PDA

View Full Version : Woman sick after eating tainted pet food

Kfamr
03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Woman eats dog food, foams at mouth
[United Press International]

OTTAWA, March 27 (UPI) -- An Ottawa woman trying to trick her terrier into trying a new kind of food ate it herself and developed symptoms, including foaming at the mouth, of illness.

The stunt-gone-wrong began earlier in the month before a North American recall of moist pet foods was issued, but Elaine Larabie suspects she and her new 1-year-old pet, Missy fell victim to tainted food, the Ottawa Citizen reported Tuesday.

She said once her dog started eating the food, she stopped, but both fell ill, and for three days she experienced foaming at the mouth, problems urinating, vomiting and loss of appetite.

The dog required veterinary care but will recover. Larabie is awaiting lab results from her hospitalization, the newspaper said.

Larabie said when she contacted Iams, the company confirmed the food she and the dog ate was affected by the recall and likely was contaminated with rodent-killing chemical sprayed on Chinese wheat. She said the company assured her they will cover her medical bills and she hasn't decided yet whether to sue, the Citizen said.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=f5a44797-005c-4df5-ad43-e1d844768c49&k=70991

Roxyluvsme13
03-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Ouch, that's got to suck.. but she didn't have to eat the food in the first place.

critter crazy
03-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Phhhtttt.....sounds like she was trying to get some fast cash! who the heck would eat dog food?? Unless to the mess the system!:rolleyes:

elizabethann
03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
OMG. :eek:

Kfamr
03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Phhhtttt.....sounds like she was trying to get some fast cash! who the heck would eat dog food?? Unless to the mess the system!:rolleyes:

I don't think it was that... the article states that it was done a month before the recall?

The dog was smart by not wanting to eat that crap! :p

Marigold2
03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Not the brighest crayon in the box.

critter crazy
03-27-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't think it was that... the article states that it was done a month before the recall?

The dog was smart by not wanting to eat that crap! :p

Must have missed that part!

Ether way, she aint the brightest bulb! Would any of you eat your dogs food, trying to convince the dog to eat?? I sure as heck wouldnt!

sparks19
03-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Must have missed that part!

Ether way, she aint the brightest bulb! Would any of you eat your dogs food, trying to convince the dog to eat?? I sure as heck wouldnt!

LOL that's what I was thinking. Does she really think her dog is that dumb LOL "oh if she eats it then it must be great." Oh man that's something else.

Could you imagine telling that to the Dr.... "Yes Doc... I believe I have ingested the tainted dog food..... well I was trying to fool my dog into eating it of COURSE."

Here is my general rule.... If even my DOG won't eat it.... it is not meant to be eaten... by anyone. lol

I do hope she gets better though

Puckstop31
03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Another "Darwin Award" candidate...

columbine
03-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't know about Canada, but in the United States of America, it's fairly common for poor people to eat pet food because they can't afford human food. But it's not often they'll admit it, because they're afraid of ridicule or pity.

Love, Columbine

sparks19
03-27-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't know about Canada, but in the United States of America, it's fairly common for poor people to eat pet food because they can't afford human food. But it's not often they'll admit it, because they're afraid of ridicule or pity.

Love, Columbine

well it doesn't sound like this was the case.... it is one thing to eat for survival... but to try to trick your dog into eating somethign it doesn't want? You would think that if you dog didn't want it.... perhaps it might not be very good.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-27-2007, 11:49 PM
It shouldn't matter whether we try our dogs food or not - it should be safe enough for us to eat, no matter what brand it is.

columbine
03-28-2007, 12:02 AM
well it doesn't sound like this was the case.... it is one thing to eat for survival... but to try to trick your dog into eating somethign it doesn't want? You would think that if you dog didn't want it.... perhaps it might not be very good.I wasn't there, so I can't know, but I'm guessing that perhaps this might just have been her story so as not to have to admit that she was eating dog food for sustenance. You'd be surprised how many people will eat pet food or garbage before accepting charity - it's a deeply ingrained value for some people. But since "never accept charity" is a matter of false pride - maintaining a certain face to the outer world - getting caught eating pet food would be worth fibbing about too, since it would mean that you'd committed the equally egregious misdeed of failing to provide adequately for yourself.

It's a fading and little-understood ethic, but it's still around.

sirrahved
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
One of the rules I try to follow in life... If my dog won't eat something, I'm sure not going to eat it!

critter crazy
03-28-2007, 07:58 AM
I wasn't there, so I can't know, but I'm guessing that perhaps this might just have been her story so as not to have to admit that she was eating dog food for sustenance. You'd be surprised how many people will eat pet food or garbage before accepting charity - it's a deeply ingrained value for some people. But since "never accept charity" is a matter of false pride - maintaining a certain face to the outer world - getting caught eating pet food would be worth fibbing about too, since it would mean that you'd committed the equally egregious misdeed of failing to provide adequately for yourself.

