PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Poll

Karen
04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Just running a quick poll to see if people think having a new forum for the Pet Food Recall is a good idea. We'd put it down in Other, below General, because it deals with all kinds of pets, not just dogs or just cats. This poll will be up for a day, 24 hours.

If we create a new forum, I'd move all the applicable posts from Dog General, Cat General, Cat Health, etc. into it.

wolf_Q
04-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't think a new forum is necessary....I think a sticky thread or an announcement would be enough. The actual sticky thread could be in general (since it's not just one type of pet) but there could be a sticky linking to that thread in dog general, cat general, pet general, etc. I don't think we need all of the previous threads, just a list (edited and updated) of all the foods on the recall and some links with more info. But I really don't care either way.

catnapper
04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes, good idea.

Anything to avoid another sticky! I hate stickies and never, ever notice them anymore because I always see them and I look below them.

lvpets2002
04-03-2007, 12:43 PM
:) I voted yes.. But this idea from wolf_Q sounds good..
I don't think a new forum is necessary....I think a sticky thread or an announcement would be enough. The actual sticky thread could be in general (since it's not just one type of pet) but there could be a sticky linking to that thread in dog general, cat general, etc. But I really don't care either way.

buttercup132
04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think a new forum is necessary....I think a sticky thread or an announcement would be enough. The actual sticky thread could be in general (since it's not just one type of pet) but there could be a sticky linking to that thread in dog general, cat general, pet general, etc. I don't think we need all of the previous threads, just a list (edited and updated) of all the foods on the recall and some links with more info. But I really don't care either way.I agree with this.

Lobodeb
04-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't think a new forum is necessary....I think a sticky thread or an announcement would be enough. The actual sticky thread could be in general (since it's not just one type of pet) but there could be a sticky linking to that thread in dog general, cat general, pet general, etc. I don't think we need all of the previous threads, just a list (edited and updated) of all the foods on the recall and some links with more info. But I really don't care either way.

Me too.

Daisy and Delilah
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM

I agree with this also. :)

DrKym
04-03-2007, 01:02 PM

I agree.

elizabethann
04-03-2007, 01:12 PM
What's a sticky?

I said yes because I think we're only hearing the tip of the iceburg. I think there will be more information to come....like other foods being recalled....what really caused this recall....who is going to pay for this.....what will be done to prevent this in the future....etc.

Just my .02 cents.

elizabethann
04-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh...and a petition. I'm still looking for a petition to sign! I think the FDA needs a separate fully staffed department to regulate the pet food industry. It's a multi-billion dollar industry and it needs to be regulated correctly.

If this were a baby food recall, we'd have more information by now and we'd know exactly what foods/treats were effected and who/what caused them to be recalled.

Grrrr......

finn's mom
04-03-2007, 01:20 PM

I chose other because I think this sounds like a good idea.

There are a lot of "yes" votes, but seems like a lot of people are saying this sounds like a good idea.

Zippy
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I voted other because seen the food recall keeps getting bigger and bigger it might be a good idea to have another forum but then I think that would be to many forums.

Freckles
04-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I voted yes to Mayor Karen's original concept.

Kfamr
04-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think a new forum all together is necressary. A stickied thread each in Dog General, Cat General, and General would be sufficient.

Maybe a link to each thread on the main POTD page -
DOTD links to Dog general
COTD links to Cat General
POTD links to General.

In Dog General, there could be a list of all of the affected treats and foods for dogs.

The same from Cat General, for cats.

General can have a link to menufoods.com, and the specific Dog/Cat stickies.

I'm on a few other forums who have close to 50 or so forums. It's very annoying, hence the reason I do not go there often. However, PT has been very "slim" and organized in forums. This recall won't be here forever, so there's no reason to has a seperate forum for it.

If someone creates a new thread you can just add it to the sticky like you did the graphics/signatures threads.

Randi
04-03-2007, 01:31 PM
I also agree with Wolf_Q. We could keep adding new Forums for this and that, and end up with lots of Forums. I think a new Forum should be for something permanent.

However, the subject of Pet Food Recall is very important at the moment, so a sticky may be a good idea. Then again, if this subject keeps popping up, a new Forum may be in order. ;)

Laura's Babies
04-03-2007, 01:41 PM
My thoughts are this...

HOPEFULLY, this recall is just a temporary thing that will pass and for those that wouldn't go to another forum, they may miss something very important. I think new forums should be left for permenant things.

