PDA

View Full Version : How to "stretch" leather shoes?

catnapper
03-27-2007, 05:17 PM
I bought a pair of beautiful leather shoes last month (see this thread: bargain shoppers victory (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=122245&highlight=shoes)) and have worn them a few times, but after a couple hours, the knuckle above my little toes is begging for mercy. The heels are comfortable heights, no problems there. The other piggies are perfectly happy, but both shoes seems to make my little piggy scream.

The top of the shoe ends right across the bone on both pairs, and I think if I can just strecth the leather an itty bitty bit, I'll be able to wear them all day without running (uh, limping) out to my car for a change of shoes.

Any ideas as to how I can stretch the leather?

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 05:23 PM
I googled it and found several places that recommended using potato peelings :eek: http://www.wikihow.com/Stretch-New-Leather-Shoes

:D

Sirrahsim
03-27-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/livingroom/shoes.htm

Husky_mom
03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
´there is this spray at most any shoe store that is fro stretching shoes, it works great but not sure if you wnated a home remedy so to speak in that case I have no clue, maybe the potatoe peel may work, never tried it though....

lizbud
03-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Why not have hubby wear them around the house for awhile. J/K :D
I thought they sold something ( foot form thingy) to put inside the shoe
to stretch them. :confused:

sparks19
03-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Try wearing them around the house for an hour or so each night.... Not long enough to cause you pain but just enough that they might get worn in faster.

LOL other than that I only know how to break in a baseball glove lol and I don't think that would work for shoes lol

PJ's Mom
03-27-2007, 09:10 PM
´there is this spray at most any shoe store that is fro stretching shoes, it works great but not sure if you wnated a home remedy so to speak in that case I have no clue, maybe the potatoe peel may work, never tried it though....

Yep, Kiwi makes a good shoe stretching spray. You spray the shoes and immediately wear them. It doesn't stretch them a lot, but it may be enough to give you some relief. You should be able to pick it up for about $5.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Firstly, put on two pairs of socks - the reason for this will be come clear in a minute.

Next, boil a kettle.

Hold the shoes over the spout of the kettle while it is steaming, then put the shoes on while still warm and walk around the house in them. The socks will help the stretching process and keep your tootsies from getting hot. Repeat process as often as necessary.

Daisy and Delilah
03-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Can you take them to a shoemaker, Kim, and have them stretched? I know leather eventually stretches on it's own but it may be a painful process :confused:

I love Denise's idea :)

pitc9
03-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Firstly, put on two pairs of socks - the reason for this will be come clear in a minute.

Next, boil a kettle.

Hold the shoes over the spout of the kettle while it is steaming, then put the shoes on while still warm and walk around the house in them. The socks will help the stretching process and keep your tootsies from getting hot. Repeat process as often as necessary.

Wow!! Great idea with the tea kettle!!!

I was going to say 2 pair of socks, but that makes it even better!!

Laura's Babies
03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
One of my old boyfriends was a shoe repairman and he always told me the best way to stretch them it is soak them with water, then wear them wet.