PDA

View Full Version : For the second time in his short life, Hugito is rushed to the ER!

Lobodeb
04-01-2007, 11:09 PM
On Friday, we were doing the whole "no meat Catholic" thing. I gave Hugito some catfish mixed in his macaroni. He LOVED it! He gobbled it right up. Then, I notice that his skin is really red where the cheese sauce was on around his mouth, chin and neck. I figured his skin might be having a reaction to the fish. I tried getting him out of his highchair to get him clean up and BLAH! He starts throwing up! I took off his clothes to get him cleaned up and he's skin is beet red! He's allergic to the fish. Off to the ER we go.

I called his pediatrician on the way and she also suggests we get him to the ER. I was terrified that his throat was going to close as his eyes and lips were swelling something awful. I hauled a$& to the hospital. They took him in right away (I LOVE that hospital). His throat wasn't closing thank God, but he did break out in hives. He was totally covered in them within 30 minutes of eating the fish. They gave him some Benadryl and some steroids at first, but once they saw that his hives were getting worse, they gave him some epinephrine.

The whole time, my sweet little boy never bothered. He was still his happy little self except when they gave him his shot. As a matter of fact, he was jumping on the bed and cooing the entire time.

They watched him to make sure his throat didn't close, and they sent him home.

He's fine now, but most likely he'll be allergic to seafood his entire life. :(

Just thought you might want to know.

finn's mom
04-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Aw, that sucks. I'm glad you got him to the hospital, though! And, at least you know what he's allergic to. I'm sorry for poor Hugito!

Karen
04-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Better to find out now than later in life when you aren't around to notice the reaction. Hugito and I now share something in common, as I am also allergic to fish now. Thankfully in his case, he *may* grow out of it. As I developed the allergy as an adult, no such luck, but I can still hope.

In any case, if we're ever at a fish fry, I'll share my french fries with Hugito, and the rest of you can have our fish. Deal? ;)

caseysmom
04-01-2007, 11:25 PM
How scary, I could feel how you must have felt while reading your post. I have never heard of an allergy to fish, shellfish yes but not other fish. I would not have known what was happening.

Thank god our beautiful precious Hugito is okay.

krazyaboutkatz
04-02-2007, 12:19 AM
How scary!!!:eek: I'm glad that you reacted quickly and were able to take him to the ER. I'm also glad that he's now fine.

mrspunkysmom
04-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Glad everything is okay.

just a word of caution from someone that has allergies: did you cook or spice the catfish in anything unusual?
If not, then it's the catfish.

Reachoutrescue
04-02-2007, 12:48 AM
I am so glad your baby is okay. Thank goodness you found out now! Give him a big hug for me!

Karen
04-02-2007, 12:59 AM
A note to everyone who reads this: anything you eat can be a source of an allergic reaction, not just common things like shellfish and nuts or peanuts.

Speaking as someone who is allergic to as diverse items as celery and beef (among others) just because you've never heard of some being allergic to something doesn't mean you aren't!

Heck, I even sprung a new one on my well-experienced allergist. I am "allergic" to Sucralose, the artificial sweetener. She said that's nothing they could test for, even, as it doesn't have a "protien" that would cause an allergic reaction, but the symptoms I get after drinking anything with sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) in it perfectly matches other allergic reaction I have had.

Still glad our Hugito is okay, and momma was quick enough to spot the reaction and got him to the hospital in a timely fashion. I am also glad he lost none of his equanimity given the situation, and that he was still a happy baby through most of the ordeal. Do, please, give that boy a raspberry on the tummy for me, okay?

Sevaede
04-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Aww! Poor Hugito and family! :( We are all glad that he is okay, though! :D

Pam
04-02-2007, 05:05 AM
:eek: :eek: My heart was pounding as I read this. I am soooo glad your little sweetheart is OK.

[QUOTE=Karen]Better to find out now than later in life when you aren't around to notice the reaction. [/quote=Karen]

Karen is so right. Thank God this didn't happen when he was maybe a teenager and out with friends, etc. Good to know now! A friend of mine was never allergic to seafood and several years ago she was eating at a restaurant in Williamsburg, VA when the same thing happened as with Hugito. She was at the table when she broke out and her throat began to close up. She is fine today but has not eaten any seafood since then and never will. :eek:

chocolatepuppy
04-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Poor Hugito! And poor mommy, you must have been scared to death! I glad little Hugito is ok. :)

critter crazy
04-02-2007, 06:01 AM
Thank god Hugito is okay!! What a scare!!

