PDA

View Full Version : did they forget Asbestos is DANGEROUS?!

cali
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
good greif there is asbesos and mold removal going on in the same tiny mall I work in..directly accross the hall from my work..while were open....and the morons next door idea of saftey is to build a wall accross their opening..ok so the wal is full of holes and they started the removal before the wall was even finnsihed...and all the vents in the building connect so everything comes through vents and drops right on us. the sowners my my store dont actually work there, the people doing the removal say its all good so the owners are good with that and we stay open. everuone in my store is getting headaches from it. my reacition was a lot worse, I was sent home because I couldnt breath,my stomach was killing me, I was gagging, I had a migrane, and I could hardly stand up. before I went to work I was fine no problem, after less then an hour at work however..... so on my way home I dropped in at a doctor, he checked me over and determned that I am definatly not sick, I have no infections or anything that just happens to be coinsiding with the removal, nope he said its an allergic type reaction caused by whatever is in the air at work. so I am supposed to file for Wrokers comp. and I am not supposed to go to work again till monday, and on a case by case basis till they are done(he said starting monday go to work each morning, and go home if I start reacting again. that'll be a pain in the @ss)

Karen
03-29-2007, 02:18 PM
It's more likely a reaction to the mold than the asbestos - asbestos is a long-term kind of problem, but many people have bad reactions to certain molds, and the spores do get in the air. Hope you are feeling better soon.

cali
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I dunno, I told the doctor its both mold and asbestos, he said it was an allergic reaction to the asbestoes :confused:

Sirrahsim
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
It sounds like your doctor may be a little bit of an alarmist. Breathing in a little bit of asbestos shouldn't give you any symptoms at all. Try to relax :) The asbestos fibers are teeeeeny tiny and do not impact your health until you have breathed in enough of them over a long enough period of time for the fibers to get into your lungs and cause inflammation. If you are really concerned I would suggest getting a second opinion. I would definatly get a second opinion before you do something as drastic as applying for worker's comp :)

Generally, those who develop asbestos-related diseases show no signs of illness for a long time after their first exposure. It can take from 10 to 40 years or more for symptoms of an asbestos-related condition to appear (2).
Taken from:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/asbestos

cali
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM
sorry, I think you misunderstood lol, its not illness from the asbestoes its an allergic reaction from breathing in the air containing the particals. most people are only getting headaches from breathing it all in, but I am extremly sensative to these things. an ILLNESS from the asbestoes would have me sick in general, my thing is only an allergic reaction to being in the same envroment where it is being removed.