PDA

View Full Version : Dog blamed for chewing off baby's genitals

ramanth
03-28-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0327mutilated-infant27-ON.html

Dog tore off her baby's genitals, mom says
Associated Press
Mar. 27, 2007 02:21 PM

WEBSTER, Texas - A woman with a history of drug abuse says she woke up from a nap to find her miniature dachshund had torn off her baby boy's genitals. Authorities have doubts about her story, but exactly how the newborn was maimed is still a mystery.

Holden Gothia, now 7 weeks old, was found on a bed in his mother's suburban Houston apartment March 13, covered in blood. His genitals were severed and there was a deep cut in his upper leg.

He has been in critical condition ever since. He may never regain the use of his leg and faces years of operations, according to the boy's father, Camden Gothia.

Police, doctors and Child Protective Service officials told the baby's father that the injuries were not consistent with dog bites - the lacerations were too neat.

But Holden's mother, the only person who might have the answers, has checked into a treatment program and refuses to cooperate with police. No charges have been filed.

"In this case, all the investigators can do is go over photographs, trying to make determination based on what experts are telling us," said Houston police spokesman John Cannon.

Child-protection authorities said the 25-year-old woman had a history of prescription drug abuse and tested positive for cocaine and methadone the day after Holden was mutilated.

The mother's name has not been released, and the boy's father would not disclose it. The couple were living together but were not married.

Camden Gothia, a 36-year-old assistant supervisor at a chemical plant, said Holden was born healthy and drug-free, and for the first month of his life, the mother "was just glowing. She was head-over-heels in love with Holden."

But Gothia said he soon saw signs that his girlfriend was using drugs again, and the day before the maiming, he threatened to take the boy away from her.

"I called her mother and said she either gets help or I will remove Holden permanently. I was not going to take a risk with Holden," he said.

Instead, he said, he got a call from Holden's mother the next afternoon telling him to rush home.

He said he arrived at the couple's apartment to find an animal control van outside, Holden's mother in an apparent drug-induced stupor and blood covering the bed where the baby had been sleeping.

"Every emotion starts shooting through you - guilt that I wasn't there, thinking what I could have done differently every day prior to that," he said.

Gothia said the 8-pound dachshund, which he bought as a gift for Holden's mother, had never shown any aggressiveness and often slept nestled to the newborn.

He said he has been given permission by animal control authorities to take the dog home.

I cannot believe they haven't arrested the mother. :mad: :(

sparks19
03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
They have DOUBTS about her story? GEE ya THINK. OH my gosh... that is terrible. I hope that woman is charged. Disgusting.

That poor child :( and poor dog for getting all the blame.... perhaps if she laid off the drugs she would have been a parent and been watching her child instead of "sleeping"

king2005
03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
My goodness poor Child & father :( I hope the little guy will be ok

I'm glad they free'ed the dog, such a horrible thing to blame on a dog!

sumbirdy
03-28-2007, 03:00 PM
That's just awful... :(

critter crazy
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
My Goodness!!! What is wrong with people these days!! She needs to be arrested and charged!! Poor little boy,dog, and dad!! what a thing to have to go through!

Roxyluvsme13
03-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Of course, blame the dog so you don't get in trouble. :rolleyes: What a B****. She obviously doesn't care too much about her son. I hope the baby recovers.

Rachel
03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Even if it were true, which I doubt, I'm thinking that there would have been excessive neglect of both dog and baby. I hope that neither of them will remain in the care or custody of that mother.

lvpets2002
03-28-2007, 04:44 PM
:( :mad: Thank you sparks19.. I could not said it any better.. Just so disgusting on the mother's part.. Did I say mother :rolleyes: :confused: I Meant OXXCI MORON..
They have DOUBTS about her story? GEE ya THINK. OH my gosh... that is terrible. I hope that woman is charged. Disgusting.

That poor child :( and poor dog for getting all the blame.... perhaps if she laid off the drugs she would have been a parent and been watching her child instead of "sleeping"

Reachoutrescue
03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
OH MY GOD!! How could this crazy lady blame a dog for what she knows he did not do! How could she treat her child like that? Chose drugs first? Way to be a mom there lady!! You know, you need a license to drive, to fish, to operate a rescue, to own a dog and cat, but any STUPID MORON can have a child. I HATE STUPID PEOPLE. This is why I like animals better. I pray lil' Holden will be okay and live a normal life and they lock that nut bag up!!

finn's mom
03-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I wonder if she did that to her child because the father threatened to take him. I feel awful for that little baby. :( I feel badly for the father, too, but he should not have left the child in that woman's care once he noticed that she was using again.

sparks19
03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
I wonder if she did that to her child because the father threatened to take him. I feel awful for that little baby. :( I feel badly for the father, too, but he should not have left the child in that woman's care once he noticed that she was using again.

I couldn't agree more....

UGH... I hope they lock this woman up for a long long time. 7 weeks old? GOD....

Sterlize her so she can never hurt another defenseless infant ever again.... grrr

Twisterdog
03-28-2007, 09:01 PM
I Sterlize her so she can never hurt another defenseless infant ever again.... grrr

Excellent idea.

No charges have been filed??? OMG. Unbelievable. Attempted murder would be a good charge to start with, IMO. I don't care if she IS a drug addict. :mad:

wombat2u2004
03-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Excellent idea.

No charges have been filed??? OMG. Unbelievable. Attempted murder would be a good charge to start with, IMO. I don't care if she IS a drug addict. :mad:

Hmmmmm.....forensics will sort it out. Once they have some sort of evidence against her...I think then the law will move toward her.
Wombat

Catty1
03-28-2007, 09:38 PM
She has checked into a treatment program. Maybe after some time there, she WILL cooperate with police, and charges will be laid.

That poor baby...and her BF feels horrible - which one of us would EXPECT anyone we know to mutilate a baby like that? How could he have known?

What I mean is...it's the first time I have heard of a drugged up person doing that. There is something really wrong with her to begin with.

Marigold2
03-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Poor child. He is going to need a lot of therapy in his life. His mother is an incredibly evil or ill woman. Animals are such better parents then a lot of humans.