PDA

View Full Version : Spoken Languages

Sevaede
03-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I thought this would be an interesting topic! :D

What languages do you speak? Which is your native language? Did you learn them for fun or/and for a requirement? How long have you been speaking them? Do you speak them regularly?

I learned Japanese and sign language in school when I was 9 and continued learning for a little while. I learned some French in high school. I knew random little phrases in other languages. I've pretty much since forgotten most of it which is unfortunate because I *love* learning other languages. I hope to take them up again soon. :D

sparks19
03-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Well the only one I speak fluently is English.

I can understand a lot in French (quebecois french) and can speak quite a bit but not enough to hold an entire conversation, some German, a little Spanish... and I can count to ten in Japanese LOL

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-29-2007, 12:40 AM
English :)

kuhio98
03-29-2007, 01:13 AM
English is my only language. I am learning sign language right now from a deaf co-worker.

Mmmm, I can count to 10 in Spanish, Turkish, German and Chinese but that won't get you very far.... :p

Karen
03-29-2007, 02:00 AM
English is my main language.

I know a few words - enough for very, very simple conversation in French, but only if the other person speaks slowly enough! I know a handful of words in Spanish (thanks to Sesame street and an immigrant friend, mostly), can count to 14 in Swedish and know a few other words - not enough for a conversation by a long shot, and know a random handful in Polish (really random) and ASL, and can say hello, thank you, and "I don't want that" in Mandarin.

My grandfather was gifted in languages and was fluent in 5 (Swedish, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and could make himself understood in a few others when necessary - he was police chief of a mill town with dense immigrant populations. He didn't have the benefit of any college education, just learned on his own. He was Swedish, his wife (grandma, my beloved grandma) was French-Canadian, and she didn't want us to learn anything but English, so we wouldn't be discriminated against. We were to be "just American." So my French is largely "school French" which was very different than the French the older generation spoke at family gatherings!

jackmilliesmom
03-29-2007, 03:44 AM
I am Irish so I speak both english and irish and speak both fluently depending on what part of the country I am in, funnily enough can read and speak irish but cannot for the life of me cannot write it properly....

jenluckenbach
03-29-2007, 05:26 AM
Just English.

Zippy
03-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Only English.
I am taking Spanish 2.But I am not very good at it.

critter crazy
03-29-2007, 08:18 AM
English is my Primary language, but Can speak pretty good Spanish. Been a while since I have had to speak it, but am trying to teach my kids Spanish. My Father was Mexican, and I grew up in LA, so It was pretty much a prerequisite!

I used to know a bit Of Japanese, but Cant remember as words as I used to know.

Sirrahsim
03-29-2007, 08:20 AM
I am only fluent in English :)
I can count and say a few phrases in German, French, Spanish. I also learned just enough Japanese to get my job done and be friendly when I worked at the club in Japan but I wouldn't be able to hold up my end of a conversation for any length of time :D

angelbow20
03-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I Know english but can speak some hungarian since my granparents and motheres side is all from there. I dont think I really know anything else though.

sirrahbed
03-29-2007, 08:33 AM
English here too. I studied Spanish in highschool and then German in college. I picked up some Spanish from Sesame Street and from living in Texas. Amazingly, I can listen or read German and follow the drift pretty well.

I wish I had continued in at least one second language :rolleyes:

Blue_Frog
03-29-2007, 09:08 AM
English (sometimes ;)) ... Enough french to get by in Quebec, enough Japanese to have done phone support in the evenings with clients in Japan, some spanish and italian, and Latvian (my grandparents were latvian, so i can speak it and understand what is going on, but couldn't write it).

lizbud
03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
English is my native language. Also speak some Gaelic, Spanish, Sign
language and Latin.

king2005
03-29-2007, 12:27 PM
English is my main language, even though I suck in it lol

My birth language was french, but that was cut off instantly when i was 3yrs old.

I suck in french now, but when I need to I can get by just fine. If I stay at my grandmas place fore a couple weeks, most of my french comes back to me & then she can no longer keep things from me hehehe

sparks19
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I am Irish so I speak both english and irish and speak both fluently depending on what part of the country I am in, funnily enough can read and speak irish but cannot for the life of me cannot write it properly....

I am with you.... I can't really write the other languages at all. But in school those courses were always my favourite.... French and German.

I had to learn some Japanese when I was taking Judo... that was pretty neat.

I don't know about in Ireland but I heard from a German Air crew once that they are required to learn to speak english in Germany... of course that might have just been for the air force though. Is it a requirement where you are? LOL I guess if part of the country speaks english it would be a benefit but is it something taught in schools as a regular class or is it a special class?

slleipnir
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
English. I know a little Japanese, but not enough to hold a conversation. I really want to learn more though...

