PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless in Florida

Lorraine Ofiara
03-31-2007, 02:43 PM
we have an adopted Himalayan, he is beautiful, but doesn't sleep at night. He's good till about 2AM & then he starts "talking" at the top of his volume. Sometimes I can coax him back to bed, but this usually goes on until the coffee pot goes on at 5:30, then he goes to sleep for the rest of the day. I have even thought about getting a baby carrier, so that I can carry him around during the day & keep him awake. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have had cats forever, but never had this problem. Oh, he is nuetered & very healthy. we've had him for 5 months, so there is no going back now

chocolatepuppy
04-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi Lorriane, while I have two cats, I've never had this problem. You could try posting this same question in the Cat Behavior section and might get more responses. There are many knowledgable cat people there. ;) Oh and welcome to Pet Talk! :)

KitCat
04-02-2007, 10:12 AM
You need to reset his clock. Keep him awake when you're awake and that increases the chance he'll sleep when you do.

Durmimg the week I have called my house and left a message on the answering machine calling my cat "Here boy, here boy" (he usually gets a treat or privilege when I call him so I think he pays attention). During the weekend wake him up during the day so he's on you sechedule and NEVER REWARD HIM for behavior you don't want. Do not feed ot play with him during the time he should be sleeping. After a week or so, his clock should be reset to your schedule.

Lorraine Ofiara
04-03-2007, 01:49 PM
We have tried all of these things. I think his problem is that Sam was homeless for an undetermined length of time. The woman that took him to the shelter had been feeding him for quite awhile, but she couldn't keep him. But we can't take him back now. I would NEVER be able to sleep then!! Would always be wondering what happened to him. We had a Daughter that had colic for 6 months & we didn't take her back!! We have the same commitment to an animal. You're in it for the long run. Your cat, Cocoa, is beautiful!! We had a Siamese a long time ago, he was such a love. IF I ever get so I can get around on here I would like to post a picture of Sammie. He's such a handsome guy, & we will get this sleep problem fixed.

KitCat
04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Hang in there! Things have got to get better soon!