PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for kitten's eyes

nancys
04-05-2007, 01:41 PM
[COLOR=Blue]One of Mollie's kittens eyes opened, but went shut again. A few days later I noticed that they seemed to be mattered, and thought that maybe it had scratched itself in the eyes or that one of the other kittens had scratched him. I was telling someone about this and she said to wash the kitten's eyes out with warm milk. I have done this a few times and it has seemed to help, but I'm not real sure it's a good idea. Does anyone have any ideas as to why a kitten's eyes would be mattered shut or what to do about it? I hope it's nothing serious like distemper - the kitten doesn't seem to be sick.

Medusa
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
When I was rescuing ferals, nearly all of them had gunk in their eyes. My vet gave me cream to put in their eyes twice a day. Then suddenly they vanished because Mama cat hid them. I worried but my vet said that Mama cat will clean their eyes and they'll be fine and he was right. But talk to your vet and see what s/he says.

catmandu
04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Usually a Momma Cat will do whats necessary unless shes a very inexperienced or new Mom Cat.
I would ask the Vet what to do in case this is so.

lvpets2002
04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
:) First of all Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pictures..

Second of all = I am like Mary have delt with alot of Feral Moms & newborns.. This is very common with newborn-kittens.. If the mother is around she will continously lick the baby's face.. This is to help with the eyes opening & get the mater out.. Now for yours see a Vet & he will give you some cream to rub on the eyes.. I have never heard of warm milk = but soft cloth with warm water works good too.. Good Luck & keep us posted.. Happy Easter