PDA

View Full Version : Coyote in a Chicago Quiznos

cassiesmom
04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Coyote caught at downtown Quiznos
By Paul Meincke

April 3, 2007 - An uninvited guest disrupted business at a Loop sub shop Tuesday afternoon. A coyote wandered into a Quiznos sandwich shop and took a seat in the beverage cooler. That sent all the customers out the door.

We've had coyotes on the breakwater. We've had coyotes in the river. We've had coyotes in backyards. This, however, may be the first coyote to ever walk into a Quiznos in the Loop and stay a spell, about 40 minutes.

The day was nice. The front door at 37 E. Adams had been propped open and in walked the coyote. At first the workers thought "it's a dog." Then someone said it looks like a wolf. But a coyote it is indeed.

The manager assures us the visit was not part of marketing a new sandwich.

"The coyote just came in and tried to jump over the cooler," said Bina Patel, restaurant manager.

"It didn't make any sounds, just tried to get. Apparently it was scared," said Ray Zabala, restaurant employee.

The coyote chose to settle in next to the Gatorade in a front cooler -- perhaps because it felt good on a leg wound that was apparent. But then, where else do you sit when you're a four-legged creature in a sandwich shop, and dozens of people are standing outside looking in the window at you and taking your picture with their cell phones.

"This one will definitely go down to be remembered forever. A coyote in downtown Chicago," said Rick Torres, restaurant employee.

Despite its failed attempt to leap the sandwich counter, which might have yielded a food bonanza, the coyote was quite passive -- until animal control arrived with pole hook. This is never a fun way to leave a restaurant, but leave the coyote must -- off to get checked out by the city's Animal Control vets.

Mr. Coyote is believed to be about a year old, 35 pounds. The vets think he may have just wandered away from his family. He is in good health, and he will be released, as are all Chicago urban transplanted coyotes, to the Flint Creek Wildlife center in northern Lake County.

DrKym
04-03-2007, 07:01 PM
WTG!!! very cool and hope he gets at least a free tshirt for Quznos for his free advertising ;)

Edwina's Secretary
04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
He prefers Quiznos to Subway????....guess he likes his sandwiches grilled.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What kind of sandwich did he order? :D :D :D

columbine
04-03-2007, 07:33 PM
The manager assures us the visit was not part of marketing a new sandwich. Nonsense! $20 says that there's a Southwestern Grilled Roadrunner with Cactus Relish in the offing!

Beep beep, Columbine

Suki Wingy
04-03-2007, 08:21 PM
wow! My stepdad saw one jump our fence and Niño chased it back out of our backyard a few years back.

Alysser
04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow, that's pretty bizarre. I'm glad Mr. Coyote will be released where he belongs though.

Suki Wingy
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
on second thought, I hope he ate the songe monkeys- bleh

Daisy and Delilah
04-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Nonsense! $20 says that there's a Southwestern Grilled Roadrunner with Cactus Relish in the offing!

Beep beep, Columbine

LOL :) :D :)

Kfamr
04-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Just saw this on the news. Poor thing looked so scared.

Reachoutrescue
04-03-2007, 10:46 PM
That is so CRAZY! Pretty cool though! Thank goodness they will be releasing him.

crow_noir
04-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Coyote caught at downtown Quiznos
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5179979
This one has a slideshow! (And it's quick loading. I'm on dial-up and the pictures don't take long at all.)

Coyote caught in downtown Quizno's
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/325135,coyote03.article

Coyote visits Loop restaurant but doesn't eat
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070403coyote,1,351721.story?track=rss
Has a picture pre-transport.

kimlovescats
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
He just made a wrong turn, he was meaning to go a couple of stores down to the Dunkin Donuts! :p

Poor little fella ... he is gorgeous! I'm glad he was young or else he might not have been so timid!

BCollie_Kelly
04-04-2007, 11:52 AM
A wrong turn indeed! Poor guy must have really been scared!

lizbud
04-04-2007, 12:10 PM
I saw the video of him on TV. Poor guy did look pitiful. :( They had an
article in the tribune with asking readers to respond with what the coyote
was thinking.