M&M's Mommy
03-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I am fluent in Vietnamese :). I came to the U.S. when I was 17 years old and started learning English from the beginning. It was very hard at first, but after almost 20 years of continuous studying (I still learn new words everyday :)), I think I can now say that I'm fluent in English, too ;)

I took two years (4 semesters) of Spanish in college, and got all A+, but since I never used it in real life, I lost it all but a very few words..

beeniesmom
03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
English is my native language
I am fluent in Italian from studying 13 years there!
I understand French (studied it for 8 years). Can speak it a little.
I understand Spanish. Can't really speak it.

Marigold2
03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
My family spoke german at home, it was my first language.

Barbara
03-29-2007, 03:47 PM
I speak German, English, French, Italian (good when I'm in Italy for longer), a little bit of Spanish (I can read it), a little bit Greek and Japanese and some left-over Latin.
And I can count to ten in Finnish ;)

Giselle
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Technically, my first language is Cantonese, but I grew up in America so I know Cantonese and English equally well. I understand Mandarin and am currently taking classes along with help from a tutor. I also know rudimentary French, but I can definitely read more than I can listen/speak. I love languages :) I just wish I could use them more!

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I only know english, but have always wanted to learn something else.

Laura's Babies
03-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I speak deep south english only ya'll! :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
03-29-2007, 10:53 PM
In addition to English...I speak/read/understand and some write (that's the hardest!) Spanish....not as well as when I lived in Mexico...it does fade if you don't use it...I can read enough French to navigate the subway in Paris, the roads and a menu. I know Chicago Polish (hello, how are you, please, thank you, yes and no) and a few words in Slovenian (although my father says my accent is terrible.....)

jackmilliesmom
03-30-2007, 04:32 AM
I am with you.... I can't really write the other languages at all. But in school those courses were always my favourite.... French and German.

I had to learn some Japanese when I was taking Judo... that was pretty neat.

I don't know about in Ireland but I heard from a German Air crew once that they are required to learn to speak english in Germany... of course that might have just been for the air force though. Is it a requirement where you are? LOL I guess if part of the country speaks english it would be a benefit but is it something taught in schools as a regular class or is it a special class?

We are born speaking english and we learn irish in school but I love it and I love visiting the Gaeltacht (gail tact is the best way to say it in english) I get to speak irish all the time and especially love hearing the older people in the are speak it. There are different pronuciations of words in irish depending on the province you go to but I love it nonetheless. It comes from my love of history and learning about the hedge schools where the children used to have to be taught in the hedges and ditches of ireland because the british army during the famine times closed and burned all of the schools because they were catholic and not protestant its a long story but an interesting one and the only way they could warn the priests and the children that the army (peelers) were coming was to shout out in irish for them to scatter...

Do you serve in the air force where you are? I have a german friend who once told me that they had to learn english in school because most of the businesses in germany are linked with english speaking countries and he said it was the most difficult language to learn because of all the similar pronouncing words such as through and threw and so on....

IRescue452
03-30-2007, 04:53 AM
My native language is English. I also speak Spanish and Japanese quite often.

I know a few phrases in Thai, French, Swahili, German, and Korean. I've spent the past 4 years living with people from 42 different countries so I picked a bit up.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-30-2007, 08:40 AM
My first language is Dutch. I also speak French and English fluently. I used to speak German too, but since I haven't used it for more than 20 years, I have forgotten most of it. I am still able to talk to people in German though :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Do you serve in the air force where you are?

Air traffic control requires a common language worldwide (imagine trying to land airplanes at an international airporr if it weren't that way!)

English is the common language used for air traffic control.

(French was once the common language for diplomacy so all diplomats needed to speak it. I doubt if that is still true....)

Barbara
03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a german friend who once told me that they had to learn english in school because most of the businesses in germany are linked with english speaking countries and he said it was the most difficult language to learn because of all the similar pronouncing words such as through and threw and so on....

In Germany, most people learn two foreign languages in school. In my case it was 3: 9 years French, 6 years Latin and 3 years English.

Most people learn English now as it gets you further in travelling and business. In the beginning of the last century and for a long time, French was number 1 but now it's losing its second place against Spanish.

The good thing here: most people enjoy learning and speaking foreign languages and are really happy to practise when you come and visit.

I am working for a Germany based language publishing company (Langenscheidt) and the market for language learning in small Germany is much bigger than the market for language learning in the big US- something I'm proud of :)