Karen is so right, My niece is allergic to most things! she cannot eat out, at school, or even at a friends house as she has to be very carefull, something as simple as a friends birthday cake could spark off her allergies! Her mom has to make everything she eats by scratch. Her bigest issue is with anything made from soy!

Freedom
04-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Just thought you might want to know.

Of course we want to know! Hugito - and the other PT babies - are as much a par of PT as our pets!!

So glad this worked out as it did, with no lasting meds or treatments. Just avoid the seafoods. Quick action on your part, mom, good for you!

catnapper
04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Oh my goodness! what a scare. I was worked up just reading this, I can't imagine how you must have felt to see your baby having a reaction like that!

(I guess he'll now be a vegetarian during fridays in lent ;))

((((HUGS)))))

Laura's Babies
04-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I was on pins and needles reading of little hugo's experience. Isn't it amazing that he was so happy and playful during the whole thing! I would have thought he would have been itching like mad! GOOD JOB MOM!

4 Dog Mother
04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Thank God you noticed it right away, Deb. As so many have said allergies are a scary thing. And to see such a reaction happen so quickly had to be very scary. I am so glad you were able to get him to the ER asap.

As Karen has said you can be allergic to anything. I had some testing a few years ago and some of the stuff that showed up were interesting. Also interesting is that some I have very mild to almost no reaction to but put 2 or 3 together and then I get a reaction.

And Deb we are very interested in what goes on with Hugito - he is a PT baby after all!

Daisy and Delilah
04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
This is nothing but scary, Deb. How awful for you!! Poor little Hugito :( I'm so glad it all worked out for everybody. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

ramanth
04-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Poor little Hugito. I'm so glad he's okay!!

prechrswife
04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Poor thing. Glad he is okay. That is one of my biggest fears with Mary Joyce. Thankfully, she hasn't reacted to anything yet, though.

Lobodeb
04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I was (and am still) beating myself over the the head for giving him the fish in the first place, but as you've all said, better to learn his allergies now, when he's with me than with someone who isn't watching him like a hawk.

did you cook or spice the catfish in anything unusual?

No, just fish seasoning.

I hadn't heard of general seafood allergies, either. Just shell fish, but as others have said, I guess you can be allergic to anything. And luckilly, so far, he hasn't shown any other signs of other food allergies like eggs or peanuts.

Christiansmommy
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Scary! As a mom of a 5 1/2 year old and a 10 month old, I can completely sympathize with you!! These little ones sure can worry us Mommies!! Good thing you were there right away to notice it right away.

I suppose it is possible that since he is allergic to this, he could be more prone to have othe food allergies? I guess you'll have to keep a close eye on new foods introduced to him incase there are more allergies, but lets hope not :) Glad he is feeling good and back to normal now :)

cassiesmom
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Sweet Hugito! I am so glad you're okay and near a hospital your Mommy trusts! I guess this means you won't be having fish with your macaroni cheese in the future. Tell you what, I'll eat your fish and you can have my macaroni cheese.

pitc9
04-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear he's okay, I'm sorry to hear about his allergy.
My niece is allergic to tree nuts, I know how hard it is to watch what they eat to make sure they don't get sick!!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear the little guy is okay - maybe it is something he will grow out of

Husky_mom
04-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh my!! what a scare..... thank God heīs ok ....... and as said luckily you found out what heīs allergic to....... Iīm not allergic to fish but i just canīt eat it...... letīs hava a french fries party Hugito, Karen you are soooo invited ;)

Cataholic
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
WAH! How horribly scary, Deb. Thank God things are going to be fine.

Can Hugo still eat Goldfish crackers? :D

kimlovescats
04-02-2007, 11:56 AM
You must have been TERRIFIED!!!! :eek: :( Thank GOD you got him to the ER and he didn't suffer any worse than he did! Bless his little heart! I guess you are going to have to keep liquid Benadryl on hand at all times, especially whenever he tries a new food. I'm guessing that if he has a reaction, you could immediately give him a dose and then head to the ER!

Hugs to you and Hugito!
Kim

Jadapit
04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Poor little man! Its always so scary when something like that happens to our little ones. I know the fear you were feeling. Thank God, Hugito is ok! (((Hugs)))

Kater
04-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh my, how terrifying. I'm so glad he's ok!!!

luvofallhorses
04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Sorry I just now saw this! :o How scary for you both! :( I am so glad he is okay! :) (((HUGS))) to you and Hugito!