What was that coyote thinking?
Posted by Phil Vettel at 10:15 a.m. CDT

Top Five Things the Loop Coyote Was Thinking:

(That would be the coyote who wandered into a Quizno's shop in the Loop on Tuesday)

"Quizno's? Ah, crap, I thought this was a Subway!"

"Can someone please direct me to Howl at the Moon?"

"Why do I fall for the 'we'll meet you in the Loop' gag every time?"

"If I hear one more 'Coyote Ugly' joke I'm going to bite somebody."

"This town could really use a Wolfie's."

Bloggers: Add your own coyote line here

in News, Phil Vettel, Restaurants | Permalink
Comments
So what does a guy have to do to get service here, howl?

Posted by: CarlG | Apr 4, 2007 10:46:19 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can they POSSIBLY be out of Diet Coke twice in one week...

Posted by: chris | Apr 4, 2007 11:10:22 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cassiesmom
04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
The coyote got relocated to the suburbs... I just want to know where he started out and how he ended up in downtown Chicago!?

Coyote that walked into sandwich shop moved to suburbs

By Michelle S. Keller
Tribune staff reporter

April 4, 2007, 12:50 PM CDT

Maybe he'll like the northwest suburbs better.

The coyote that walked into a downtown Chicago submarine shop Tuesday afternoon was to be taken today to the Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation refuge in Barrington, where he may be released later in the day.

Officials were fairly confident he won't return downtown, but no one can be really sure.

They named the animal "Adrian" after the employee of the city's Animal Care and Control department who watched him overnight. The coyote was sequestered from the facility's dog and cat population.

"We're not inoculating him, and we don't want any disease," department director Anne Kent at a news conference and send-off of the animal at the Animal Care and Control facility on the 2700 block of South Western Avenue.

Adrian was the third coyote captured in Chicago in recent weeks.

He spent the night quietly in the back of his cage, dining on cat food.

Adrian had startled customers of the Quiznos restaurant at 37 E. Adams St. by walking in, past an open door, and plopping himself down in an open soda pop cooler.

No humans were injured during the incident, which drew spectators with camera phones as well as TV station camera crews before Animal Control officers arrived to take the animal away.

This morning, employees of the Quiznos visited the coyote, bringing him a prime rib sandwich on garlic bread. But Animal Care and Control veterinarians rejected the offering.

"I understand," Bina Patel, manager of the sandwich shop, said today. "There are no prime ribs out in the wild."

Adrian weighs about 30 pounds and is believed to be about a year old. Kent said he may recently have become separated from his mother – hence, his urge to roam.

About 10 to 15 coyotes are captured every year in the city, she said.

"It was nice having him as a guest," Patel said. "He just decided to walk in. He hung out in the refrigerator. We had two regular customers who just kept on eating."

The Quiznos was shut down after the incident and sanitized per Health Department instructions. It reopened as normal this morning.

The store donated $1,000 to Animal Care and Control for taking good care of Adrian.

cassiesmom
04-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Pretty funny one-liner about this from the Chicago Tribune Web site: "A coyote showing up at Quizno's is about as rare as a World Series at Wrigley Field."

mugsy
04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
As they dragged him out of the store...that made me mad, but, I'm glad the little guy is going to be safe. I wonder why they didn't give him a rabies shot...I assume it has something to do with a different vaccine because of the different species (or at least sub species).

lizbud
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
As they dragged him out of the store...that made me mad, but, I'm glad the little guy is going to be safe.

I noticed that too Molly. :( He could have been more gentle with him.
I am glad he will be released & not put down.

Ginger's Mom
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Yes, I felt so sorry for him the way they dragged him out. You would have thought they would have tried to tranquilize him. I think that it is nice that Quizno's is donating money to the animal shelter for the care of Adrian. After all they did lose business for the rest of the day and had the sanitizing expenses.