PDA

View Full Version : Misspelled last name on a check

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Anyone know what department I need to call to get my state tax refund check reissued?? They somehow managed to misspell our last name despite our having written it correctly on several different forms for them :rolleyes:
I can't imagine that any legitimate bank would cash a check for us that for all intents and purposes has the wrong last name... I've waded through the Ohio tax website but I can't find anything about reissuing our tax refund check!!

I wish that I could just GO there and talk to a real person but that isn't an option seeing as I live in Texas :D :rolleyes: :p

Craftlady
03-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Call the main number on their website someone surely should be able to direct you to the right department. But then again, we are talking the goverment :rolleyes:

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Call the main number on their website someone surely should be able to direct you to the right department. But then again, we are talking the goverment :rolleyes:

If I have to go that route then I will certainly be glad that I have unlimited long distance :rolleyes: :D I had to call them once before and even though I called the right department I ended up on hold for over an hour :rolleyes: At that time I was living in Japan and had to PAY per minute :eek: :eek:

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I keep going back and forth abotu whether or not to TRY to get someone to cash it. On the one hand it has both of our first names and middle initials spelled correctly and the last name only has one extra letter. It looks like they spelled it phonetically instead of copying the actual spelling down. It also has the last four of my husband's SSN on it so I don't know :(
On the other hand if the bank thinks that we are trying to swindle them we could get in a lot of hot water until Ohio cleared things up!

Craftlady
03-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I'd take it to the bank,
Talk to the bank manager and explain what has happend. Show them proper id, see what happens.

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 08:06 PM
The bank that I have an account with is ALSO in Ohio :rolleyes: We're thinking of opening an account in the area just to keep around for occasions like this. Someone on another board suggested that I just sign it how it is printed and then sign it properly and that that should take care of it... This whole thing is so annoying!

Freedom
03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
This is what you do:

You sign the check with your name spelled the way the check is written.
Right under that, you signthe check with your name spelled properly.

Your bank will take it, no problem.

I worked in banking for over 15 years, on the compliance side. Should not be a problem. Just sign it as above, go to the teller window with your deposit slip. No big deal.

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 08:10 PM
:) I hope that they know that that is all that I need to do when I go to the bank :p :)
I'm going to open up a local bank account tomorrow so that I can actually go to a teller and then I will hopefully deposit the check and go buy our grill!!

Freedom
03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh, you don't already HAVE an account opened? Trying to open an account with that check, hmm. It should still be OK. Look at the check. Your Social Security Number is on there, isn't it? You should still be OK.

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 08:15 PM
The last four of my husband's social are on there. It is written out to both of us and we will both be there. Come to thik of it it has our address on there as well :rolleyes:
We have a money order that we can use to open the account or if we need to we can write them a check from other bank. I don't think I'd try to OPEN the account with that check.

Daisy and Delilah
03-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Missy, every quarter I receive a check from my Grandmother's estate for rental property. For some reason, they have my name with a middle initial of E. when my correct initial is W. I have always signed my name correctly on the back and there has never been a problem.

I don't know if there would be more of a problem with the last name spelled incorrectly but I'll bet your bank will take it anyway. Good luck!! :)

Daisy and Delilah
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Any luck with it Missy?

Sirrahsim
03-28-2007, 09:28 PM
I opened up an account today but their computer system was down so I couldn't even try to cash the check. I'm heading back out there tomorrow afternoon.

Daisy and Delilah
03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Good luck!! :D

Freedom
03-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Should work fine. let us know!!

Sirrahsim
03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
They took the check no problem but suggested that I not spend it until I'm sure that it went through.... I don't know what that means but I guess I'll hold off a week or so before I get our grill.

Craftlady
03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
They took the check no problem but suggested that I not spend it until I'm sure that it went through.... I don't know what that means but I guess I'll hold off a week or so before I get our grill.

Probably want to make sure it clears ok, way it was made out etc.

Edwina's Secretary
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Both my husband and I have very short simple names that get mangled all the time -- especially our last names...we just sign the back of the check..."for deposit only" and never have a problem.

Banks have the right to hold a check you deposit for a certain period of time to ensure it is valid...before letting you have the funds. It is longer for out-of-state checks.

If you set up to view your account online you can see when the funds are available in your account.

Cinder & Smoke
03-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Banks have the right to hold a check you deposit for a certain period of time
to ensure it is valid ... before letting you have the funds.
It is longer for out-of-state checks.

Typical "holding periods" are 3 BUSINESS days for "local" checks;
and 10 BUSINESS days (2 WEEKS) for "out of town" checks.

BUT - there's also usually a bit of <fine print> somewhere in the "agreement"
you signed to open your account that reads something like:
"... all deposits are subject to successful collection ..." :confused:

I found that nuggett one day when the Bank sent a new, "revised & updated"
agreement for my amusement and education.
I stopped in and asked what the double-talk meant ...

"Oh, that just means if a check is later refused by the issuing bank (i.e. they won't PAY it),
MY Bank reserves their right to <snatch> back whatever amount they posted to MY account -
NO TIME Limit!"

The Lord givith, and the Lord taketh away ...
but He sure ain't gonna taketh away from da BANK!

:p

Sirrahsim
03-29-2007, 04:43 PM
ugh... Well hopefully the Ohio Government won't reject their own check :rolleyes: I don't see why they would!

Cinder & Smoke
03-29-2007, 04:59 PM
ugh... Well hopefully the Ohio Government won't reject their own check :rolleyes:
I don't see why they would!

Easy ... If Ohio doesn't "like" the endorsement on the back ... they can notify the bank
that cashed the check that the check is not being honored without a "proper" endorsement.

Hopefully, no one will check the endorsement and no one needs to know.

(And I'll bet they spell it wrong next year, too!)
:D

/s/ Phred

Sirrahsim
03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Thankfully I'll become a Texas resident sometime this year so next tax year will be the last time that I will have to deal with the Ohio Department of Taxation :) :)

Craftlady
03-29-2007, 09:09 PM
I wouldnt worry about a state check. An individual check or company check your not sure of then yes, I'd wait. This is a state refund check, it's good to go that day in my opinion.