Cinder & Smoke
04-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think a new forum is necessary ...
I think a sticky thread or an announcement would be enough.

I don't think we need all of the previous threads ...

The heart of the problem is "ALL the previous threads"!

I jump on my soapy box again ...
When something "happens" - be it a Pet Emergency or a Nationwide Food Crisis ...
Some of us can't resist the *urge* to tell the world with a post.
Well, that's GREAT - create an Interesting and Informative Summary of The Problem
and use that as your thread Title. TELL a short story with the title - a good title
will ensure a lot of folks will read your message.

And if YOU think something should be "added", or YOU find "additional information"
on that same general subject,
PLEASE, Please resist the temptation to *>start ANOTHER new thread<* :eek:

ADD your new info to the existing thread!
* Everyone following the thread will see it
* It will <bump> up to the TOP of the thread lists
* It will increase the "replies" count - automatically increasing readership/interest
* Newest "stuff" will always be the most recent posted ... you don't *HAVE TO* read it all

If you've noticed ... the Pet Food Recall topic now has DOZENS of threads,
scattered all over the Board, with many repeats of the same info. :(

A "NEW Forum" won't eliminate this problem - better posting habits will.

Same Philosophy applies to more personal posts ... an all too frequent series >>>
* HELP - Urgent - Please Read ... story told of Fluffie "limping"
* Fluffie hurt her paw ... story continues (NEW thread) of hangnail discovered
* What should I do ... asks if PTS would be required , no reference to previous threads
* My Vet is closed - Oh Help!
* (A week later) We're home from the Vet
* (A month later) She's still limping ...

OK, a lil exaggerated, but not by much!

Pick a GOOD Title - tell a little "story" with the title ...
then STICK WITH IT and Keep it Going!

Our oldie of "Cinder wants to keep the Stray she "found"...
ref: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=3850
started on January 22, 2001 and ran for 2 1/2 YEARS on the SAME Title!

Catty1
04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Phred - I agree with you. I also think it is easier to changing posting options than people! :D

How about combining "Nutrition" or "Feeding" with the title of the Health forum?
A sticky could go in for Food Alerts only, and general health and feeding threads could carry on.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Randi
04-03-2007, 02:45 PM
If you've noticed ... the Pet Food Recall topic now has DOZENS of threads, scattered all over the Board, with many repeats of the same info.

A "NEW Forum" won't eliminate this problem - better posting habits will.

Same Philosophy applies to more personal posts ... an all too frequent series >>>
* HELP - Urgent - Please Read ... story told of Fluffie "limping"
* Fluffie hurt her paw ... story continues (NEW thread) of hangnail discovered
* What should I do ... asks if PTS would be required , no reference to previous threads
* My Vet is closed - Oh Help!
* (A week later) We're home from the Vet
* (A month later) She's still limping ...

OK, a lil exaggerated, but not by much!

Pick a GOOD Title - tell a little "story" with the title ...
then STICK WITH IT and Keep it Going!
Phred, I SO agree with this! And yes, "Cinder wants to keep the Stray she "found" was a looong thread, and easy to remember the title of, because it was running for so long. Also easier for newer members to do a search, once you know the thread title, or if it has lots of replies. :)

If there MUST be another Forum, I quite like Catty1's idea.

Freedom
04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
:) I voted yes.. But this idea from wolf_Q sounds good..

ME TOO!!!

I am definitely one who has been posting recall notices in multiple places. Like this morning's salmonella recall. First, the existing threads were about the Menu Foods recall, so that didn't seem a proper fit. Second, this one covered treats for dogs, cats, AND FERRETS. The prior ones did not impact any other pets, that I remember anyhow.

Where the heck was I supposed to put it? I am not apologiizing for putting it in three places; I have said else where, I would love to have ONE place to put that stuff. That's why I agree that we need a place.

In any recall posts I have made, I have always included a link to either a news story or the food maker's web site. I don't just post and expect folks to take my word for it. I think this is important for however we do this going forward.

AND, the news today also said that there will be more foods added to the wheat gluten list, as more companies finish their research. So yup, everyone who said they thing this is going to continue, I agree with that too.

OK, Mayor, put on your thinking cap and figure out how we can make this easier on all of us! :D

Blue_Frog
04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
I think that the issue at this point is the equivalent of trying to close the barn door once the horses have bolted ... there already are -dozens- of threads spread out all over the different boards, covering all the different recalls. And, as all the different manufacturers start to scrutinize their products over the course of the next days, weeks or even months, i fully expect to see more recalls happen.

I think that the goal of a new forum, be it permanent or temporary, is to neatly consolidate all the existing threads into one area.

If we consolidate all the existing threads into one thread, and close all the other threads, it may become overwhelming as people have to read through pages and pages of information to get the one piece they are looking for, depending on how long this whole issue continues. It may also cause confusion as many recalls end up in the same thread, which may or may not pertain to your pets needs. Having clearly defined threads for each recall, with proper titles and the animals affected may be a cleaner way to do this.

I am personally for the mayors idea to start a new area for these recalls - i believe it would be a much neater and more organized way of doing things.

kimlovescats
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, good idea.

Anything to avoid another sticky! I hate stickies and never, ever notice them anymore because I always see them and I look below them.

I tend to agree with Catnapper. Of course, I wouldn't have put it so "strongly"! :eek: :p ;) (love ya, Kim!)

I vote for the forum, because these sorts of things are likely to crop up from time to time ... not just for food, but other pet products, like the Hartz flea products for example! ;)

BC_MoM
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, good idea.

lol, Same here.

Roxyluvsme13
04-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Stickies are somewhat annoying, but I'd rather have a million stickies than a whole new forum. I also agree on the fact of bumping up old threads and not making a new one everytime something new comes up. It just clutters up board space and isn't necessary. So, I voted No. We don't need another forum, just one general sticky in each of the main sections would be just fine.

mike001
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm happy with things the way they are but if everyone is in favor of the new forum I can be just as happy with that too.

lizbud
04-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree with this also. :)

I voted Other for the same reasons.

Hopefully recalls won't become a regular occurrence. :(

chocolatepuppy
04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
My thoughts are this...

HOPEFULLY, this recall is just a temporary thing that will pass and for those that wouldn't go to another forum, they may miss something very important. I think new forums should be left for permenant things.

I agree with this and I pray this will soon be over.I'd rather have it as a sticky.

Sophist
04-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I voted no, but on second thought, maybe 'other' is a good answer.

Maybe a spot for 'emergency' or urgent news updates, like pet food or med recalls, bills that would potentially cause big changes in pet laws that you'll occassionally see petitions floating around here for, precautions to take for each new 'disease-of-the-week' scare, etc.

You know, like this big scare, before that the greenie debacle, each BSL thing that pops up, one spot for all big urgent public alerts that aren't more appropriate in other spots (like urgent rescues would still go in rescues, and community issues would still go elsewhere)

Just something that popped into my head two seconds ago, not sure how much of a nightmare it would be to implement. Maybe you already have something similar that has just never caught my eye.

Craftlady
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
my first post (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=124833)
I started the question about having a forum for this very important topic.
I voted for a special forum although in my post above link, I thought a sticky would do. As this whole mess has expanded and has a life of its own, there is to much important information out there to get lost all over the board.
As far as posting to much in one area, unfortunately with time restrants of peoples daily lives it's easier to post "new" then to hunt down a thread that you want to reply to.

Almita
04-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I said no to leave the things how they are.

kitten645
04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I say yes as I think this will be an ongoing problem unfortunatlely :( It would be a good thing to have somewhere to go for this specifically as it seems to be taking up alot of posts in General/Cat and Dog.

Kfamr
04-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I had an idea (while in the middle of throwing out treats & baking home made dog treats) - instead of making a forum or what not, how about a "Current Events" section in other. This forum can include pet recalls, human recalls, news stories, etc.

:confused:

Sophist
04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I had an idea (while in the middle of throwing out treats & baking home made dog treats) - instead of making a forum or what not, how about a "Current Events" section in other. This forum can include pet recalls, human recalls, news stories, etc.

:confused:
:p If only someone had suggested this a page before !!! ;)

lol

crow_noir
04-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I still think it is a good idea to just do a sticky.

Though, as Sophist suggested in the other thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=124833) A forum for all of this emergency stuff would be a great idea.

I'm fine with any of the above... SO long as something is done. This was needed for a long time.

