PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot S3 IS

wolf_Q
03-31-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm still in the dark ages of cameras compared to everyone else on PT ;)...I have a Canon Powershot A95. I want a digital SLR, but I really can't afford it right now. Truthfully, I really can't afford to buy another camera period, but I'm going on a trip so I want to be able to take some good photos. I'm thinking of getting a Canon Powershot S3 IS....or maybe the S2 IS, I'm not sure if there's a big difference. Any opinions/advice?

Cincy'sMom
04-01-2007, 07:25 AM
I have the S2 and my mom has the S3. I haven't found a whole lot of differences between the two...minor option upgrades (sports mode, black instead of silver, slightly larger screen), so if money is really a concenr, you might find the old model cheaper.

This is a site that has a really good comparison

S2 vs. S3 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/)

Kfamr
04-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I would go with the S2. It's cheaper and the S3 doesn't offer much of an improvement to spend more money on. Warning though, it doesn't come with much of a memory card. So, you'll probably have to get another of those, too. I'm not sure what the a95 memory cards are, but it may take the same as some DSLR's.... *nudge nudge* My XTi takes the same as my A80.

Freedom
04-01-2007, 10:45 AM
What's an SLR and a DSLR?

I'm considering getting a digital camera; I have a 35mm, but with PT, I want to post more often!! Te hee.

Roxyluvsme13
04-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Do they still even sell the S2's? I haven't seen them anywhere, or I would buy one of them. I'm looking for a new camera too since my old one's about to fall apart.

jazzcat
04-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I got the S3 for Christmas. It's really nice but I have no clue how to use it. I'm a point and click kind of gal. I haven't even used the video on it yet. All I know is it takes a heck of a lot better pictures than my 4 year old Olympus camera.

I just checked on Amazon and you can get the S3 for $309 w/free shipping through Amazon whereas the S2 is $345 plus shipping from a third party vendor. Thought that was interesting.

Also, if you watch some of the online deal boards you can get 2G SD memory cards for less than $10 (sometimes even free) after mail in rebates. That is how I got my two cards.

Zippy
04-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I got an S3 about a week ago and love it.I am still getting used to it but it takes great pictures. :D

Kfamr
04-01-2007, 12:40 PM
SLR stands for Single-Lens-Reflex cameras. Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera
DSLR just stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. :)

Catlady711
04-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I own the S1 and have used the S3. While I can't say on the S2 specifically the S3 did have many features my own did not. I'm guessing that the S2 is somewhere in between. I found both cameras easy to use and both take great shots.

If money is a problem I'd go with the S2 myself if you don't want to wait and save up for the DSLR.

Have a fun vacation.

Toby's my baby
04-01-2007, 07:12 PM
One thing about the review where it compares the Scene Modes, the S2 DOES have the Color Accent and Color Swap, they are 'in' the My Colors mode. :) So really, the S3 just has the "sports mode".