PDA

View Full Version : Sweetpea - Cocker with breast cancer

kuhio98
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=124654 Please see posting in Dog General

kuhio98
03-29-2007, 11:51 AM
$100 more has come in for Sweetpea. With the matching funds from iMOM, that makes $205. Thanks for spreading the word!

kuhio98
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Fund Update for Sweetpea: $450 in donations plus $300 pledge from IMOM = $750 for Sweetpea!

A donor has issued a challenge (see thread linked to first message above). The donor will match all donations up to $150!

kuhio98
04-05-2007, 08:12 PM
http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?showtopic=2489&st=270 Just an update to let you know that Sweetpea had her surgery today and is doing well.

kuhio98
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Sweetpea is home recovering from her surgery -- she pulled some stitches out and had to be stapled -- but she's healing. Unfortunately, the tests show that the growth was malignant. Not sure what the long-term treatment plan will be.

You can keep up with Sweetpea's progress and updates from her family HERE (http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?showtopic=2489&pid=28800&st=300&#entry28800)

Thank you to all who donated.

kuhio98
04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately Sweetpea has passed away. Thank you to everyone who donated to her surgery to give her a chance. :(

Catty1
04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
That poor girl - what happened???

HUGS and prayers to her family!

kuhio98
04-18-2007, 11:07 AM
That poor girl - what happened???

HUGS and prayers to her family!Sorry Catty ~ I just saw this. Sweetpea's Mom is still in shock so I don't have all the details. Here's what she posted on iMOM.

I know everyone thinks I am just upset, and needing to blame. But I truely don't believe that! On Friday, when my daughter called me and told me there was blood all over my floor. I mean everywhere! I left work and came home immediately. I called the doctor, they told me it was just drianage. I questioned them then, but they are the doctors. Please, just hear me out. If you can rationalize this once I am done then I will listen. But please listen to me. I took her to the vet, they told me she was ok, this was normal. Like I said, I'm not a vet. I took her home. Saturday morning, my daughter came over and at this point I was putting bowls of water up to her mouth for her to drink. She was drinking find, eating too. But she wasn't interested in dog food, but was down for some cheese. Sweetpea had big brown eyes that told evey thought she ever had. I looked at her, her eyes were rolled back in her head, and the part of her eyes that has always been pearly white was now "blood" red! She looked at me (This is all I can see in my head, when I sleep, at work, all the time, it won't go away) and said with her eyes "save me". That is when I started calling other doctors telling them the situation. Not one of them agreed with what was happening. But I didn't know what to do. She had to go potty, and wet on the floor. Then look at me as if she was telling me she was sorry, she knew that was a no no. Sweetpea doesn't let anyone pick her up, not even me. I couldn't take it anymore, figured they would do something for her if I took her in. I put her leash on her collar, but she wouldn't budge. She couldn't! I told my husband I was going to pick her up, he warned me not to because she normally would have bit my arm off. She just didn't like being picked up. I didn't care, our baby needed help! I put my arms under her, and picked her up. She did nothing. I put her in my car and took her to the hospital. I told them as I was crying to please save my dog! I begged them to please help her! They put an absorbant bandage on her. My husband called asked if they got a hold of the doctor yet, them told him they hadn't. Told Bob that she might be hiking, because she liked to hike. My husband replied "its pouring down rain, I highly doubt she is hiking". The next time we called they told my husband that the doctor was in with Sweetpea right then. We felt some relief. We called again two hours later, only to be told, that dr. Valverde was not there and they were still trying to get a hold of her. That they kept missing her call. We begged them to have another doctor look at Sweetpea, but they said she was the surgeon and they had to wait for her. They told Jacki the same thing. Now I know you guys probably just think I am upset, but my daughter was making calls and getting the same answers. Monday about 8:00 a Dr. Ken called me and told me that Sweetpea had just went into arrest but came out of it immediately. But ususally if they do this once it is going to happen again. And she probably wouldn't make it through the second one. So if I wanted to see my Sweetpea, I better get down there. My work was giving me a hastle, they have a strick policy on just up and leaving. So I stuck it out for a while thinking about how strong our sweety is and just knowing she was going to make it through this. About an hour later Dr. Bonnett called me, said Sweetpea had another arrest and didn't come back. Asked me if they could take her off support. I told them no, I would be right down. I work in downtown Sac, her hospital was in Rancho Cordova by our house. Totally freaked, I told my work where they could go that I was leaving and didn't really care what there opinion was, and I didn't. I had to ride the trian to my car which probably took the longest 20 minutes of my life. Trying not to make an "ass" out of my self on the train. I got to my car, froze up. I think at that point in my mind I felt if I didn't go down there, this would all go away. But I knew I had to go. My daughter told me to call my husband, but I told her no there was nothing he could do. I pulled into the parking lot of the hospital, my phone rang, it was the hosptial. Telling me Sweetpea came back. God, I was so excited. I knew she wouldn't leave me. When I expressed my joy and told them I just pulled in the parking lot, Dr Bonnet told me very abruntly not to come in. She would be out. She came out with a clip board, told me Sweetpea was bascially dead, but breathing on her own. Blood was coming out of her nose and stool. I asked why? Why didn't you do something on Saturday when I told something was wrong? All they kept telling me they had to wait for Dr. Valverde. So Sweetpea died two hours before Dr. Valverde got to work on Monday. She didn't have to die! I told they something was wrong.

My husband very angry called the hospital when he found out. They took a message, couldn't even console him. I understand they are busy, but god! The director, or what ever she is, Ruthann Brown called us back. She said she wasn't a doctor but one of her best surgeons was on call and would have been down in minutes if it would have been necessary. She told my husband straight out the he was lying about them saying they couldn't get a hold of the surgeon, but they were trying. She also said that she didn't understand why we were so upset because Dr Valverde told me she didn't know if she got it all and that Sweetpea could die at any time. That is such a lie! I posted exactly what she said right after she said it! She told me she got it all, she didn't know when it would come back. But that it would eventually. Could be six months, year, even two years. But never did she tell me she did not get it all. She told me exactally that the surgery went well, and that she would know the results of the bio that following Monday. Monday, she told me that everything went well, she got it all, but it was miligant and would come back.

But for Sweetpea to be bleeding like that, please correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't she have had to be bleeding internally? Which, maybe they still couldn't have saved her but, they could have put her out of pain Saturday instead of making her suffer! I am not blaming the doctor for her bleeding, what I am blaming them for is not taking note to the situation at hand and sitting on it until Monday. They might have been able to do something.

Please, when you reply to this post think about what I have said first not just thinking I am an greiving nut! Please, take me seriously, think about what I am saying and if I still sound like I am trying to rationalize my loss then tell me, but if you have any bit of question, please tell me what I can do? I think what happened was wrong, my Sweetpea suffered for no good reason other than they couldn't get a hold of the doctor.

Again, I do value IMOM voices so very much. Please just hear mine too, ok! God, I look 90 right now. I got bags under my eyes the size of California, and am so very tired!

My husband has made Sweetpea her permanent resting place, and I made the biggest fluffiest pillow you ever did see with my favorite blanket (Sweetpea used to fight me for this blanket, she wins! lol). We are picking her up tomorrow, to take her to her peace! God, we love her so!!

For anyone that actually got to this part of my post, thank you for listening and being there. If anyone thinks that I might be right, please let me know. And for the ones that think I am totally in denial thats ok too!

We love IMOM!

Jenny
Sweetpeas mom