PDA

View Full Version : Does any one here FREECYCLE?

jennielynn1970
03-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm just wondering how many others on these boards know about the Freecycle network. It's not just national, it's international. It's a wonderful organization, and most of the cities that use the network do well, although you have little fights here and there about posting things.

I've used freecycle to post wanted items like blankets, towels and other cat items for our shelter. The outpouring of donations was just amazing. I had the entire back of my car, with the back seats down, filled with bags and bags of blankets, towels, baskets, toys, etc... You name it, it was donated.

The main idea about Freecycle, is exactly that: IT'S ALL FREE!! Things that you have may help others in need, and vice versa. I've gotten rid of curtains, old ACs, coffee tables, furniture, you name it. I haven't asked for much, but what I have needed, I have found.

We also have another board on Yahoo Groups called Cheapcycle. Not sure if that is national or international, but Cheapcycle is where you can buy and sell things. In my area, you can't ask for more than $500. for anything, no matter what it is. Most people on the board are looking for cheap prices.

I've found two toddler beds on cheapcycle that I use for my foster cats. One is a GRACO toddler bed, the other a Disney Princess toddler bed. Both came with the mattresses, and are in fantastic shape. I bought both for $10.00 each!!! When you think of how many cats can fit on a toddler bed compared to a cat or dog bed (and how much they cost), it's really a neat idea.

Here is the link for the National Freecycle. You can pick your country, and then go from there for states and cities.
http://www.freecycle.org/groups/

Here's a link for Yahoo Groups, and you can type in Cheapcycle to find them in your area:
http://groups.yahoo.com/

catnapper
03-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Hee hee... Freecycled this afternoon to pick up shoes for myself and Cam. Ashley actually liked the shoes I got for Cam (holy moley!!! :eek: ) and I liked a couple pairs of the sandals for myself. We got a 60" flat screen Tv around Christmas from someone on Freecycle too (thats hubby's favorite toy)

I've given away many, many things myself. We're going to start cleaning out the basement this coming weekend and I'll be posting a lot of stuff on freecycle next week.

PS: Shannon wrote something on freecycle the other night for One by One. I knew instantly who she was and sent her a cryptic response to her Freecycle listing saying I knew who she was and could she guess who I was. I wrote as my hint that "I kept half my fosters" and she emailed me back immediately, "Is this Kim?" LOLOLOLOLOL

Catty1
03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
You betcha! Love it!

jennielynn1970
03-27-2007, 10:26 PM
LOL! That's cute! I had a friend of mine respond to a post one time, and I felt bad because I had already promised it to someone else. I usually try to figure out who needs it most though.

A 60" FLATSCREEN?! Holy cow!!! I live in the wrong area! All that we ever get posted here for TVs are 19" B&Ws, lol.

I did get a cool paid of blue sketcher hiking boots before, but I've focused mainly on cat related items just cause they are so darn expensive brand new. I even had one woman who started to collect things for me, and she'd email me so I could pick them up. We've actually stayed pretty good friends through email, except she sends me all this religious stuff in spanish, which I totally don't understand, lol. It's all the "Forward this to the people you care about", lol.

I've made some ok money on cheapcycle too, although that's not my goal with it, but sometimes you just don't want to give something brand new away for nothing, and take a major loss in the wallet, ya know??

Karen
03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes, I have used it to give away things I didn't even think anyone would want! And not only did they, they came to get them quickly - always a plus.

jennielynn1970
03-27-2007, 11:00 PM
there is one poster on my board who replies to everything I offer. I swear, I could offer a fresh bag of cat poop, and she'd be the first one to ask for it! :D

Medusa
03-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Wow! Where have I been??? THIS IS GREAT! I'm presently opening another office and I need furniture, especially now that my accountant said I owe a couple thousand in taxes this year. Thank you so much!

critter crazy
03-28-2007, 07:37 AM
I have offered things on freecycle, but have yet to find anything that I want.

Logan
03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
I "took" something that was offered, once, a small upright vacuum, to use in my office.

We have listed many things on our Freecycle, to be given away, though, and they have always found a home. Just last week, someone came and picked up a washer and dryer (not matching) that were both in need of repair, and someone came for my gas range that we had replaced. That lady said her oven hadn't worked in over a year.

king2005
03-28-2007, 08:54 AM
there is one poster on my board who replies to everything I offer. I swear, I could offer a fresh bag of cat poop, and she'd be the first one to ask for it! :D

The Mississauga group has a rule against those type of people. As a rule you need to offer something first & have to keep giving, close to what you take.

When I was trying to join, I had to say why I wanted to join & so on. I said I just moved into a new home & we need some things, esp for the dog we just rescued. When we need to upgrade or don't need something, then I can offer, but right now i have nothing. I was accepted. I picked up several baking pans & cookie sheets, we needed those really bad too! I also picked up an old computer that I need to fix up :D

Soon I'll be offering both our couches

kimlovescats
03-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Yes, I've given away quite a few things! It's a great concept! Hmmm, I'll have to look for Cheapcycle around here. I have tons of stuff that I'd like to place in a yardsale, but am too LAZY to have one. They are in new condition, so I hate to just give them away completely! Cheapcycle sounds perfect ... thanks for the info! ;)

ramanth
03-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I've been curious about it, but this post prompted me to join my local Freecycle group. :)

A friend of mine is a moderator of her local Freecycle group.

lvpets2002
03-28-2007, 12:58 PM
:) Well until now have never heard of it.. But I just joined in my MW town web page.. thanks