PDA

View Full Version : Found a dead dog.

Canis-Lupess
04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
I took our Jess for a walk this evening and decided to go a different way for a change. I came to a small body of water that forms mainly in winter or if it's been wet enough. It dries out during long hot dry spells. Anyway, I found our Jess sniffing a dead creature laying at the side of the water and then realised it was a dog.
It was a terrier type with a docked tail, was black in colour. It was starting to decompose around it's muzzle so you could see it's teeth but it's body was still intact. It was soaked so I don't know whether it had been in the water or not. We did have some rain last night but, otherwise, it has been dry recently and I doubt this dog has been dead that long.
It looked like a young dog judging by it's teeth and it didn't seem too thin or anything. Looked like it was well fed.
There was no collar or anything.

In all the years I've walked down the fields and I've come across dead cats sometimes or dead wild creatures but never a dog. It was quite disturbing to see and very unusual. :(

lute
04-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm so sorry you had to see this poor dog. I hope the poor thing didn't suffer. :( RIP unknown dog.

buttercup132
04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
:( What a horrible experience. RIP little dog.

pitc9
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Oh how sad.... the poor thing...
RIP pup. :(

Suki Wingy
04-03-2007, 01:38 PM
check lost ads to see if perhaps the owner is still looking for him/her. :(

elizabethann
04-03-2007, 03:26 PM
That's so sad. :(

Jeannie.
04-03-2007, 04:56 PM
:( Oh my goodness thats so sad, poor thing....

Freedom
04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
That is so sad. Do you have an animal control officer you can call? RIP little terrier doggie.

Canis-Lupess
04-03-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in a deceased dog.

A lad who trains at my martial arts school works on the phones for the RSPCA and I'll see him tomorrow evening. I'll ask him what he'd do if somebody phoned up to report a dead dog.

lute
04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in a deceased dog.

A lad who trains at my martial arts school works on the phones for the RSPCA and I'll see him tomorrow evening. I'll ask him what he'd do if somebody phoned up to report a dead dog.
i think what they mean is do you have an animal cntrol to call and pick up the dog? If the dog died from a illness and some animal comes along and eats it, it could infect more animals, etc.

ComedyDevil
04-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Youre in England right? Dog warden should come out and pick it up. If not, try RSPCA, or the council as a last resort. Poor pup. I hope the owner's traced, they're probably still looking for it :(

BCollie_Kelly
04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
How sad :(
Rest in Peace, little dog.

BC_MoM
04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
That's so sad. Judging by how you described it, it sounds like he was somebody's pet. :(

Canis-Lupess
04-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, thats what I thought.

We do have a dog warden. Maybe I'll try them. The dog is down the fields though but you can drive to within about 100 yards of where it is. There is a road nearby but certainly not close enough to warrant me believing it was run over.

Chilli
04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Aww, poor little guy. :(
I remember about a year ago we were walking through a field and found a dead calf in the water that had fallen down a slope and drowned to death. It was really sad and its so hard to get that image out of your head.

RIP unkown dog. :(

Canis-Lupess
04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm thinking this dog is a bitch. I didn't think to actually take note of it's gender at the time but it was laying on it's side and I don't remember seeing a penis so I think this dog might have been female. Thinking about it, it had a more feminine type physique as well rather than the more masculine physique of a male dog.

It still makes me wonder how it died. What if it was killed by some cruel geezer? Maybe it was drowned in the water and then dragged out? :(
If it were my dog, it would be awful to have to ID it. I can't imagine having to look at our Mist once she had started to decompose.

lute
04-03-2007, 07:26 PM
It still makes me wonder how it died. What if it was killed by some cruel geezer? Maybe it was drowned in the water and then dragged out? :(
If it were my dog, it would be awful to have to ID it. I can't imagine having to look at our Mist once she had started to decompose.
but if her owners are looking for her, it may help them find closure.

Canis-Lupess
04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello

I phoned the dog warden and they sent two guys from streetpride out. I described where the dog was but I knew they'd probably still have difficulty so I took our Jess that way again and kept an eye out for them. Sure enough they turned up. At first, they were going in the right direction but then I saw them turn back to the truck. I had to leg it down the hill I was on and round the bottom past where the dog was hoping to meet them before I noticed them turning back so had to run faster. When I got close to where they'd pulled up before, they'd pulled a little further along the road and were looking in the wrong spot.
I shouted a few times before they heard me and asked them if they were there looking for a deceased dog and informed them they were looking in the wrong spot.
These young teenage girls were sitting talking in a field nearby and when they heard "Dead Dog", they were there like bolts of lightening, haha.
Anyway, I took the guys down to where the dog was and the girls tagged along. Today, it is really warm and sunny and the smell was definitely worse than yesterday which was overcast and quite cold.
I stayed a few yards away whilst the two guys pondered over how they were going to get the dog into the yellow bag they'd brought to put it in. When they did get it in, the smell suddenly increased tenfold. It was awful.

The teenage girls then informed me that they'd seen the dog previously and that it was over the other side of where the water was. Apparently, the plastic pallete type thingy that was half in the water next to the dog was floating in the middle of the pond and the dog was laying on it like a raft effect. Some lads thought it was a black bag and so dragged it out and found it was a dog. That makes it sound all the more sinister as to how the dog met it's end.

Anyway, the guys took the dog away saying they'd probably send this one straight to the crematorium because of it's state. A newly dead dog would be frozen for a month and then sent to the crematorium.

Our poor old Jess was shattered after that dashing about after me in the heat. It was a slow walk home, lol.

lute
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Poor dog. Atleat she won't be sitting there rotting. :(

ramanth
04-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Poor pup. :( I hope if she had owners, they are found and told.

Reachoutrescue
04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Poor pup. If he was leashed this would not have happened. Hopefully they can track down the owners so they can give him a proper "good bye".