PDA

View Full Version : If everything goes well...

M&M's Mommy
04-04-2007, 06:43 PM
we would be moving into our first home next month!. :D

It's an exciting yet very stressful time for us. I'm so used to the worries-free, carefree & comfortable lifestyle when it comes to the financial (Right now we live in a tiny studio, so our rent is low, and all utilities are included!) - now that will change drastically. We'll have to live on pay-check-to-pay-check, save on anything & everything, and probably wouldn't be able to afford any vacations for a while. God forbits, if something happens to the M&M&M that requires extensive vet care, I'd be facing a very difficult financial situation.

But, hubby and I have been dreaming of buying our own house for a while, and it seems like we've found it. It is just a bit too scary to think that after putting down the down payment, our checking/saving accounts balance would be Zero!.

We have been house hunting since last October, and have looked at so many houses, but none of them felt right until we walked into this one... So, please send all the good lucks our way..

Since this will be our first time buying a house. Is there anything we should be on the look out for?

GrabaLab
04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
How exciting for you. Congratulations!! I still remember when we bought our very first house oh so many years ago!! Bless your heart, good luck!!

Freedom
04-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Exciting AND nerve wracking, eh? I remember, bought my first - and only - house 4 years back. I STILL can't believe it some days! I had lived in 4 different apartments over 16 years.

Use your realtor and your lawyer; the realtor is already paid so make him / her work for it. Don't hesitate to ask a THING! The lawyer, well, this is NOT the place to save money. In the long run, it pays off.

I'm not sure where youa re at. East of the Mississippi, lawyers are used lots in home buying. West of the Miss., lawyers are not used. So if you in an area where they are not used, that is OK. But USE your realtor!

All of my apts., the rent included all the utilities, too. Boy, was I bowled over by the mail the first 3 months. Electric, gas, cable TV, ISP, telephone - local and long distance, real estate tax, water and sewer, home owners insurance, AND the mortgage payment! I found it easiest to put the bills on direct debit, as many as I could anyhow. Can't do that for the mortgage. And it seemed they all came at different times of the month and were due on different dates. Getting those bill payments automated helped me a lot.

If you are planning to paint any of the rooms, do that before you move in if at all possible. Especially if you are painting yourself! It is SO much easier; wish I had. I actually carried the house and my apartment for 2 months to get everything organized. (Closed Nov 1, moved by Dec 31) But that was because the house was closer to a "fixer upper" and needed some work done before we COULD move in. Just wish I had known to be painting while the contractor was doing the other stuff.

My house is 1.5 miles from the apartment I was living in. So I moved almost everything myself and the last minute hired movers for 4 hours to move the big things. That worked out very well. Finished moving smaller stuff over the next few days after that.

There's a few things you can double up on at the start, it will work it's way out in a few months. Things like toilet paper, paper towels, even some cleaning supplies. You have them already at the apt., yeah, but just buy some for the house. That way you aren't haulling them back and forth a thousand times as you clean out the apartment. Also think about a few towels so you can shower at either place. Moving can be dirty work!

That's all I can think of just now.

Freedom
04-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah, there will be a few things you will have to buy as a home owner. This time of year, you will need a lawn mower! Maybe even some lawn chairs. (My apt. had a balcony and I had 2 so I was OK.)

Daisy and Delilah
04-04-2007, 08:53 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's wonderful--I know you'll enjoy your new place. We'll just think positive thoughts about the 3M's. They will all be the picture of health :)

I love your siggy! :)

Karen
04-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Do make sure you have an inspection done before you sign any papers. You do not want any "surprises" after you own the place.

Talk to your future neighbors if you can, see what you can find out about the area and even the house. Water in the basement, etc. are often things neighbors have in common or know about each others' homes.

When packing for the move, stock up on paper towels. Wrap all your dishes in paper towel instead of newspaper, so you won't need to wash them again before you use them. And trust me, you will use up the paper towels when unpacking and settling in!

Before the move, the big day, corral M&M&M, and maybe even drop them off at a friend's house, or a relative's house. It will make everything far less stressful, and even if you *think* you can shut them all in one room during the move, trust me, someone's gonna open that door by accident, and you'd be better off forestalling tragedy.

lizbud
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, you've already been given some great advice, so I'll just wish you
luck on your move into the new place. :)

p.s. Just thought of one thing. Try your best to save some money(even if it's
as little as 5 or 10 dollars) every month for (in case) money. You'd be suprised
how it adds up.

cyber-sibes
04-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Congrats, having your own house is so nice! If your realtor offers home buyers insurance, you might want to get it or make it part of the deal. It covers your heating, cooling, water, (maybe even appliances, I don't recall) so if anything happens in those first few months, it's not going to come out of your pocket.

Also as first time homebuyers, you get some additional tax breaks - look up info on the web.