PDA

View Full Version : Stalking Issue

elizabethann
04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I just got word that my Niece's Pug, George, is stalking her 9 month old son, Andy. They've had George for about 7-8 years and he has a sister Pug, Molly. I don't know the details yet but I don't want her to have to give George up. I would probably take him if she let me (even though I'm only supposed to have 1 dog).

Has anybody ever had a stalking issue with their dog and a baby?

Daisy and Delilah
04-01-2007, 10:14 PM
I've never heard of this myself. I'm guessing it's jealousy? I can't wait to hear what some of the board experts have to say.

bckrazy
04-02-2007, 03:33 AM
Could you describe the "stalking" in more detail? Has he nipped at the baby, has he growled? What is his body language like?

It's hard to say. Definitely tell them to call a behaviorist/trainer, if they're considering giving up a pet of 8 years!

mike001
04-02-2007, 09:14 AM
I've never heard of this, especially not with a pug. More details would help identify exactly what the dog is doing. Maybe it isn't really stalking the baby, might just be curious about having a human crawling around? Is the dog showinf any kind of aggression?

elizabethann
04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Okay, here is more information about the "stalking issue". This is an email I just received.

He doesn't attack him viciously but he does get aggitated and pounch at him with his mouth open. Andrew has been crawling all over the house , and I think it makes George uncomfortable. Molly lets Andrew play with her (hug, bang, slap), George wants none of that. Brian had to spank George yesterday and Saturday I had to yell at him. Only time will tell.

Brian is bringing George and Molly to the vets on Wednesday and he is going to ask the vet what to do.

P.S. I don't like the "spanking" part either.

labmomma
04-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I had a white gsd that stalked peple. We had her rehomed for fear of he hurting one of my kids. She went to a really nice couple and it took her awhile to adjust to her new environment. She even slept with their cat.
Labmomma X 2

mike001
04-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I think it sounds more like a confusion or anxiety problem. Not sure how to react to a human crawling on floor, humans are supposed to be alphas. This is a pug, quite different from a WGSD which I'm told have temperament problems. size would be something else. But the vet will probably have some answers to this. meanwhile, I wouldn't be slapping or yelling at the dog, it will only make matters worse and show him that there really is something wrong with this little human.

Karen
04-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Because crawling is a temporary phase, I'd just keep the two seperated when the baby is crawling around, or keep the dog on leash when the baby is crawling around. I am glad a vet trip is first in order, I wonder if George is having vision problems and the crawling baby startles him.