PDA

View Full Version : Any Sheltie owners out there?

Vixis
12-22-2000, 06:15 PM
We have one, her name is Camille. She's registered with the AKC as Bubzee's Camille, we call her mental. Sheltie's have a great personality and great with kids, we don't have kids so our Camille and 2 cats are our kids. Any Blue Merle breeders out there? I live in Northern Virginia so it would have to be someone close.

Angels3
12-22-2000, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Vixis:
We have one, her name is Camille. She's registered with the AKC as Bubzee's Camille, we call her mental. Sheltie's have a great personality and great with kids, we don't have kids so our Camille and 2 cats are our kids. Any Blue Merle breeders out there? I live in Northern Virginia so it would have to be someone close.

We own 2 shelties, both over 10 years old now. Shelley is a magnificent red-gold sable female & Danny is a male tri-colour. Shelley was too tall for showing so we acquired her as a pet. Danny was a rescue...found wandering in poor condition with rope burns around his neck. They have 2 different temperaments...Shelley is an in-your-face extrovert & Danny is sweet and biddable. We live in Australia.

Vixis
12-23-2000, 07:04 AM
Goodday Angels3, our sheltie was also too big for show. When the vet told us, I told him we didn't get her to show we got her to love. She was puppy #8 of 8, she is full of spunk. She keeps our 2 cats in line and herds them around the house, she's about 5 years old now. She has her own toy box in the livingroom, she will pull everything out and put her toys infront of us to get our attention. She's also very keen in hearing, she can hear the UPS driver come up the driveway before he rings the doorbell. We love her a great deal, she's our little girl.

Vixis
12-23-2000, 07:04 AM
Goodday Angels3, our sheltie was also too big for show. When the vet told us, I told him we didn't get her to show we got her to love. She was puppy #8 of 8, she is full of spunk. She keeps our 2 cats in line and herds them around the house, she's about 5 years old now. She has her own toy box in the livingroom, she will pull everything out and put her toys infront of us to get our attention. She's also very keen in hearing, she can hear the UPS driver come up the driveway before he rings the doorbell. We love her a great deal, she's our little girl.

Angels3
12-24-2000, 04:35 PM
So nice to hear more about Camille, Vixis. She sounds exactly like our sable girl, Shelley...full of spunk, great organizer of the cats & a busybody who knows everything that is going on. Her lovely red-sable colour & 'tallness' got her a modelling job once. An exclusive store had a fashion parade in which all the models had variations of red hair. Shelley took part as the 'red-haired' dog & she was led along the catwalk by a model as if she was born to it. The store rewarded her with a huge, beautifully gift-wrapped bone & a basket of dog goodies. We love our sweet little Danny, too. He's a saint to put up with his bossy big 'sister', Shelley.

Vixis
12-24-2000, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Angels3:
Shelley sounds like a real cute dog, we went out today and came back and noticed she got into one of her christmas presents. We had 2 bones wrapped in gift wrap and she chewed the wrapping off the bone and then peeled off the plastic off the beef bone, I give her credit for being smart. I gave her a bath today so she will be all clean for christmas, she gives us "the guilty look" whenever the word "bath" is mentioned.
What color is Danny?

Angels3
12-24-2000, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vixis:

What color is Danny?
[/B][/QUOTE

Hi, Vixis. Danny is a tricolour...black, white & tan. He's smaller that Shelley (who looks like an adolescent collie) & has a pretty face. Hw was a rescue...found straying in poor condition & with rope burns around his neck. I found him & took him to our vet. Then the Sheltie Club sent some people to help clean him up & take him to their rescue place. He was so bonded to me in that short time, that none of us had the heart to send him on to the rescue place. We kept him and he's always been my boy...a sweet, loyal little fellow. We could never trace any original owner & have been puzzled why such a lovely young dog would have been in such an awful situation.

Vixis
12-24-2000, 06:15 PM
I don't know what the laws are in Australia about animal abuse but here, abusers serve jail time. We had a case where a woman who was known in horse country and an avid horse lover was found with 3 very malnourished horses, she had to pay a fine of up to $100,000.00.
I don't tolerate people abusing animals, we don't even leave our sheltie outside without us being with her. We have 1 acre of land that she had full run of and she sniffed pretty much every inch, that is why I want a Blue Merle. We have a sheltie rescue league here but they put you thru stringent rules that it's better off buying a puppy from a breeder, I understand they are looking out for the dog but here they are also out for money too.

Angels3
12-24-2000, 09:15 PM
Yes, we have strict laws about animal abuse here in Australia. And there's great public support for them. A Sydney man was recently fined a large sum of money for killing a puppy that followed his children home. There was a great outcry in the media & among the public that he should have been jailed. A public fund was quickly set up to fund an appeal. And the appeal to a higher court resulted in a jail term.
We always try to have one pedigree dog & one rescue. Both out cats are rescues...now beautiful creatures. We also have a Tibetan Spaniel...an incredible breed. They are small dogs with all the qualities of big dogs. They were bred by tibetan monks in buddhist monasteries for centuries & the result is a hardy, confident, beautiful intelligent little dog. Ours is called Angel. She is an Australian Champion but was retired because she couldn't have puppies. She's now our pet. I'm on a tibetan spaniel e-mail list & a number of the American tibbie breeders also have shelties. Would you like me to ask if any of them know a reputable sheltie breeder who has blue merles in your area?

Vixis
12-26-2000, 08:50 PM
Hi,
I looked at several breeder sites for Blue Merles but my husband noted we are going to wait until our white persian passes on, she belonged to my aunt until she passed away in her sleep 5-6 years ago. Crystal was only a 1 owner cat, then she was thrown into a home with 2 people, 1 cat and a dog. My aunt's wish was to put her to sleep but I didn't have the heart to see a beautiful cat that had many years to go be put down, my husband calls her the Panicked White Hairball. She is partial to me, it took me a year of coaxing her out of our bedroom closet when we first got her. She is getting more realxed as the years go by, Baby our other cat loves men. We had her since she was 3 weeks old, I found she came from a warehouse near a sound stage where a friend was filming a movie in Maryland. Two kids had taken her out and when I tried to bring her back to her mother the guy told me to put her in the grass and let her fend for herself, well, let's just say that I told him things I thought I would never say. Seeing those cute little grey eyes looking up at me and that little mewing made my heart melt, I brought her home. My husband was sleeping in bed so I placed her on the bed and she walked up to his head and curled up in a ball on his pillow, since then they have been inseperable and she is 6 years old now. Where ever he goes in the house, she goes. All our pets are spoiled, as my husband says...they have a better life than we do.

Angels3
12-26-2000, 10:57 PM
Hi, again. We all loved the stories of Baby & Crystal. Those pussycats were so lucky to find their way into your lives. Did you take a photo when Baby first curled up on your husband's pillow?
We own 3 cats...all rescued! Rosie,the white blue-eyed Himalayan Persian was abandoned with her 3 tiny kittens behind a supermarket. The kittens died & the mother was so weak that the vet thought she would die too. But she came to live with us & survived. We called her Rosie & she became a knockout to look at and a knockout in dominating all the other dogs & cats in the neighbourhood. She's the opposite of Crystal! The men nickname her Claws...even the big Rottie next door pretends she can't see Rosie. Timothy is a handsome black and white
quarter-Persian...rescued from death row at a pound & passed on to us. Family members came upon Katie...a little grey & white kitten...in a horrible, crowded cage in a petshop. And they bought her to rescue her. Like your cats, Rosie & Tim & Katie now live wonderful lives. They think that the 2 shelties are their private army to guard them from harm. And they adore the calm, sweet tibetan spaniel, Angel.
In the future, you will both just love getting your second dog...& so will Camille. Shelley was thrilled when Danny first came...she loved having a playmate.