PDA

View Full Version : What should I feed my dog??

fragrancehound
03-30-2007, 08:03 PM
I have a 7 year old St. Bernard who is a little overweight. She has been on Eukanuba Large Breed Weight Management dry food most of her life. I did switch her to Eagle Pack(its an all natural food brand) Large Breed Formula but she gained some weight on it so my vet recommended that I switch her back to the Eukanuba, especially because it contains some vitamin that is supposed to be good the for hips and joints of large breeds.

I am very concerned with the latest round of news about Eukanuba weight management foods containing chromium tripicolinate which may be very dangerous to animals. Here is the link: http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/29/news/iam_pet_food.reut/?postversion=2007032916

This is becoming such a freakin challenge! Between all of the recalls and just the overall lack of safety precautions for pet food I am very frustrated. I don't know what to feed my big baby! Ideally, I would like to go back to an natural or organic brand. Any suggestions?

theterrierman
03-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Check out Canidae Platinum:

http://www.canidae.com/

I feed both my dogs the 'All life stages' formula and they do great on it. The Platinum is specially formulated for seniors and overweight dogs.

Andy

ETA: The meat meal that Canidae uses is not a rendering by-product, but actual human grade meal. There's no wheat or corn, and 3 out of the first 5 ingredients are meat.

DrKym
03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Raw,

Just my opinion

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Here are a few premium foods for weight management...

Canidae Platinum (http://www.canidae.com/dogs/platinum/dry.html)
Natural Balance Reduced Calorie (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/RedCalDog.html)
Innova Reduced Fat (http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B%40id%3D%271411%27%5D)

I haven't personally tried the weight management formulas of these brands, but I have used the original. They are excellent foods, not affected by the food recall. I am sure there are more, I just posted the three that came to mind first! Good luck! :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Raw,

Just my opinion

I totally agree with you! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-30-2007, 08:20 PM
I had the same problem with one of my dogs too, but didn't want to switch brands because its the only food he can eat. So, I just lowered his food intake. He doesn't seem to mind/notice and its working for him. A dog never needs anywhere near as much of a premium food (such as Eagle Pack) as they do a low quality food (Eukanuba). Premium foods are much more filling. Winston used to eat 2 cups (twice a day) of Nutro and now he eats 1 1/3 cups (twice daily) of California Natural.

If your dog as always had weight issues, you may want to get her checked for a Thyroid condition, but I'd just try dropping the amount of food given for now and see what happens. Please, please do not switch back to Euk. It really won't benefit your dog at all.

king2005
03-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Is the dog getting enough excersize to keep his weight down?
Has he been tested for Hypothyroid? <- my dog has it & she can gain a crazy amount of weight. When we got her from the shelter she was 170lbs. Thats 70-90lbs over weight! Shes lost a lot the 3 months we've had her & she doing great.

If thats not it, atleast get him onto an all natural diet, so hes not at rist of being poisoned!

fragrancehound
03-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I keep reading food labels and I really feel like a dummy. I have no idea what half of the ingredients are or what they do...

chondroitin sulfate?

cobalt carbonate?

choline chloride?

Calcium Iodate?

Are any of these ingredients the same as Chromium tripicolinate? Is Chromium tripicolinate the actual inci name used on the bag or does it go by some other name?

I was looking into Castor & Pollux as one possibility but try to dissect the ingredients is quite a challenge. :mad:

Kfamr
03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Eagle Pack is a higher quality food than Eukanuba, therefor they get more nutrients out of it. You may/may not be feeding the same amount (in cups) of Eagle Pack that you fed Eukanuba.

I would reduce the amount of Eagle Pack. If she still acts hungry because of the reduction, add in a good filler such as no-sodium green beans, pumpkin, or canned/cooked squash.

Increase excersize as well. Many people find their dogs (and themselves) fattening up over the winter months because of weather.

As others said, if you don't see her losing weight, I would have her thyroids checked.

Welcome to Pet Talk, by the way, I hope to see more about your beloved dog. :) Edit: OOPS! I just noticed you've been here for a while. Sorry about that, I haven't seen you! :)

dab_20
03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
I've heard Innova is really good.

I feel my dogs Nutro Ultra. Molli eats about 1 1/2 cups a day of food and she's only supposed to eat about 3/4 a day, and I can't seem to get her to gain an ounce. (she's a little on the thin side, but a good weight overall) So I don't know if that's good weight loss food or not? But she gets a good amount of exercise and is very active indoors. Her poops are healthy and she doesn't poop a lot either. (lol)

fragrancehound
03-30-2007, 08:32 PM
The older my baby gets the less she moves around. She will not get up unless she sees or smells food. I try to exercise her but I swear she looks at me like I am crazy.

Kfamr
03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
I tend to stay away from foods that have ingredients that I cannot pronounce or know what they are.

I am currently switching my four dogs from Timberwolf Organics to Innova EVO Red Meat. I was deciding between Innova, Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, Karma Organic, or Wenaewe.

They also get raw meals for dinner a few times a week.

I understand what you mean about exercise. I have a 9 year old who doesn't care to do much. Although, it is a big help that my other three (4years, 3 years, and 6 months) encourage him to play.

Possibly try a food/treat ball for meals? That way she has to move around while eating. Often times I will sit with a bowl of food and throw the kibbles around the livingroom one at a time so they run after it. They think it's great!

Giselle
03-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I keep reading food labels and I really feel like a dummy. I have no idea what half of the ingredients are or what they do...

chondroitin sulfate?

cobalt carbonate?

choline chloride?

Calcium Iodate?

Are any of these ingredients the same as Chromium tripicolinate? Is Chromium tripicolinate the actual inci name used on the bag or does it go by some other name?

I was looking into Castor & Pollux as one possibility but try to dissect the ingredients is quite a challenge. :mad:
:D The thing with "dissecting" ingredients is that alot of what you're reading is added vitamins and minerals. And you actually *want* chondroitin sulfate, as it is a good additive for dogs who have or may develop joint problems. Remember glucosamine/chondroitin supplements? It's basically that. I believe cobalt carbonate is an ingredient commonly used in pottery or pottery glaze. I don't know why it would be present in dog food, but I suppose it has mineral benefits. Not too sure of the rest and I would hesitate to give advice about chemical/organic compounds such as these. Not too sure about the Chromium tripicolinate, but if you're a believer in organic food, Castor & Pollux's Organix/Ultramix don't seem too far from the mark.

However, be aware that dog food is as much gimmicking and marketing as it is real nutritional benefit. I also don't believe there is much legality as to what terms a dog food company is allowed to use. Just don't go for the first food that labels "all natural". It probably isnt ;)

And to echo the posters before me, exercise exercise exercise!!!!! In order to lose weight, energy output > energy input. Exercise more, eat right, and the excess weight will melt away.