PDA

View Full Version : Newest Hero Cat Winnie

lizbud
04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
NEW CASTLE, Ind. -- A cat that went berserk, jumping on its owners' bed and meowing wildly as carbon monoxide filled a home, may have helped save a couple and their son from death.

Eric and Cathy Keesling said their 14-year-old cat, Winnie, played a crucial role in saving their lives March 24 after a gasoline-powered water pump in their basement caused a buildup of the odorless but deadly gas in their home.

About 1 a.m., the domestic shorthair began nudging Cathy's ear and meowing loudly.

"It was a crazy meow, almost like she was screaming," said Cathy, who hesitated to get up until Winnie's caterwauling and jumping about the bed persisted.

When she finally climbed from bed, she realized she was extremely nauseous and dizzy and couldn't awaken her husband. Because he had undergone minor neck surgery the previous day, she decided to call 911, but was so disoriented she had trouble dialing.

Paramedics soon arrived and found the couple's 14-year-old son, Michael, lying unconscious on the floor near his bedroom. The Keeslings were taken from the home in oxygen masks and treated for carbon monoxide in their systems.

The family members, who soon recovered, are grateful to emergency personnel for rescuing them. But they credit "Winnie the Wondercat" for playing a key role in saving them from possibly dying. They also have another cat.

Cathy Keesling said Winnie acted in the same, crazed manner last summer when a series of tornadoes went through the area around New Castle, 45 miles east of Indianapolis.

"I really believe cats can sense these kind of things," she said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten

catmandu
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Thats A Great Story About Winnie And It Prooves Again That Its Not Always Dogs Who Are The Heroes.
We Hope That Winnies Getting A Nice Reward.

RedHedd
04-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I just read that story on sfgate.com They didn't say how Winnie is doing, but I'm assuming she's all right too.

Laura's Babies
04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow! That baby deserves to be treated like ROYALTY!

jennielynn1970
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I just read that story on sfgate.com They didn't say how Winnie is doing, but I'm assuming she's all right too.

So I wasn't the only one wondering that, huh?!

GrabaLab
04-05-2007, 08:59 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070405/FEATURES10/70405055/1039/ENT04

there is a picture posted there of Winnie with her family.

And in reading another article here:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704050588

it's stated:
The family, which soon recovered, is grateful to emergency personnel for rescuing them and their two cats, Winnie and a Siamese named Max to safety. But they credit "Winnie the Wondercat" for playing a key role in saving them from possible death.

Killearn Kitties
04-06-2007, 11:27 AM
What an amazing story. Great job Winnie!

lvpets2002
04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
:) ;) Great story.. I hope Winnie is ok.. Yes Cats can be Heros too.. Way to go Winnie.. Go for those kitty treats now..