PDA

View Full Version : FDA warns Iams on food for overweight pets

crow_noir
03-30-2007, 12:44 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/29/news/iam_pet_food.reut/?postversion=2007032916

FDA warns Iams on food for fat pets

The agency has issued a letter to the pet food maker for an possible hazardous ingredient included in weight control food for cats and dogs.
March 29 2007: 4:56 PM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning letter to pet food maker Iams about an additive in some of its products for fat dogs and cats.

The letter, dated Jan. 8, 2007, and posted on the FDA Web site Thursday, said that several Eukanuba-brand dry and canned pet food products made by The Iams Company, a unit of Procter & Gamble Co. (Charts), contain chromium tripicolinate, which is only allowed as a source of supplemental chromium in swine feed.

The company will take chromium tripicolinate out of future formulations of its Eukanuba Veterinary Diets Optimum Weight Control and Restricted-Calorie dry and canned products for obese dogs or cats, spokesman Kurt Iverson said.

He pointed out that the FDA had not ordered a recall of the products now in pet owners' homes or on store shelves.

Since chromium tripicolinate has not been tested for safety in dog and cat food, products containing the chemical are considered adulterated under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the FDA letter said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said Thursday it would hold a news conference Friday to urge the FDA to expand its March 16 recall of some wet pet foods to also include dry varieties subject to complaints until they are tested for safety.

The recall, ordered after several pets died of kidney failure, applied to millions of pounds of wet pet foods made by Canada-based Menu Foods and sold under more than 50 labels including Iams and Eukanuba.

The letter issued by the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine also said Iams had earlier tried to demonstrate that chromium tripicolinate is non-genotoxic, but the agency determined that data submitted by the company did not sufficiently address its safety concerns.

Genotoxic compounds can cause genetic mutations or tumors, according to the FDA Web site.

Chromium tripicolinate is known to boost metabolism in both humans and animals, Iverson said.

"The FDA wanted additional studies to prove certain things but those would require us to go beyond our animal welfare policy, so we've chosen to take that ingredient out," he said.

However, Iverson did not have a date by which time the compound - which continues to be listed as an ingredient on the Iams Web site - would be removed.

The agency had asked Iams to respond within 15 days of receiving the letter with documentation of its corrective actions, which Iverson said it did.

In the March 16 recall, an ingredient used in rat poison called aminopterin was later found to have caused the deaths of at least 14 dogs and cats.

Copyright 2007 Reuters All rights reserved.

© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP. A Time Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

~~~~~

Picture, video, and links on full article.

Freedom
03-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Golly they are ALL getting into trouble! This is becoming bigger and bigger daily.

Catsnclay
03-30-2007, 03:41 PM
What are they doing to us??? First they are trying to kill our beloved pets :mad: and now they are making them fat?

What is next?????

Giselle
03-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Sooo...it's genotoxic, but it boosts your metabolism! Wow. What a good trade-off :rolleyes:

Simple rule: If you can't pronounce it, don't feed it :D

fragrancehound
03-30-2007, 07:50 PM
I really wish there was more testing done and overall a better set of safety standards when it comes to our pet's foods. This is getting out of hand. My dog is on Eukanuba Large Breed Weight Management dry food as recommended by my vet. Now I am thinking about switching. It is getting to the point that I just don't know what to feed her anymore.

Catty1
03-30-2007, 08:12 PM
What are they doing to us??? First they are trying to kill our beloved pets and now they are making them fat?

My opinion - "they" are not doing anything.

Hell, the companies stand to lose everything with this happening by ACCIDENT - you think they would ever dare do it on purpose?

That idea wouldn't even get in the door at their marketing departments! :rolleyes: