PDA

View Full Version : should I use fleece or another bedding for a dwarf lop?

Katey
03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi, it's me again. I'm using fleece as bedding for my guinea pig and was wondering if it would be o.k. to use it for my soon to be adopted dwarf lop. Aspen and pine causes allergies so the fleece is wonderful for me as well as my guinea pig. Or should I opt for different type of bedding? Thank you for your answers. :)

Karen
03-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Do not use fleece, as rabbits tend to munch on their bedding. Only use something like Carefresh or Yesterday's news, or just hay.

3muttsandaboston
03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree. The fibers could cause an upset tummy in your bunny. Carefresh, yesterday's news and aspen are all good beddings. Hay is ok but it's not very absorbent.

Katey
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
How about a cotton towel covered with hay? If not, then I'll try Carefresh or YesterdayNews.

SunsetRose
03-29-2007, 10:55 PM
A rabbits toenails can get stuck in the loops of a towel and the toenail could get ripped off.

Aspen shavings are actually ok unless your bunny has an allergy or issue with dust. Pine and cedar are the dangerous ones because they contain a natural oil found in the trees called phenol. Phenol can cause respiratory problems in small animals and rabbits. Aspen is a different kind of wood and doesn't contain these phenols so it's completely safe.

Hey is a good along with Yesterdaysnews and carefree. If you potty train your rabbit, you can have a box in the cage with a natural litter for her to potty in.

buttercup132
03-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Aspen shavings are actually ok unless your bunny has an allergy or issue with dust. That IS why they aren't good. Bunnies are so low and close to the hsavings that they breath in all that dust.

If you have a paper shredder you could shred all your news papers when you get them it will also make good for bunny to chew on.