Also, since not all people seem to know how to post updates in the original threads I think it is a good idea. It is so annoying when people post updates with out ANY reference to what they were talking about. I have to deal with this on a local rescue board. Even the mods post new threads instead of posts in the original threads. Uggg! I wish i had my mod status back there. (I was a sub moderator, but we had some security problems and now the settings are all messed up and the Admin can't figure it out.)

I guess that is why i prefer Sticky over having a new forum... People are still going to do new threads in the new forum.

Idea if the new forum is put in place... Maybe when a certain subject is going on it could be stickied, but if it is resolved it could be unstickied? Maybe that would encourage people to post updates IN the thread?

crow_noir
04-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Exactly! I felt so confused too! It fit everywhere and nowhere all at the same time.

I also agree about linking. Not only that, but it makes it a lot more legal if you want to include any quotes. (Copyrights and stuff.) I just call it common courtesy. Besides, sometimes the original article has extra links and stuff. Maybe someone wants to write to thank the paper for covering the story?

I get so frustrated when one of the mods on a local board copy and pastes the article and gives no indication where it came from. No link, no writer's name, no copyright!

Where the heck was I supposed to put it?... That's why I agree that we need a place...

...I have always included a link to either a news story or the food maker's web site. I don't just post and expect folks to take my word for it. I think this is important for however we do this going forward.

crow_noir
04-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Sadly, even though I stated I'm in favor of stickies... I'm the same way too. I never notice the obvious on the internet anymore. Yellow banners, stickies, etc. It's all overused.

That's why i asked yesterday if an announcement option was available to the moderators on Pet Talk. For some reason i do take note of Announcements on message boards still.

Whisk_Luva
04-04-2007, 05:14 AM
I like the idea... I may not live in America but I like to know whats going on over there and how there solving it. Also so I know if it ever happens here in England I know what to do.

elizabethann
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Still don't know what a sticky is. :(

cali
04-04-2007, 08:34 AM
I vote yes. I dont like the idea of a sticky because as some other have said, I dont notice stickies anymore, my eyes austomaticly go below them, I never bother to look at a sticky.

cali
04-04-2007, 08:34 AM
a sticky is one of those posts at the top of a forum that dont slide down.

Alysser
04-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I agree with Wolf_Q wholeheartedly, but I'm confused on one thing. Will the new forum be used for the PETFOOD RECALL only? Or will it be on all of pet nutrition? If it's only for the recall, I really see no point in the new forum because the pet food recall will end eventually and the forum won't need to be used anymore. Also, pet nutrition falls under the catergory of health, so why can't we just continue to use the health forums?

Logan
04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Karen, I didn't vote, but I think if there was a special board or forum to go to in order to get the most up to date information, it would be worth it. I have one howling cat who misses his wet food, and he would appreciate it if I had the most up to date information in order to know what in the world to buy for him. I know his dry food is safe, but I'm scared of the pouches, even if the Whiskas that he was getting isn't on the list.

Whatever you decide is fine with me.

Logan and Butter, who is so pitiful right now :p

Randi
04-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I can see the point of having a sub forum, as Kfamr and Crow Noir suggested. It's nice to have everything that belongs together in the same forum - and people would find what they're looking for, easier. A subtitle should describe what kind of threads posted in the forum, of course - like the others.

Concerning the problems mentioned in some of the above posts, I think it's a good idea if new members read the FAQ's. It seems that quite a few don't know how to Edit a post, but will post 2-3 posts right under each other. It all takes up space. Everyone should also know that it is possible to subscribe to a thread (no excuse for not finding it ;) ) - and that you can have 40 posts showing per page. Also, when people refer to a specific post, mention the post no. instead of saying "It's on page 3". It makes no sense.

Vette
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I also agree with Wolf_Q. We could keep adding new Forums for this and that, and end up with lots of Forums. I think a new Forum should be for something permanent.

Ditto

Blue_Frog
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I think when it all comes down to it, the best solution is the one that will be easiest for Karen and Paul to implement. If putting all the current threads for all the recalls into a new sub/child board within the Other category works the quickest and easiest, then that might be the best solution.

I dont know if thats any easier than weeding through the numerous threads in all the different boards (Dog, Cat, Pet and Other) having to do with all the different recalls, then choosing one to the master to sticky in each board is the best plan.

Kalei
04-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I voted no, I think it would be good as a sticky or like the others said about a the Current Events.:)

I like things the way they are, but whatever you decide I will always appreciate your decision:)