PDA

View Full Version : Pain....

Kfamr
03-30-2007, 08:55 PM
My gosh. I have the most horrible pulsating pain in my right knee.

At my new job we had a double drive-thru. The past few days I've worked the side 2 drive-thru, where the window is towards the passenger side of the vehicle. People are incapable of pulling up close to the drive-thru window, so not only do I have to reach 2 feet out the window, but another 2 feet into their car.

Now, the proble with this is that the wall reaches right to my knees. When I lean on the window, most of my weight is leaning on my right knee, trying to reach to the customer.

My mom has the same pain, same area, because of the same reason.

Anyhow, I'll quit whining and get a heating pad. ;)

Cinder & Smoke
03-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I've worked the side 2 drive-thru,
where the window is towards the passenger side of the vehicle.

When I lean on the window, most of my weight is leaning on my right knee ...

:confused:
How come that doesn't sound very "convenient"?

What does the poor soul that's ALONE in their car do?

Anyhow ... the Fix for You ...

Drop by a Home Depot, Lowe's, or BIG hardware type store ...
Check the TOOL Department for "Knee Pads" or "Knee Protectors" ...
contractors who do roofing, tile work, cement work, some carpenters wear
them when they have to spend a lot of time "kneeling" down.

They come in all sizes, shapes, and flavors - make sure you get ones that
are comfortable when you're standing UP.

And tell the Store Manager that THEY need to install some heavy-duty padding
at the correct height to protect everyone!
;)

Karen
03-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Besides padding the wall, maybe try wearing a different height shoe, so it's not quite exactly at knee level? Just a thought.

Weird having a window on the passenger side ... never been through that kinda drive-thru!

Kfamr
03-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Really, it wouldn't be a problem if the customers were capable of pulling closer to the window. There are many people who pull as close as possible and we don't even have to stretch out the window. Then there's the @$$es who don't even make an attempt to stretch during the transaction and make us almost fall out the window trying to reach them.

The side 1 drive-thru is for the driver's side. It's set up like a Checker's/Rally's. It's just the way drive-thru only restaurants are made.

Scooter's Mom
03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Is it a Rally's or Checkers?

They have drive thru windows on both side's of the building so you can go through either side for faster service.

I am so sorry about your knee pain. I have a kneecap that is off kilter a little (it's been this way since birth) and if I do too much it hurts a LOT, so I can empathize with you. Not a lot you can do if your knee hurts.

sparks19
03-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Those double drive thrus can be a pain.... especially when people can't drive :D

Knee pads are a good idea. you should also try alternating ice and heat on your knee at night when you get home and have these aches.

What kind of floor do they have? if it is like most places it is probably that God awful cement flooring. Do they have those rubber standing pads for you? that can also help prevent further agitation to your already sore knee.

I don't know how you feel about pain meds... but Ibuprofen does wonders for that kind of knee pain as well.

Good luck... knee pain can be a bugger

Kfamr
03-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Nope, not Rally's/Checkers, It's Chick-fil-A. :)

The floor is really nice - completely different from the old store (I switched locations a month ago.) They just changed it from horrible tile to some other material.

Taking an Ibuprofen and heading to bed sounds like a good plan. Can't take my mind off Mufasa at the vets, anyways. The quicker I fall asleep the quicker I'll get to see him in the morning. ;)

sparks19
03-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Nope, not Rally's/Checkers, It's Chick-fil-A. :)

The floor is really nice - completely different from the old store (I switched locations a month ago.) They just changed it from horrible tile to some other material.

Taking an Ibuprofen and heading to bed sounds like a good plan. Can't take my mind off Mufasa at the vets, anyways. The quicker I fall asleep the quicker I'll get to see him in the morning. ;)

Oh that is good to know... that cement stuff is TERRIBLE on your knees.

I hope you can get some sleep.

Cataholic
03-31-2007, 06:47 AM
I like the ice and ibu combo! I am sorry about Mufasa...I hope it is 'routine', and will go check DG now!

Have I told you that ANY time we go to Chicks we think of YOU? LOL. I didn't know they were a Christian based chain.....

Zippy
03-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Maybe you could get knee braces.I use them sometimes and they are really a great help.

Catty1
03-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Or a stretchy support bandage for your knee - they are made to pull right up over your knee!

Would be nice if the owners put a guardrail or something on that side to force drivers closer to you. Do you think they would?

I hope you feel better! :)

RedHedd
03-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Don't you have OSHA in Florida? Occupational Safety and Health Administration? That sounds like a hazardous work condition and should be reported; they wouldn't allow something like that in California. The injury you've suffered would be considered worker's comp here. Your employer should be required to provide a safe working environment.

smokey the elder
04-02-2007, 10:42 AM
It sounds like you have an ergonomics issue there. I hope your knee feels better.