What do you think of this type of food?

http://www.precisepet.com/

Some other namebrands available in my area are:

Wellness
Felidae
Merrick

mruffruff
04-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Precise is the brand that our shelter/rescue sells and uses exclusively. It has a ranking equal to Nutro and some of the other brands, according to a study done by an independent group. (Forgot which one) :rolleyes:

The cost is about the same as Nutro. I've fed it to my dogs and cats, and they seem to do well on it. It can be hard to find. I think I'm going to check the ingredients. The shelter animals do very well on it.

At this point, it's hard to know what is safe!

mike001
04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
After this last catastophy I don't trust any brand of dog food.

catmandu
04-02-2007, 09:55 AM
The Found Cats like that but its more expensive than Nutro who have a lot of specials at Petcetera.
Its a great food.
The Animal Welfare will try and get me some Wysong at cost.
They all love that too.

Freedom
04-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Felidae and Merrick are excellent brands. Wellness and Precise I am not familiar with.

Basically you want to read the label. If it is all human grade ingredients, that is good. If there is little and no grains, which are fillers, that is good. SOmetimes you can easily get the info form their web site. Chicken Soup for the Dog / Cat Lover makes it clear on their main page that all their ingredients are human grade.

This web site gives lots of info and comparisons, and what to look for. I have gone deeper in than the main page, as this list is those foods with no preservatives. Precise foods IS ON THE LIST!

http://www.doberdogs.com/premium.html

Scooter's Mom
04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I feed my dog Merrick dry & wet foods. My kitties are eating canned fancy feast (please don't let it ever make that recall list) as well as canned Merrick... I cannot wait for the dry Merrick to come out - their website says "Spring 2007" so it should be almost anytime now.

I don't know much about the others, but I love the quality of Merrick.