PDA

View Full Version : corded poodle coats

lute
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
There is a possability that I'll be working at a pet grooming place soon. The groomer and I were talking and neither of us know how to cord a poodle's coat. If anyone knows how or knows of a good website where we could find out let me know!

Freedom
04-01-2007, 05:43 PM
I thought the cords grew in, I didn't know a person actually does it!

For the Havanese, you just stop the grooming and let it grow into cords.

I did a google search: poodle cord coat. No quotes needed. Lots of hits. Here is one link, and a quote from it:

http://my.opera.com/sonya_todorova/albums/showpic.dml?album=88625&picture=1209498

If a Poodle's coat is not given the attention it requires, it will form into cords. Most national registries recognize two coat types for Poodles: curly and corded. These types are sometimes also, confusingly, called curly and wavy see the external link below. A curly coat is distinctly wooly if brushed while a wavy coat more readily cords if not brushed out.
Wavy Poos have coats which will more or less naturally cord but virtually all Poos are capable of having corded hair once their adult hair has been established. Puppies can be born with either type of coat, even in the same litter. Once cords have been established, they cannot be brushed out, but must be clipped away.
Breed historians seem to agree that the corded or wavy coat is the older of the two varieties. If left to cord, wavy coats are more difficult to take care of, and intentionally corded dogs have fallen out of fashion, in favor of those with brushed wooly coats or brushed wavy coats.

cyber-sibes
04-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't know about poodles, but there is a corded Komodor dog at the dog park. I asked her how she gets it to cord - she tears apart the matts that form in his coat & that makes the cords.