PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for escape artist cat....

Maresche
04-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Hello all,

My husband and I are putting our home on the market in the next few weeks and I'd really appreciate some thoughts and advice on keeping our grey tabby, Terra in the house, or at least fast to find if she should get out.

Terra is a very tiny cat (7lbs at 7 years old), very fast and very sneaky. She'll do anything to explore the outside, especially now that the weather is getting warmer. Hubby and I just know her tendency to dart out the door and we keep an eye out and prepare to grab her every time we open the door (she's already made the dart twice the past 3 weeks).

I can't trust anyone else will be that careful, despite how many times we ask visitors to be careful. We can't keep her locked up during showings and open houses because the point is to see the whole house. I can't keep her locked up in a cat carrier for hours on end either. We may not always get advanced warning either to pack her up and take her with us. Is a collar with our phone number and a microchip the best we can do?

Our other cat, Misao, is terrified of the outdoors. She'll sit by and open door and scream until it is closed, so we aren't worried about her much.

Thanks in advance!

wolf_Q
04-03-2007, 12:50 PM
The only thing I could think of is to put her in a large dog crate. Get one big enough to hold food/water and a litter box. She'll probably be unhappy about it, but its better than her escaping.

Laura's Babies
04-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I agree. Either that or have a friend keep her until all this is over with?

But for one that will dart out, I would have her microchipped for safety even if I think I have resolved that problem. That would be the only sure way to prove she is yours if someone else claimed she was theirs.

lvpets2002
04-03-2007, 04:04 PM
;) I will have to agree with the other two wolf_Q & Laura on thier advice.. Good Luck

catmandu
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Thats A Tough Problem.
I Had To Have An Enclosure Built So The Found Cats Would Not Escape Through The Front Door Especially As Tubby 2 Is No Longer Here.
Can You Put Her In The Basement , Or Will She Cry To Get Out.
I Pray That You Sell Your House Very Soon.

Freedom
04-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Sounds like you have 2 situations, open house and showing.

For the open house, if you are leaving, can you take her? If you are staying, can you keep her in the car, with the windows just a crack for air?

Showings are more difficult. I take it that you leave the house in the morning for work, and the cats are both in the house as usual. Then during the day with no advance warning for you, some realtor shows up with a potential who wants to see it. That is the more difficult situation, as you aren't even there. For that, the best thing would be if she can stay with a family member or friend.

Microchipping will help some, but that is't fool proof either.

Maresche
04-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Thank you for the ideas everyone.

The Dog crate sounds like a good idea and I have an Aunt who may let me borrow one of hers.

Taking her to a friend's house while the house is on the market isn't really an option for two reasons: A) the home market in Cleveland is terrible and we're looking at a long wait before a buyer steps up and B) Terra is a behavioral urinater. When her situation changes dramatically she starts peeing everywhere. Nothing helps except putting the situation back to normal or waiting it out until the new routine is normal to her. I can't do that to a friend. Showing the house and moving will be stressful enough.

Medusa
04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Yes, a large dog crate sounds like a good solution. And when you're at home, a squirt gun if she gets too close to the door.