It's a fading and little-understood ethic, but it's still around.
Okay this has me thinking! Why would you choose to eat dog food, when for the same price or less you can buy real canned Human food??? Dog food isnt exactly cheap! I mean a can of Raviolis is cheaper than a can of dog food!

Catty1
03-28-2007, 08:06 AM
But I bet you ravioli has less nutrition than dog food. It's crappy for protein. :)

elizabethann
03-28-2007, 08:37 AM

Love, Columbine

My Mom fed my Step-Father cat food once. She was making his sandwhich and thought she was giving him canned tuna. It ended up being tuna alright.....canned tuna cat food. He ate it.

king2005
03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
My Mom fed my Step-Father cat food once. She was making his sandwhich and thought she was giving him canned tuna. It ended up being tuna alright.....canned tuna cat food. He ate it.

EWWWWWWWWW hehehe :D

Ok think about this.. Why would a human eat dog food? BABIES!!!
I'm sure most of us as little ones got into the dog food more then once & was eatting it. I wonder how many babies are gonna be ill off of this recall?!?!

sparks19
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM

LOL one night my husband was throwing a batch of the premade cookie dough in the oven for me.... they were Peanut butter cookies and had peanut butter chips on them....

AFter putting them in the oven he was doing a quick clean up... he saw, what he thought, was a peanut butter chip... he popped it in his mouth and then suddenly he started coughing and spitting and rinsing his mouth with water.... LOL I was wondering what was going on. It was a piece of dog food LMAO.

columbine
03-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Ok think about this.. Why would a human eat dog food? BABIES!!!
I'm sure most of us as little ones got into the dog food more then once & was eatting it. I wonder how many babies are gonna be ill off of this recall?!?! :eek: I hadn't even thought of that!
Love, Columbine

king2005
03-28-2007, 09:37 AM
LOL one night my husband was throwing a batch of the premade cookie dough in the oven for me.... they were Peanut butter cookies and had peanut butter chips on them....

AFter putting them in the oven he was doing a quick clean up... he saw, what he thought, was a peanut butter chip... he popped it in his mouth and then suddenly he started coughing and spitting and rinsing his mouth with water.... LOL I was wondering what was going on. It was a piece of dog food LMAO.

HAHAHA!!

When we got our old dog (1994) we all tried his food & treats... All tasted pretty bad.. too dry & hard.. Now we all learned a quick lesson, those bacon strips smells really good, but OMG PUKE!!! ;) :D

sparks19
03-28-2007, 09:40 AM
HAHAHA!!

When we got our old dog (1994) we all tried his food & treats... All tasted pretty bad.. too dry & hard.. Now we all learned a quick lesson, those bacon strips smells really good, but OMG PUKE!!! ;) :D

LOL.... I must admit.... I have eaten milk bones before... but I am not brave enough to try those soft treats lol

My Peanuts
03-28-2007, 09:46 AM
My cousin (more like my sister) used to taste her dog's food if it was switched. She said she wanted to know how it tasted before coaxing the dog to eat it. I know it's a little weird, but I've done weirder things for the good of my pets :p

caseysmom
03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
The vet my daughter volunteers with tries dog food sometimes....he is a great guy and the dogs are just one of the family members to him..

I am sort of surpirsed by everyone's critisism of this woman, I wouldn't do it but why judge?

Lori Jordan
03-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Some people,I live 25 minutes away from ottawa and have never heard this story until now..lol

Tells you how much i read a paper.

king2005
03-28-2007, 10:06 AM
I am sort of surpirsed by everyone's critisism of this woman, I wouldn't do it but why judge?

The little dog we had (omg so many yrs ago) Missy, was the pickiest eatter, going days without eatting anything... If you pretended to eat her food as if it was your, then handed her some, she would gobble it up.

With my old dog, I liked it when he would drool like crazy for a treat. So I would take a milk bone & would bite it & say mmmmm (thinking EWWWWW! why am I doing this again!).. He would drool like crazy, then I'd give him his treat & give him the piece I bit off ;) :D

catnapper
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Ok think about this.. Why would a human eat dog food? BABIES!!! I'm sure most of us as little ones got into the dog food more then once & was eatting it. I wonder how many babies are gonna be ill off of this recall?!?!
Hmmm.... Cam was trying to eat doggy food, but it was dry and not one morsel actually made it past the lips. Now, if there was wet food in the bowl? Nicki wouldn't have let Cam anywhere near the bowl! :p

Poor woman, but seriously, I love my pets but I'll never, ever, ever eat wet pet food. Pouncer's refusing to eat his very expensive prescription wet food.... do you think I'm going to taste it and make yum-yum sounds for him? Heck no!

I can't help but feel this is a reason for a law suit. How much food must she have eaten in order to get any reaction? It had to be many cans' worth, because in human poisoning, their murderer/attempted murderer gave them lots of rat poision in their food over time before their bodies started to show symptoms. If you're just trying to make the food seem yummmy, you're going to take a spoonful of the food at most. I am not a doctor (but play one on forums ;)) but one spoon can't have resulted in a serious health crisis.

sparks19
03-28-2007, 10:16 AM
The little dog we had (omg so many yrs ago) Missy, was the pickiest eatter, going days without eatting anything... If you pretended to eat her food as if it was your, then handed her some, she would gobble it up.

D

I knew a lady years ago... her dog would not eat.... UNLESS... she was sweeping the floor near the dogs food. LOL how strange... When she would sweep she would take the food off the floor... sometimes she would forget to set it back down (she was elderly) the dog figured out that when the broom came out it meant the food was going away.... so now she has to take the broom out and start sweeping and the dog will gobble up the food. HA isn't that funny lol

sumbirdy
03-28-2007, 10:25 AM

:D

Our dog Lacy is like that. But we have to actually lick the food before she'll take it. Most of the time we try to have one of the other dogs lick it instead but that doesn't always work.

king2005
03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
I can't help but feel this is a reason for a law suit. How much food must she have eaten in order to get any reaction? It had to be many cans' worth, because in human poisoning, their murderer/attempted murderer gave them lots of rat poision in their food over time before their bodies started to show symptoms. If you're just trying to make the food seem yummmy, you're going to take a spoonful of the food at most. I am not a doctor (but play one on forums ;)) but one spoon can't have resulted in a serious health crisis.

Good point there... I'm almost sure she was eatting it as a meal, as she was prob. too poor to afford real foods. If a can has enough nutrition (I know many are junk) for a dog, then it'll be enough to keep her from starving to death. I know what its like to not see a meal for days at a time. & the meal you do get is only pasta, with a little hamburger.. it makes dog food look really good. I neaver ate it, I cannot stand the stench or the thought lol so I lost 50lbs in 2 months & became ill for many many months... I'm still not that healthy for going 4 days with nothing, then a meal, then another 4 days of nothing... I don't know how many times I ate bad or dried food as I was that hungry. When I got a small bonus from work, I'd buy as much hamburger & pasta as I could. Then I'd cook & freeze it.

For those of you who are judging her, just think of what I posted. Starving sucks... REAL starving sucks, not OMG I'm a couple hours late for dinner & I'm starving, HA I never complain like that anymore :( ... It makes you mad & you'll eat anything, or just about anything & dog food is atleast gonna keep you decently healthy, prob a heck of a lot healthier then I was. Always try to put your feet in someone elses shoes, if you can bare too.

sparks19
03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
did you kow that you can survive on peanut butter.... I would think a jar would last much longer than a can of dog food... and much more substance to it.

Lobodeb
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree with Kim (catnapper). She would have had to eaten a lot to get that sick. So, I doubt she was tasting it to coax her dog into eating it. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to eat that even if she were poor/starving. As sparks said, a can of raviolis is pretty cheap as are many other canned foods. Human foods! I would much rather live on chef boyardi than alpo. And if you're THAT hungry/starving, who gives a rat's a$$ about nutrition? Just get something in your stomach.

I don't know, something just doesn't seem right here. Either way, I hope she gets better and the help that she obvioulsy needs.

king2005
03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree with Kim (catnapper). She would have had to eaten a lot to get that sick. So, I doubt she was tasting it to coax her dog into eating it. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to eat that even if she were poor/starving. As sparks said, a can of raviolis is pretty cheap as are many other canned foods. Human foods! I would much rather live on chef boyardi than alpo. And if you're THAT hungry/starving, who gives a rat's a$$ about nutrition? Just get something in your stomach.

I don't know, something just doesn't seem right here. Either way, I hope she gets better and the help that she obvioulsy needs.

Ever eat a lot of raviolis?? It makes you really sick! I cannot even eat one can without becoming ill for days. If I ate that when I was starving, I would have gotten dehydrated crazy fast & thats super deadly!

I don't know, but maybe canned dog food doesn't make people ill (as in getting the runs & horrid gut pains).

Nutrition is crazy important to a starving person... Ya eat anything you can get your hands on, but if you had the option between raviolis & dog food... Dog food is so much healthier & will keep you going longer & healthier :(

Lobodeb
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Nutrition is crazy important to a starving person... Ya eat anything you can get your hands on, but if you had the option between raviolis & dog food... Dog food is so much healthier & will keep you going longer & healthier :(

Understandable. My point is that there are other things out there that are more nutrutious and inexpensive than dog food.

sparks19
03-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Understandable. My point is that there are other things out there that are more nutrutious and inexpensive than dog food.

YEP..... like I said before... Peanut Butter is great. It has a TON of protien which is excellent... probalby more protien than cheap canned dog food. Lots of other good stuff too.... You can technically survive and be fairly healthy living on only peanut butter. And because of all the protien it lasts longer in your stomach so you don't even have to eat as much. BTW, someone else brought up the Ravioli... I can't take credit for that... but it's a good thought.

As for the Ravioli's If college kids can survive on it... anyone can :D lol