PDA

View Full Version : Would You Join Me?? (Re: Guts & Glory Walk)

NoahsMommy
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey PT Family!!!

As most of you know, I live with Crohn's Disease. Luckily, I'm in remission, but have to be very careful each day so that I stay that way. Even though in remission, I still have my "bad days", but keep positive and thouroughly enjoy my "good days" which, thankfully are more common than not now. Yay!! :)

In surfing the Crohn's & Colitis Website, I found these 'Guts & Glory 5K Walk/Runs' and I'm toying with the idea of forming a walking group...all money raised will go to Crohn's & Colitis Research.

I know that this group is fabulous and DOES actually produce results. At the beginning of this year, reseachers found and isolated the gene that causes not only IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease - which is Crohn's & Ulcerative Colitis), but ALL Inflammatory Disease such as Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc!!! All due to the money raised via CCFA.org!! This type of research helps not only IBD, but many, many other terrible diseases that so many people have to deal with daily - and many die from. Here is that press release: http://www.ccfa.org/about/press/il23

Anyway, the reason for this thread was to check interest in #1 any local Californians would like to join me on the walk - be in 'Team Kelly' and #2 is if anyone would be interested in sponsoring me/my team??

Please let me know what you think. The Walk is a 5K (about 3 miles) in Los Angeles on Sunday, August 26th. We'll be walking the UCLA campus, so that should be very cool! It starts at 7:00 a.m. so it should still be cool and not blazing...AND, UCLA's campus is FULL of old trees for lots of shade, it should prove to be a nice walk and day. :)

Thanks for reading this and letting me know what you think.

Links:
Direct to LA's Walk: http://ccfa.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=220382

The Route: http://www.ccfa.org/chapters/losangeles/media/pdf/Route%20Map.pdf

If I get the support I need, I'll create the Team and a website to keep everyone updated. Yay! I'm so excited...more so that I'm physically able to do this, I've always, always wanted to do this walk but have been much to ill to even think about it. I've grown up doing these types of walks, but for other organizations - now there is one that means the world to me, there really could be a cure at the rate they're going. Yay!!!

Love & Hugs,
Kelly :)

Rachel
04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Kelly, I'd be proud to make a donation in support of your walk. Kudos to you for your efforts.

NoahsMommy
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Wow, really??? Thank you so much!!! :)

I'm so excited about this, I have tears in my eyes!! Finally, something I can do again!!! YAY! :)

Thanks so much, (((((Rachel)))))!

Hugs,
Kelly

zippy-kat
04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Wish I were there to walk with you but I'll have to opt to donate instead.

Have fun, Kel! Take your camera!

slick
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
My dear Kelly, of course you can count on me too!!! See??? All pink and sparkly!!!!! Unfortunately I'm not able to be there with you but where do I sign up for my donation???

xoxoxoxo

NoahsMommy
04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Yay for PINK and SPARKLY!! :)

Thanks so much to those that would be willing to donate to the cause. :) ((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))

Tonya, Rachel and Slick - I'm going to set up my team this weekend I think. Then I can post a link here and I believe you can do it online via the link I'll put here or you can send me a check.

Yay!! My mom has all these ideas about getting a corporate sponsor - and having t-shirts made. AND...a ton of people at my mom's work are willing and planning on walking with me. I've convinced my Mom and Jerry to walk, so at least I'll have us three plus those at her work.

Once I get my team set up, I'll send out a mass-email to everyone I know and hopefully get more interest that way. I'd so love to have a large group walking with me. :)

What do you all think about asking my co-workers?? I'm just afraid they'll wonder why I'm making my own team for a "Crohn's & Colitis" walk...I've told many of them I'm pre-med and want to become either a GI or Pain Mgmt doc...but I'm concerned this will get them thinking. Mom says I can always say that I have a few friends with Crohn's/Colitis...what do you all think?
(I DONT want ANYONE I work with - approx 37 people) to know ANYTHING about my illness - I'm telling them, if I get sick, that I have really bad asthma/allergies. I've lost one too many jobs because I've been stupid and told co-workers out of friendship that I have it...and lost a few jobs that way. I love this job and its the perfect place for me while I'm in school, I can't loose it, there are just too many wonderful things about it.

What do you think?? What would you do???

Thank you so much everyone!!!!

Love Always,
Kelly :)

lbaker
04-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Kelly, count me in as a sponsor!! Unless, of course, I can find some neat Science meeting in SoCal I can manage to "have" to work ;) then maybe I can join you :cool:

NoahsMommy
04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Kelly, count me in as a sponsor!! Unless, of course, I can find some neat Science meeting in SoCal I can manage to "have" to work ;) then maybe I can join you :cool:

OOooh!! YAY!! Wouldn't that be great?? Lets find something scientific you just HAVE to go to!! :)

Hugs, Kelly :D

Cinder & Smoke
04-04-2007, 03:21 PM
What do you all think about asking my co-workers??
I'm just afraid they'll wonder why ...

(I DONT want ANYONE I work with - approx 37 people) to know ANYTHING about my illness -
I'm telling them, if I get sick, that I have really bad asthma/allergies.

DON'T say a THING to them (co-workers) about the walk!
You're just inviting unwanted attention to your problem.

/s/ Phred

Karen
04-04-2007, 03:31 PM
If anyone asks, tell them you know people with Crohn's and think this is an exciting way to be able to help. My guess is that no one will even ask "why," - knowing it's none of their business!

petslover
04-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Good Luck Kelly. I will have to see what I can do.

lvpets2002
04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
:) Well she does now know someone else with Crohans & Colitis.. I am with this.. I for years had Doctors do test after test on me & with of no luck.. I have had surgery after surgery on my colan.. They all finally told me I had bad case of Colitis of possible Crohans.. I have good days & very bad days.. I take some Med for this.. I dont talk about it much & just live with it.. You cant even imagine my shock to this Thread of knowing someone finally understands what I go thru.. Sure I will donate & for sure for the funds to help for a cure.. Thank you

Rachel
04-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the update, Kelly. I've been checking the website to see if you had set it up.

I think I'd pass on telling the co-workers unless you wanted to be upfront with the whole issue, which probably isn't a good idea. If they knew you had it, they would probably be inclined to donate, but you already know the other side of that coin.