't mind updated a bunch of letters at once. But, maybe a limit should be set so the whole puzzle isn't filled in by the time it is updated. I think if you change the rules too much you are going to limit the number of people who can play. If you say you have to update every X number of hours, you may lose a lot of interest in hosting. I miss a lot of the puzzle because I am at work. That is fine. Different puzzles are going to work into different people's schedules better. Fine. it is just a game. So you miss some. Who cares? Just my feelings.

Now for the update:

-ust -i-e me a -omforta-le -ou--, a do-, a -ood -oo- and a -oman.
T-en if you -an -et t-e do- to -o some--ere and read t-e -oo-, I
mi--t -a-e a little fun!
~-rou--o Mar-

Letters left to guess:

BCGHJKPQVWXZ

There are 10 T's
There are 2 S's
There are 6 N's
There are 6 D's
There is 1 Y
There are 5 R's
There are 6 M's
There are 3 F's
There are 3 L's

Karen has 26+2=28 points
Popcornbird has 26+36=62 points
Fuzzy317 has 10+10=20+6=26 points
Rottielover45 has 10 points
Delidog has 6+5+3=14 points
Casper&Kitty has 1 point
Ann has 6 points
Pupper-Lover has 3 points

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 04:11 PM
I sent a guess. I was typing one-handed and talking on the phone, so I hope I didn't flub it up!:rolleyes:

For the record, Cincy's mom, I was not aiming my comments at you directly. I think it is just a reoccuring issue.

Cincy'sMom
07-08-2002, 05:03 PM
We have a winner! Pupper-Lover, would you like to host the next puzzle?
Popcornbird has the highest point total and is next in line if not.

The answer:

Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book and a woman.
Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun!
~Groucho Marx

I did not take anyone one's comments personally and I don't feel bad, and I hope nothing I said offended anyone. I was just giving my opinions on the subject, same as I would if anyone else had been hosting the puzzle.

popcornbird, I am not sure you are were saying you agree with me or if you misread my ealier statement. i too, do not think the puzzle should have to be updated at a given rate...it will limit the number of people who can or will host.

Hope everyone enjoyed the puzzle!

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 05:36 PM
I think I'm going to pass. I'm too busy at work right now to host. :eek: Fired=bad bad!

Popcornbird, can I pass the torch to you?

Fuzzy317
07-08-2002, 06:19 PM
I agree on limiting a person to a certain number of guesses between host updates or maybe quesses per day, perhaps 1 guess between updates, or 3-5 guesses per day. This will make puzzles run a little longer, but at the same time more people could be involved. When I did puzzles in Dog General, I could start the puzzle, then do the first update several hours later with only a few letter guesses. Most puzzles lasted over a day.